Author Topic: Completed - Wingnut Wings Roland C.II - COMPLETED!  (Read 19979 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Wingnut Wings Roland C.II
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2019, 03:25:18 PM »
Beautiful work. The engine looks great with the nice sparkplugs. Sad that you have to close the fuselage.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online RAGIII

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2019, 09:40:23 PM »
The interior and engine certainly look Gorgeous! Looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »
Fantastic Eric !  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline eclarson

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
Last look before the Roland's fuselage halves are joined.  Fortunately, between the large cockpit openings, big side windows, and the option to leave off the engine cowling panels, much of the detail will still be visible.  And for what's not...I still have the photos.  :)

Eric

Online RAGIII

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2019, 11:00:29 PM »
Really looks Awesome in place in the interior. Superb work!
RAGIII

Offline eclarson

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2019, 12:33:17 PM »
Last peek before the "lid" is installed.  I plan on leaving the cowling panels off though so much of the upper engine detail will still be visible.  I painted most of the fuselage exteriors before putting everything together in hopes of reducing the masking task to prevent overspray getting inside but as it turned out there will still be much careful masking required.

The real Roland fuselages were constructed from wood, in halves, much like a model, then joined with a fabric strip covering the seams.  Wingnut represents these with raised ridges on the fuselage half edges but I felt they were too high and narrow.  Not to mention difficulty in getting an even appearance when gluing the halves together.  Therefore, I sanded down the ridges and replaced them with .010" x .030" Evergreen strip glued down using Tamiya Extra Thin liquid cement.  Once dry, the strips are thinned further by careful sanding.

The upper strips have been sanded...

while those on the underside were just glued down so will be allowed to dry overnight before sanding.

After that, let the masking begin!  For the light blue paint I'm using Hataka lacquers - a mix of 10 parts C293 Extra Light Blue (FS25550) to 1 part C319 Light Sea Blue (FS25200).
For the scumble effect I'll be using artist oil paints using a yet-to-be-determined mix of blue, white, and light blue-grey. 

Eric

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 12:39:10 PM by eclarson »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
Outstanding work on engine and interiors. And a great tip on sealing fuselage seams.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2019, 07:56:45 PM »
Excellent work on the taped seams! Looking terrific!
RAGIII

Offline eclarson

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
With the fuselage all together and the light blue base color painted, I've begun to apply my interpretation of the so-called "scumble" effect.  After some research and studying of reference photos, I decided to use artist oil paints using a technique similar to how I do wood grain and leather effects.  A closeup photo at the bottom of page 23 of Windsock Datafile #49 shows what I hope to accomplish.  That it is of the actual aircraft I'm doing is an added bonus.  Based on what I've learned, vertical surfaces will receive a random vertical streaking while horizontal surfaces will be more of a dabbed on look. 

A trip to the local arts and crafts store netted me a tube of medium blue-gray oil paint which mixed 50/50 with white resulted in a color that I felt gave an appropriate contrast to the base color.   A drop of fast drying thinner was added to the paint mix which was first applied in small dots to the surfaces.  Using bits of foam rubber sponge and several types of brushes the paint was then streaked or dabbed over the surface.  After experimenting on an old test wing, I did the wing struts and other parts last night and moved on to the fuselage tonight, starting at the tail.

Eventually, per WNW's painting instructions, the same color will be dabbed over the bleached linen areas on the upper wing surfaces.

Eric

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
You guys keep costing me more money with these beautiful builds. She looks fantastic.

Offline Edo

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
beautiful eric!
you sre a real artist!
i keep learning (and stealing  ;) ) from you!
ciao
edo

Online RAGIII

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
Very well done. I am looking forward to seeing the final results of your oil work!
RAGIII

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
Catching up again. Interesting update and good info on the fuselage seam.

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »
Very well done. I am looking forward to seeing the final results of your oil work!
RAGIII

second this ...

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline eclarson

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2019, 01:25:18 AM »
"Scumble" finish on the fuselage has been completed.

Eric

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:18:06 PM by eclarson »