Author Topic: Help with 1/32 controls - Alliance Endeavour P2  (Read 2325 times)

Offline DavidAV

Help with 1/32 controls - Alliance Endeavour P2
« on: January 28, 2022, 03:11:22 PM »
Hi, I am scratch building an Alliance “Endeavour”. This is one of the entrants in the England to Australia air race of 1919. I am building this in 1/32 scale and I would like the control surfaces to connect back to working rudder and control yoke. Does anyone know if there are control kits available? Ie I am looking for a kit that includes pulleys, mounting brackets, pedals & stick, control horns, etc. I will happily modify something from another aircraft but I am looking for working parts, in metal, so that I can make the model more authentic.

Here are some links to a photo of the aircraft and a few showing my progress so far.

https://flic.kr/p/2n1ZTqG
https://www.flickr.com/gp/194932411@N04/a74J03
https://www.flickr.com/gp/194932411@N04/7v07U0

I have no plans for the aircraft so I have had to draw it up from a few photos and scale from the length and wingspan dimensions I have found on the web. There is a fair bit of guesswork and making some parts that “work”, even though they are not accurate. I am now working on getting an accurate instrument panel. Luckily I have some photos and a list of the instruments that were installed when built. If anyone can help me with some form of kit I can adapt to build working controls it would be most helpful. If not, I will maybe have to keep thinking and test my model making skills!!

I have also added a photo of the 2 wings, now with the ailerons attached. The next step is to attach to the fuselage.

David.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:44:28 PM by DavidAV »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Help with 1/32 controls - Alliance Endeavour P2
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 05:13:35 AM »
What a fascinating subject! Thanks to the 1994 re-enactment I've always had a soft spot for the Smith's Vimy, but I'm very curious to follow your build and learn more about this aircraft and the crew's attempt.
Zac in NZ

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 07:36:39 PM »
That's cool.  Did you laser cut the parts for the wing?

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline DavidAV

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 04:40:11 PM »
Hi Hugh, yes I had the wing ribs laser cut. As I have no plans for the aircraft I have had to make a lot of assumptions. I found a profile for a Nieuport 17 Type N which looked as close as I could estimate from photos I have of the plane. I had a group in Queensland do the laser cutting and they were excellent. They used 1.5mm thick aircraft plywood, 5 ply, to cut the ribs and cut them to my drawings.

Offline ermeio

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 01:18:32 AM »
Excellent and intriguing project
all the best for it
er me

Offline DavidAV

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 09:01:19 AM »
Further update on the build. I carved the propellor yesterday (very roughly) and also found it was made by a company W Oddy in the UK. I am still searching for details on them. The engine cowling still needs some work to fit the engine as 2 of the cylinder banks protrude and I have to carve out these spaces. I also have made rough exhaust pipes. These will be the next things to fit. The object I have put in to hold up the top wing is a fuel tank which is close to actual size. The plane held 515 gallons, a huge amount! This will sit inside, just over the undercarriage after I get the wing struts fitted. I have some 1/32 radios which I will use to make the instrument panel together with some decals. It will not be exact to the aircraft but representative of the era. The top wing struts will also come along soon together with the wing struts. A long way to go but it is now starting to look close to the original.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 12:37:05 AM »
Very Impressive work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler