Author Topic: Albatros W.4, Eduard 1/48, Update 24.11.2019 Final parts  (Read 15049 times)

Offline Bughunter

Albatros W.4, Eduard 1/48, Update 24.11.2019 Final parts
« on: September 09, 2019, 06:50:50 AM »
Hello my friends!
After my holiday I was out of motivation, mainly because I had no idea, how to create the cockpit cover on the Morane-Saulnier.
Some time ago I cleaned the parts of another kit, so I continue now on this new project.
It seems that I have not enough shelf queens ::) But it is useful, because I have no float plane in my collection until now.

Albatros W4  

So the new project will be this varinat of the Albatros D.I for the german Marine with bigger wings and floats, called W.4
The kit is a old Profipack from Eduard from 2003.

My refrence will be this Mini Datafile:

Floats

So lets start with the floats. Here I had the first problem: the struts between the floats was bent (see the picture on top), so I decided to replace it by a scratched brass part.
This had other advantages: I could correct the size (shhould be smaller compared to the plastic part), I can file and sand it to a streamlined profile, and it is more robust.

Due the smaller size I need to fix the holes in the floats, done with Evergreen profiles. Here in detail, so the brass is glued with CA on a big area. The brass is only profiled between the struts.

The mounted floats are sanded, primed and sanded again.

The floats are painted Gunze H417 "Light Blue", which is a blue grey. 

Then I masked the floats and painted the struts in Gunze H70 grey (green grey).

Finally I applied the kit decals with that big lozenge pattern. Haven't seen that pattern not as aftermarket decals, only the smaller sea pattern.
A lot of decal softener was needed, until the decals showed the underlaying structure.

This was also the test of the decals, because there are much more surfaces to be covered, and this devals are old now and a brittle. But now I'm used to them and prepared for the wings.

A weathering of the floats will follow later. I'm satisfied with the look of my very rigid floats.

I hope you will have some fun following this project!

Cheers,
Frank
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:07:42 AM by Bughunter »
Wikipedia says: A model is a simplified representation of reality.
So I create downscaled originals.

Offline Borsos

Re: Albatros W.4, Eduard 1/48, Start 8.9.2019 Floats
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
Very nice start on this one, Frank.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:29:41 AM »
Great choice Frank, another beauty in the process.

Offline Robin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
Old decals or not and maybe an ocean of Micro Sol...the result looks great. :)

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:07:31 PM »
Great!
I will follow this one as mine is also on going.
Unfortunately due to home relocation I could not post any pics nor study the datafile
Great idea with the struts switch. Too late for my built..either way I will stay tuned with your thread.
regards
K

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »
Great start. You have worked wonders with those Old Decals!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »
Nice!  I think one day I will also build a W4, so I will be watching this one.  Is this an early version or late version? (the early version has the radiators on the sides of the fuselage).

Offline Bughunter

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 12:34:25 AM »
Thank you Andreas, Juan, Robin, K, Rick and Ken. I hope I will not disappoint you with this project!

Rick, you managed it again to miss not an update of a build report, even a new project :D

Is this an early version or late version? (the early version has the radiators on the sides of the fuselage).
I decided for the 964, so it is middle one. The earlier are 747 with different floats, and late 14xx 15xx.
The kit allows 954, 964 and a earlier 786.
The same kit was also once released by Gavia with different decals allowing 958, 1512 and 1486, but I don't own that one.

I was able to do the wings this weekend, I will post a update soon.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 02:20:16 AM »
Good to see a floatplane being built for a change. Those floats have taken some work but the results are first class - as usual with your models Frank. I will be following tis with interest as I do have a soft spot for floaty things - they have an appeal of their own.

Stephen.

Offline Bughunter

Albatros W.4, Eduard 1/48, Update 9.9.2019 Wings
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 03:23:17 AM »
Thank you Stephen! It is always nice to have a float plane addict with me during building one ;D

Wings

This aileron cutting I always do to bring more dynamic and reality into the model.
Please not here the small hole between the strut mounting holes and the aileron. This is the control wire, but how to move them?

With new hinges, a deep cut into the wing and a brass tapering lever (the hole in it is big enough to take a Gaspatch turnbuckle later) it looks much more original. The W.4 Datafile drawings do not show that detail, but the pictures. I used also the Albatros D.I drawings of Windsock Datafile 100, because the W.4 was derived from a D.I. The wings are bigger, but the technology is the same.

The lower wings are one part with a part of the fuselage. Two cuts later I had 3 parts.

Two steel wires and some drilled holes allows a reunion, on the picture together with the complete upper wing.

The next step was grey primer on the top side ...

... and a white primer below.

After applying of a big amount of small masking tape the bottom side was darkened and shadowed, cloudy in stripes.

After removing of the tapes there are white ribs as a base for the next paint layer.

With MRP bleached linen and linen 2 I airbrushed the linen surfaces. The marking field was painted then with MRP bleached linen, which is a off-white, and white

After a layer Future the crosses are applied. The kit contains crosses in different layouts, great! (The color is not true, the white balance was confused somehow. My camera do not like the green cutting board in artificial light.)

And again as macro.

The upper surfaces needs at first Future and then decals. I was positively surprised that the decals for the upper wing has cutouts for the ailerons and the decals for the ailerons was individual parts - thank you, Eduard!
The decal for the upper wind was done as one-piece-affair!

This also as macro. The second layer decals - crosses - are not yet done.

I will tone down the strong colors a bit, also a weathering will follow.
But for now I'm happy with the result.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Albatros W.4, Eduard 1/48, Update 9.9.2019 Wings
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 04:12:17 AM »
   Great choice Frank. This aircraft has always appealed to me and I'd like to do a conversion in 1:32 Scale some day so I'll follow this Build with great interest. It's already showing the exceptional quality you bring to all of your Builds, the decal work is excellent!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 06:36:44 AM »
Nice! 

Everybody needs a floatplane.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 06:44:19 AM »
The wings look Fantastic as we would expect from you Frank!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 09:26:26 AM »
Excellent subject , don't see this one built very often ...following along  :o

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:24 PM »
Superb painting and decal work, Frank, and your treatment of the ailerons is outstanding!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence