Author Topic: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72  (Read 12283 times)

Offline IanB

Re: Pegasus Etrich Taube, 1:72
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2022, 03:41:30 AM »
Stick with it PJ! Once you get the basics it all starts coming together quite quickly. YouTube is your friend here!

Good evening everyone!
Here's what I have now after a few tweaks and a reprint.

I have to say, I'm very pleased with that!

I left it on the print plate to dry after washing, then cured it straight away and so far there is no sign of any warping.
I'll take another look tomorrow morning but I think this is as good as I can get it.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Offline IanB

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2022, 08:36:23 PM »
Another few hours tinkering with lines this morning and I then printed the cylinders.

It's only 13mm long so I'm happy with that, although I'll probably shrink the spark plug a bit as it looks far too big! I spent far too long worrying about tidying up details that are not even visible with the magnifier!

Now I need to add the crankcase. I'll probably only do the upper part as it is needed to mount the inlet manifolds and push rods, but the underneath will be hidden so I can live without it!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2022, 11:59:24 PM »
Looks excellent from where I’m looking. What kind of detail would you say you can resolve? Can you make out the individual turns on the springs on the valves for example? Not that I would be able to see it with an unarmed eye anyway…
 I bought a 3D printer a while ago but haven’t worked up the courage to overcome the initial threshold yet.  :-[

Offline IanB

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2022, 01:11:05 AM »
No, the springs can't be seen even with a magnifier. That's not an issue. You can add the detail in the drawing if you want (as I did) but it simply won't show.

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2022, 07:03:00 AM »
Lovely job Ian!

I decided to throw something together in Fusion
As you do! I really need to learn CAD as I have a few friends with 3D printers and that skill would help my builds immensely.
Zac in NZ

Offline William Adair

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2022, 07:34:34 AM »
That looks amazing.  It is very inspiring to see your work and the added detail.  The Taube is very high on my most wanted list. I just need to figure out how to do the spoked wheels.  :)

Offline IanB

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2022, 11:27:48 PM »
Etrich Tauben had covers on the wheels, so you don't need to!

Ian

Offline IanB

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2022, 09:53:54 PM »
I'm starting to wind down here as I'm heading home on Thursday for my Dad's 90th, followed the week after by Telford! Models are packed and ready to go, so instead of starting major work I'm tidying up on some of the small stuff. 

To that end I have reprinted the cylinders as separate items in an effort to get a little more detail and gaps between them. That seems to have worked, so just to get a better idea of how they look I squirted some paint at them today.

I think that will work nicely! I may yet print them again with a small peg on the bottom to help mounting alignment. We'll see.

I have also started to prepare for a future project - an Avro Rota!
I have the RS Models kit and the Amstrong-Siddeley Genet Major engine is not bad but it's extremely visible and I wanted to see if I could find better.

I could! A website by the name of Hip Pocket Aeronautics has downloadable 3d print files for it so I downloaded the files. They are full size so had to be scaled but they have printed up nicely! It is split into crankcase, front cover, cylinder, distributor, breather, inlet pipes, rocker covers, and pushrod covers. A lot of parts to print!

Here is the crankcase with the front cover, breather, and distributor fitted

and with paint

cylinder

That should look far better!
Those bits will now go in a little box and live with the kit until I get around to it!

Thanks for looking in,

Ian

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2022, 08:40:18 PM »
Wow! Your efforts with the printed details really have paid off. That engine looks fantastic. 

Offline RichieW

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2022, 01:53:07 AM »
Wow, 3d printing looks very much like the future of model making judging by your results. I didn't think making the cylinders in such detail was possible but you've definitely cracked it!

Richie

Offline IanB

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2022, 03:08:15 AM »
The newer printers are apparently capable of far better definition than my old Elegoo Mars too!
I wouldn't say it's the future, any more than resin models were, but the ability for "mere mortals" such as myself to make their own parts relatively easily is certainly going to open up the after market parts area.

Ian

Online RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2022, 07:30:56 AM »
3 D printing is way above My Paygrade. I must say I am very impressed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2022, 01:48:31 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates recently but I had hand surgery for Dupuytren's disease 3 weeks ago and am just about to start physio. Hopefully be back on this soon!

Ian

Online RAGIII

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2022, 02:18:10 AM »
My Best wishes for a Speedy recovery from the surgery Ian!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2022, 07:50:59 AM »
Look after yourself Ian! I hope physio goes well and you keep us posted on your progress.
Zac in NZ