Author Topic: Halberstadt CL-II and Albatros DVa Stick and Tissue From Old Guillow's Plans  (Read 14951 times)

Online NinetythirdLiberator

First...thanks, Dave, for spear heading this great tribute.  What I liked the most about Des was that he made everyone welcome.   Great suggestions and a true gentleman, not to mention his incredible skill!

I've decided to start out with a couple of balsa free flight models as a change of pace.  I think Des would've approved.  I'll be getting my balsa sheet soon so these will basically be "scratch built".  With luck, I'll post a video showing them flying!

So here are my kits:  basically plans downloaded from a great flying model site/archive called "The Outerzone".

I have some other scratch plastic ideas as well.  Wish me luck!
Dan

Offline gbrivio

This will be an intriguing build, and I'm sure it's really challanging as probably every bit is made from scratch.
Wish you good luck and lot of modelling fun.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online Thumbs up

That's great Dan! These can be turned into great scale models with a little weight compromise. I'm building a 1/32 Bristol Scout from a Cleveland plan that I hope to show on this forum some time.

Offline Monty

What an ambitious but beautiful project, Dan! This one demands our attention! And Des would have loved it... Regards, Marc

Online RAGIII

I am looking forward to this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Good luck! I cant imagine building them and then risking them getting airborne.....

Steve

Thanks, Guys...your attention makes it worth while.  I start the Albatros tonight.

And Steve:  Get a load of this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_OwxtBXKg

It's CO2 powered and mine will be rubber, but holy cow...and a Camel to boot!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Dan,
Talk about walking down Memory Lane! I'm so looking forward to following this thread my old friend. As a young boy I built all the Guillow's WWI line with the exception of the Albatros DVa. That one I don't even remember I'm afraid. I do remember that the Halberstadt flys well if you get the CG just right. All the best of luck to you Dan and thanks for the memory refresh.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Thanks, Gregory!  This one is a good memory for me too since I remember my Dad trying to fly it off a hill and it had 2 pennies epoxied to each side of the nose!  I recall it stalled a lot and crashed even more so this one is for Des and my Dad...

Here is a bit of progress.  I intend to make some videos to show the build as well so I'll add links later.  But the first thing is to make some nice 1/32nd x 1/16th balsa laminations wrapped around the outlines of the tails to get strong and light starts to the tails.  I just used the outline from the plan, glued it to some cardboard, spread bar soap around the edges (so the wood won't stick to the form) and then, after putting some glue between the thin balsa sheets that I soaked for about 15 minutes in hot water in the sink (2 long lengths so I'm actually wrapping a 1/16th x 1/16th balsa outline) wrapped them around the forms, pulled them tight and held them in place with some strong magnets on a piece of metal.  This way, there are no pins to poke the wood and I never go the hang of holding the wood without actually pinning through it.  This way, things work out just great.  I'll leave these to dry overnight and be ready to start building the actual tails tomorrow!  Light and strong.  I may make them hinged but we'll see...

I hope this makes some sense...here are the pictures:

Note that the tails will be a 1/16th of an inch larger around than on the plan, but hey!  You usually need more tail surface area anyway...especially for free flight!  ::)

And here's the first video installment.  Lots of pretty music and it's only about 4 minutes long.  It may show better than I can describe if you are not familiar with these little balsa models!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAlEidRqFs

More soon!
Dan  :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:37:29 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Tiny update tonight:  after drying for 24 hours, the laminated edges are nice and strong and kept their shapes.  The split in the stabilizer is no problem and will be filled in.  The soaped up edges really paid dividends...

Tomorrow, I'll actually add the interior sticks and finish them!

More soon,
Dan

Offline gbrivio

Interesting to see woodworking techniques in your video, I'm looking forward to your progress.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Great start Dan, very interested in following your builds.

Online RAGIII

Great start and awesome wood working technique!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Thanks, guys!  I hope this will be helpful and interesting to everyone especially if they haven't seen these little guys made before!   ;D

I got the stabilizer and elevator done.  Besides the laminated outline, I used 1/16th square for the elevator separation and along where the tail joins the fuselage while the rest is 1/32 x 1/16th thus saving some weight.  I hope the movable surfaces will aid in trimming.  They will be attached with twisty tie wire for easy bending.  More soon and tanks again for looking...Dan

Offline lone modeller

This is scratch building with a difference Dan. I too am not sure that I would want to put all the time nd effort into something which might be wrecked on the first flight!!

Will be following with interest nonetheless - the more so as it is your model that is at risk!!

Stephen.