Author Topic: Halberstadt CL-II and Albatros DVa Stick and Tissue From Old Guillow's Plans  (Read 14941 times)

Offline RAGIII

Again this looks Awesome! I have an old Guillows kit of the Camel I purchased about 4 years ago. You are making it tempting to pull out, dust off the box, and take a look  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Thanks again, Rick!  I just put on "my" Jasta colors on the tail.  Just some 3M post-it tape cut in thinner strips and airbrushed black Tamiya flat acrylics.  I don't think the weight penalty is too bad.  I also got the tails hinged as well!

I'll attempt to make some masks for the rudder and bottom wing markings tonight and see if I can't get those suckers on too...

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Man , this is really coming together super so far Dan , love how the lozenge turned out on the wings  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Thanks, Terri.  It's going quite well!  Now if the dang thing will actually fly!!!!!

I sprayed on the markings tonight using Loctite to turn plain ol' paper into a slightly tacky mask.  I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and then the paper would stay on for a nice, crisp edge, but not pull up the delicate tissue.  Worked a treat as I've never tried this before.  I don't know how common it is.  Likely everyone does this... ::)

Anyway, I'll start covering the top wings tomorrow using the same techniques, spray on the markings and then start the fuselage before next weekend! 

There is an IPMS show coming up in my parts in two weeks and I need to get my WNW Halbersadt done too!  I hope I make it.

Cheers and thanks for looking...Dan  ;)

All...
Here is a family portrait of all the markings and plane parts to date.  I got the top wing all covered etc. today and it went well.  I'll start the fuselage next and it will begin to look like a real Albatros soon!

Thanks again for looking and the encouragement.
Dan

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Wow Dan, great workmanship.  The family portrait looks great...  Hoping the rest of the family joins in the fun.

Offline RAGIII

All of the Markings turned out Fantastic! Lovely work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Very coool ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

Dan I am catching up after a long break: I cannot express in words just how impressed I am with this build. I like it because it is just so differnt, but also because it is so realistic. You have written that it is like building a miniature of the original and it seems that is exactly what you are doing. Your modelling skills are so varied - just wish I had a few of them.

Stephen.

Thanks Juan, Rick, Terri and Stephen!  Much appreciated.  This one is really fun to make and tonight I'll start the fuselage!  Can't wait.  I need to be careful from this point on as it still needs to be light enough to fly well.  Hopefully that all goes according to plan!

If you have a few minutes/are bored/slightly interested...here is a link to a YouTube showing some sped-up parts of covering the bottom wing with some commentary too.  All other coverings were just the same but it would give you a flavor (at least).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFS_ifO1R4o

Cheers and more soon,
Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
This will fly in the end ? ....I got to see that . Will you be doing a video ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

This will fly in the end ? ....I got to see that . Will you be doing a video ?

Terri

HECK YEAH!!!!!

Offline gbrivio

How amazing these flying surfaces, and great videos. It's really going to be something very special.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Beautiful, amazing!!!!

Dan you're a real master!!!!

Antonio

Thanks Antonio and Giuseppe!

Here is the fuselage started.  I cut out all the formers and the main top and bottom keels.  Keels and the formers forward of the cockpit are 1/16th balsa while the formers toward the rear are 1/32nd to save weight.  A side keel goes along this guy and the we'll pull it all off the board and put the mated formers on the other side.  Then...stringers!

Thanks for looking (again)!
Dan