Author Topic: Completed - Wingnut Wings Roland C.II - COMPLETED!  (Read 19671 times)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Wingnut Wings Roland C.II
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2019, 01:58:41 AM »
That scumbling looks fantastic Eric.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2019, 06:01:15 AM »
Very subtle and outstanding results!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2019, 11:10:52 PM »
The effect turned out wonderful Eric , very well done  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Borsos

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2019, 04:16:40 AM »
Very nice finish on the fuselage. This is going to become a masterpiece. This “scrumbling” finish, where did you get the information on that? I have read a little about the Roland Walfisch but I think I missed this new theory regarding their paint finish.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2019, 12:01:59 PM »
Very nice finish on the fuselage. This is going to become a masterpiece. This “scrumbling” finish, where did you get the information on that? I have read a little about the Roland Walfisch but I think I missed this new theory regarding their paint finish.
Andreas

Thank you Borsos, and all the others, for those kind comments.

As for the "scumble" finish, I first learned of it from the kit's description and instructions which can be seen on the WNW site. 

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3109

There is also an excellent article in the Summer 2014 Windsock World War Centenary on Roland colors in which the field-applied 'scumbling' camouflage is mentioned. 

Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »
Yay...something for my Roland that's not blue! Just finished the prop. Wood effect done with Burnt and Raw Umber oil paints over mixes of brown/tan and brown/pale yellow primer. Final finish is Gunze Mr Color Super Clear Gloss.

Eric
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 02:14:35 PM by eclarson »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2019, 11:45:53 PM »
Beautiful Prop! One to be proud of for sure!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2019, 03:08:39 AM »
Andreas

Thank you Borsos, and all the others, for those kind comments.

As for the "scumble" finish, I first learned of it from the kit's description and instructions which can be seen on the WNW site. 

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3109

There is also an excellent article in the Summer 2014 Windsock World War Centenary on Roland colors in which the field-applied 'scumbling' camouflage is mentioned. 

Eric

Thank you!!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
Time for an update.  The exhaust unit was done by applying layers of Mig AMMO Rust Effects paints over a base of Gunze Mr Metal Color Iron. 
The fuselage decals are done and performed flawlessly with the help of Micro Set/Sol and hot air from a hair dryer, the latter used on the large ones.
The pilot's leather cockpit trim is various oil paints over Andrea and Vallejo acrylic leather colors.

Eric

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »
The markings really bring it to life Lovely work all around.
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2019, 08:09:50 AM »
Trying to keep up with all of these builds has been very difficult so I have not commented on this much before. The fuselage colour is amazing - you have a slightly streaky effect which is so much more realistic than the plain colours that I have seen first hand on several of these models. The weathered effects on the exhaust and engine are also super - again so realistic.

This really is first class modelling in the making.

Stephen.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2019, 10:31:54 AM »
Trying to keep up with all of these builds has been very difficult so I have not commented on this much before. The fuselage colour is amazing - you have a slightly streaky effect which is so much more realistic than the plain colours that I have seen first hand on several of these models. The weathered effects on the exhaust and engine are also super - again so realistic.

This really is first class modelling in the making.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen, Thank you for those kind comments!   You might be interested to learn that the streaky effect represents a crude field-applied attempt at camouflaging the plain colours in which the aircraft was originally finished so models done either way are correct! In fact, the instructions show a series of photos of this particular aircraft at various stages in its life starting with the plain original paint then with the streaky "scumble" effect and finally with some kind of tinted varnish which appears to have been applied over the upper surfaces. 

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Wonderful effect on the fuselage, Eric. I think this will be the best Roland with the shark mouth that I have seen.
Great,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline eclarson

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2019, 12:36:02 PM »
Painting, decals, and weathering of the fuselage are finished and the undercarriage attached.  Some minor touch-up painting remains to be done then it's on to the tail and wings! 
The prop and spinner are only temporarily fitted for these pics.

Eric

Offline S.BREGUET

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2019, 08:20:59 PM »
Fabulous! An outstanding work and a perfect skill of the painting. And it's very instructive.

Thank you "Herr Meister" !

Stéphane.