Author Topic: Halberstadt CL-II and Albatros DVa Stick and Tissue From Old Guillow's Plans  (Read 14945 times)

Offline Jeff K

watching with interest. last time i build a stick 'n' tissue the sticks went fine, the tissue not so much. in my defense i was 12 at the time.

i'm keen on crashing--i mean flying--oh who am i kidding, i mean crashing--some models. the Micro Aces foamie kits look superb, but your build has me contemplating sticks 'n' tissue. it's how the originals went together!

micro-miniature, ultra light weight R/C hardware has progressed so far that even if i build a small one i can R/C it up and crash it. i haven't built anything tiny yet, but if you're interested in going crazy and making an RC ship i can drop links to sites with tiny parts, etc.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Holy Hannah...I can't believe it's been that long!  So many things on the fire and real life getting in the way.  You all know the idea.
Anyway, I got the fuselage finished and started some painting.  Now I can start assembly and there is a chance I'll get her done by the August deadline.  Maybe not test flown, but we'll see!
Thanks for looking...Dan

Offline RAGIII

Really looking great! I Love the scheme, Jasta 6 I presume?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Hi Rick!

Certainly based on that Jasta but really just which paint I had that looked nice to me...I'm sure not making a specific pilot's plane.  I really want to get this thing at least gliding.  Our weather right now is thermal city.  I'd love to see this thing soar!

Dan

I did get a bit more done tonight.  V-struts, landing gear, tail skid and the wings fitted.  Lots to do, of course, but it's looking quite elegant I must say.  Detailing and finishing should be done by the 1st with a little luck.  ::)
Cheers,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

A beautiful Biplane!
RAGIII

Offline Radarman

Dan,
It's good to see you back up and running with this one.

Take it easy,
                                Kevin in Port Orchard
We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

Good to see that this is still on the go. Looking forward to pictures of it in flight too - even if it is only gliding.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Well Dan , now that is looking very sweat so far . However though I have a few questions .

Was there a vac engine in the kit ? It looks weird with out an engine in place , but on the other hand it does give it a more steam line loo to her .

Would that be a weight issue with vac engine added and guns ? Can't forget the guns !

Looking forward to the next update

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Thanks Stephen, Kevin (howdy from across the water!) and Terri.  I actually got the cabanes in tonight and all the bits painted up but still more to go.

Terri:  Don't worry...and engine will follow along with guns!  I need to watch the overall weight as the lighter it is, the better it will fly and be much easier to trim.  However, if you are going to add weight, the nose is where it should be as most planes, due to center of gravity etc., end up tail heavy.  So far, this Albi is no exception so adding balsa and paper parts up front will not be an issue.  No vac parts.  I will just make everything from balsa, paper and wire.  It won't be WNW, but it will look just fine especially in the air (if it flies with scale dihedral etc.)!

Thanks again for looking.  I'll post more tomorrow when I'll try working on the nose plug/spinner assembly.

Cheers,
Dan

All,
Not done yet, but I did test it outside and looks really promising.  Still needs rigging, engine, radiator, cockpit edging and, of course, machine guns.  It's so close now!

Since it was built to fly and I didn't modify the kit outlines, some issues do arise like the spinner is too small, the cabanes are in the wrong places on the fuselage, the wheels may be too small and the fuselage seems pretty fat to me.  But!  It does look nice gliding along and I hope it's a good tribute. 

Next post should be all done and I'll link a video of it's maiden!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

Looks like an Excellent Albatros to Me...and it flies  8)
RAGIII

Offline dtomko

That looks fantastic!  I haven't built a stick and tissue kit in probably 30 years. 
Drew

Offline lone modeller

Really Dan, accuracy is much less important in a flying model! This is truly imprseeive and if it flies it would win my vote for a prize because it is so different and original. Des would have approved, of that I am certain.

Stephen.

Offline aliluke

Just realised I let this log fly right past me! It looks brilliant and when it flies it'll be a winner for sure.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.