Author Topic: Halberstadt CL-II and Albatros DVa Stick and Tissue From Old Guillow's Plans  (Read 14944 times)

Offline RAGIII

Your fuselage is really shaping up well Awesome work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

..here is a link to a YouTube showing some sped-up parts of covering the bottom wing with some commentary too.
Thanks, Dan ... very instructional. What/which  Isopropanol do you use?

IAlso, is the tissue you use from volareproducts.com the Easki? They don't carry or are out of white.

Thanks,

Gene K

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

..here is a link to a YouTube showing some sped-up parts of covering the bottom wing with some commentary too.
Thanks, Dan ... very instructional. What/which  Isopropanol do you use?

IAlso, is the tissue you use from volareproducts.com the Easki? They don't carry or are out of white.

Thanks,

Gene K

Hi Gene...

I just use plain ol' iso from my local food store or drug store.  I thin my Tamyia paints with this as well.

I just looked and you are right!  I don't see any white tissue on the Volare site.  I did look at Peck Polymers and they seem to have it!

https://www.peck-polymers.com/japanese-tissue

Cheers,
Dan

Hello All...

Here is a tiny bit more working on the fuselage.  I'm making a little video I'll post later if you want to see some of the "in progress" manipulations.  None would be hard for ANYONE here, I might add.  I'm humbled looking at your work.

Until then...some photos.  Basically, you lay down a keel of 1/16th balsa and then add formers keeping them at right angles.  Then you pull it all off and add formers on the other side. Finally, you add side keels and stringers to fill out the shape.  Next steps will be to sheet in the cockpit area and the nose/engine.  Then I need to reinforce landing gear and cabane attachment points.  It will start coming together pretty quickly!

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Magic!  ;)

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline gbrivio

Great framework.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

Excellent fuselage frame. You are moving along quickly on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Catching up again. Really like the magnets and steel plate for working off the drawings. Watched the videos too and it shines a new light on scratchbuilding. With all that the home made doughnut might still be tops......

Steve

Oh man, Steve...you should taste them.  I've told my son to only make those when I'm out of town.  I'd eat the whole batch at one sitting.

I hope to add some more today and another little video too.  Watch this space...

Dan

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Coming along nicely, Dan.

I presume the fuse will be tissue covered vs. balsa sheeted?  Balsa sheeting would add weight and adversely affect the flying characteristics.

Offline lone modeller

I do love a bit of scratchbuilding, and this is among the best. This will be spectacular when finished, especially as it will fly!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Dan , wish you would hurry up and get her done , I want to see her fly ! :-X

Terri ;)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Hi Ken, Stephen and Terri!

I am trying to work on it...right now I've been bogged down with work but soon, I tell you!

Ken: I'm going to use tissue for the weight savings.  The nose and area around the engine and cockpit will be 1/32nd sheet, though. If I put some color on the tissue, it will look pretty nice even though you can see the stringers. 

Thanks (again) for looking and spurring me on (Terri!)... >:( ;) ;D

Dan

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Sheeting the front makes sense to me, as you will probably need to add weight in the nose to get the balance point right anyway.  Also the sheeting will be more durable than tissue in the underside area of the nose.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Your welcome Dan !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .