Author Topic: Skeletal Scratch Build - 1/48 Morane Saulnier L  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Skeletal Scratch Build - 1/48 Morane Saulnier L
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »
Hi all - for quite some time, I've wanted to do a 'skeletal' scratch build, i.e. build an aircraft with the 'fabric off', so to speak, in my favourite scale of 1/48. I've recently ventured my first steps into this scratch build subject - a scratch built 1/48 Morane Saulnier Type L parasol. I selected this aircraft as my first attempt as it was a relatively simple aircraft, and would allow me to practice some techniques before I tackled something more complex.

What has stopped me to date has been the ability to consistently produce wing ribs - I've tried a few methods in the deep dark past, but nothing really worked. For the last year or so, I've been using a small plotter / cutter to cut painting masks, and a week or so ago I decided to see if I could cut thin (0.010") plastic with it. After fiddling with a few settings, I worked out that I could cut the plastic sufficiently to make such a project at least a little viable. So armed with the Windsock Datafile, I went to work.

The first step was to draw up the wing rib profile. I had no data on the wing construction, other than the profile in the data file, and a few pictures which suggested some of the structure. So I made up something that at least looked plausible. The profile had to be a little thicker than in reality, to account for the brass strip that I had available to use as spars, but the approximation was good enough. Here was step 1:

Next came lots of copying and pasting, and some more adjustments, to come up with the full 'suite' of ribs. Again, I had to make some guesses as to the structure.

After 45 minutes or so of cutting the 0.010" plastic, my plotter produced this:

As the plotter couldn't quite cut through the full depth of plastic, lots of prying, scoring, and general mucking about produced the wing rib profiles I needed. Unfortunately, being so thin, the ribs were very bendy. I thus added spar caps using 0.010" x 0.030" strips; these helped to 'straighten' the ribs:

Next I bent up some wire to replicate the leading and trailing edge wires using the datafile as a guide, leaving a little extra as the wing 'droops' so much in profile:

I then added spars from brass strip for long term rigidity, and started to 'thread' the ribs over the spars and securing them at the spacing as per the datafile:

Sub-spars were then added, and here is where the wing currently is at:

There's still some clean up to do, and more details to add, but the basic structure is now there. It is surprisingly sturdy (and lightweight). I'm reasonably happy with this as my first attempt. Now that i've done this, no doubt someone will post plenty of pictures to tell me how wrong I got it, but oh well...!

Next will be tackling the major fuselage frames - I just need to get hold of the right kind of brass strip, at which point, i'll try my hand at a little bit of soldering...

All feedback / comments / tips for improvement most welcome!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: Skeletal Scratch Build - 1/48 Morane Saulnier L
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
Brilliant, I love the sort of inventiveness you're showing here.
And the Morane L is one of my favourite subjects too, lots of history to it. Not to mention its Thulin and Pfalz derivatives.

Have you been following the construction of the replica in France? They've posted a lot of pictures on Facebook, at any rate; if you haven't seen them, they might answer some of your questions.

Looking forward to following progress on this :)

Mark

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
Hi
Apologies if you're already up to speed on this: if you haven't seen it, search on Facebook for 'La construction de la réplique du Morane-Saulnier Type L'
Otherwise try https://www.facebook.com/MS.TypeL/

Cheers
Mark

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 09:55:35 PM »
You are defendly off to an excellent start Brad , wing is looking excellent so far . With the brass spars you shouldn't have any twisting or warping in the future . Looking forward on following along as you progress on this project .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 12:12:05 AM »
Great work, Brad
I was inspired by the section that you posted last week, so i am waiting for the new Silhouette 4 touching the market  :D

This work is even more impressive

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 04:27:19 AM »
I made a partial stripdown Gunbus earlier and used thicker strip which I cut by hand for the ribs as I thought that 10 thou card would be too thin. However the brass strip for ribs is an excellent idea - I used brass bar for the two spars on my wings - and like you I also used wire for the trailing edge. The wing structure should be strong - mine are.

Best of luck with soldering the fuselage frame - not as difficult as it seems once you have soldered a couple of joints.

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 04:58:54 PM »
Blimey,

That’s amazing Brad! Looks fabulous!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the links to the replica build Mark, much appreciated! It looks like I got some basic right, maybe...  I wonder how accurate their rib patterns are? It's always tricky with replicas, especially flying ones - more contemporary techniques or patterns are used for things that will sit behind canvas covering... certainly their fuselage structure is very different from the examination of original photos in the datafile. Photos of wings in the datafile with the sun shining through them shows that at least a number of early Morane Ls had a supplemental spar behind the rear main spar, and one between the two main spars (the replica seems to omit the supplemental spar between the main spars). Some early prototypes seem to have two supplemental spars between the main spars as well as the supplemental spar behind the rear main spar. So it's all a bit of a guessing game...! :o

Cheers again  ;D

BC
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 06:11:31 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:42:25 PM »
Very impressive start, Brad.  I think with scratchbuilding there are no 'wrong' ways of doing things, only 'easier'.  :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 12:25:11 AM »
Your skills are incredible Brad! That wing is pure Magic!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 01:58:39 AM »

As the plotter couldn't quite cut through the full depth of plastic ... . I thus added spar caps using 0.010" x 0.030" strips; these helped to 'straighten' the ribs ... .

Both my Silhouette Portrait (which I think you have), and my Silhouette Curio cut .010 cleanly. I played with cutting speed and "Force" to get it right. The plastic is nothing out of the ordinary, so don't know if other plastic may be harder. If you want some settings to try, PM me.

If you double up (laminate) the ribs, they will be stronger (says Capt Obvious). :-[

Very impressive what you've done with the wings!!

Gene K

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 07:04:38 PM »
Some minor progress - I now have a fuselage skeleton.

It was made with 0.075" strip (as I couldn't find brass square thin enough), using the datafile plans and a photo of a stripped down fuselage included therein as a guide. It's a simple structure so it didn't take me too long to piece together. I added some slots at the top of the struts to hold the main spar, which works quite nicely - I think I need to deepen the hole for the rear attachment however.

It's all a bit fragile, but should be a bit more solid once the internal bits and bobs go in. Thankfully the lightness of the top wing should assist. I think i'll need to go with some sturdy undercarriage, however...

Cheers,

BC
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:21:03 PM by Brad Cancian »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 07:19:14 PM »
That looks amazing Brad, just jaw-droppingly spectacular. It's always wonderful to see the amazing talent displayed by Forum members.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 11:28:11 PM »
Brilliant Modeling Brad! The wing looks great resting on the fuselage!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 02:57:17 AM »
That is technically very well done!! Looks very sound. I'm guessing the u/c will be brass for the strength needed for the combined wing/fuselage etc

Steve