Author Topic: Skeletal Scratch Build - 1/48 Morane Saulnier L  (Read 8827 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Skeletal Scratch Build - 1/48 Morane Saulnier L
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 03:46:36 AM »
That is super! My experience with the Gunbus is that you will need brass for the u/c - I had problems with weight with mine and I am sure you will too even though the wing is an open structure. I am really enjoying this build - something very different.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2019, 04:54:55 AM »
I have always been an admirer of your work, Brad, but with this one, you've gone beyond anything I've ever seen you do.  Truly remarkable!
Cheers
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 07:21:30 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Indeed I'll use something sturdy for the undercarriage - I have the Eduard kit winging its way over to me as we speak, so I may end up borrowing the etched undercarriage from that, or at least using it as a template for something else.

Anyways, some more very minor progress - an elevator has magically appeared!

I am thinking I might have the rudder with the 'skin on', to show the French colours and add a splash of colour (as everything else will be wood and metal)... thoughts?

Cheers

BC

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »
(a) Brilliant build (b) I would vote for some partial skinning with some colour.
Cheers Matt

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 11:53:00 PM »
   Coming together in spectacular fashion Brad, very nice thus far. I agree, a little fabric to provide some color and contrast is a great idea!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 12:31:51 AM »
Looking great Brat.  Cannot wrap my head around the fact that it is 1/48 (mind blown).

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 04:34:34 PM »
Hi everyone - another minor update - just for fun, I made my first attempt at making my own spoked wheels. This was the first time i'd tried it so it was a little daunting. Here it is, currently unpainted:

I started with kit wheels from the Eduard Albatros D.III - these wheels are very undersized for the Ablatros but are spot on for the Morane. I drilled out the centre, drilled some holes around the rim, then used monofilament to thread the spokes. I am not sure if this is the best material as it's stiff and bows easily, especially around the holes for the spokes. It's tricky to get the treading started and the hub centralised but once ~8-10 spokes are in place it gets a little easier... I learned the hard way when I got halfway through and realised i'd gotten it wrong, and had to undo it all...  :-[

It's not great, but ok for a first try, and I think it will look better than using etched spokes. I'll try to fill or smooth those spoke holes so they will hopefully not be so obvious under a layer or two of paint.

Now that i've worked out roughly how to do it, I now need to do the second wheel...  :o

Cheers,

BC

Bughunter

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 03:26:38 AM »
What a nice project! So you switched very fast from the first ideas into a real strip down model.
And great, that you found some small brass profiles usable as spares.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 03:43:29 AM »
The wheel spokes look great Brad. First Try? Damn!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 04:34:29 AM »
Those spoked wheels look very acceptable to me - and for a first effort I can only write many congratulations - much better than mine!

I would suggest brass rod for the undercarriage rather than photo etch as I think that the latter may not be strong enough - only a suggestion.

Stephen.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
Thanks gents. I now have done the second wheel and I have finished the main undercarriage.

The undercarriage legs are the etched legs from the Eduard kit, reinforced with sanded down plastic struts. This adds some strength and helps get rid of the 'flat' look of the Eduard legs.

I had to do the second wheel on the same axle as the first, as I was too afraid to slide the first wheel off the axle in case it turned into a mess of spokes. Because of this approach, I had to slide the undercarriage legs on first, then work around the three main leg pieces and the first wheel. Thankfully my pet spider behaved and had no problems threading the second wheel. That's why I made sure the axle was quite long - it allowed me to slide things around, including the first wheel. I'll keep the axle long and the wheels free to move for the time being, as this will help with painting (and any final adjustments).  Here are some more pictures of the undercarriage very loosely (and crookedly) taped to the fuselage:

I now have all of the major structural components completed, save the rudder, which I will likely steal from the kit. The project is now very viable.

That's the last update for a while on this one - tomorrow I go overseas on holidays for two months. Glad I made it this far before I left.

Cheers and see you all on the other side!

BC

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2019, 11:21:31 PM »
Incredible work as always Brad! enjoy your Holidays!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 11:34:53 PM »
Excellent engineering again!!

Steve

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 12:56:32 AM »
Scratchy Tastic Brad!

Very well done  :)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 05:12:44 AM »
This is looking good, Brad.  Great scratchbuilding.

Don't forget to paint it!