Author Topic: Completed - Wingnut Wings Roland C.II - COMPLETED!  (Read 19912 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Wingnut Wings Roland C.II
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 09:34:15 PM »
Well, it looks good, Eric.  If I may ask, what was the nature of the problems?  Was it the spacing between the valve train and the cylinders, one cylinder to the next?

Offline eclarson

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 09:15:26 AM »
Well, it looks good, Eric.  If I may ask, what was the nature of the problems?  Was it the spacing between the valve train and the cylinders, one cylinder to the next?

Thanks.   I made some mistakes attaching the parts thinking I should drill holes where the springs go, after clipping off the kit bits, into which the little nub at the base of the resin spring should go.  This led to inconsistencies in angles and spacing between the springs and the valve train.  Compounding that was the realization that the resin valve train piece is a little too long, a problem I later learned that others have encountered as well.  That was easily fixed by cutting the shaft, the material removed shortening the section enough to align properly with the cylinders.  I then struggled with getting the valve lifters (not sure if that's the correct term) in place due to some springs being too close. 

At that point I thought there was no saving it so set it aside for the night with plans on ordering a new engine from WNW and skipping the resin.  The next day I thought to search here for others who had used the Taurus sets and after reading a couple, it dawned on me that I should have removed the springs' lower nub and glued them right onto the cylinder heads without drilling holes while at the same time fitting the valve lifters.  So I carefully cut off the springs with spacing problems and also shortened the top pins which fit under the lifters.  One at a time, each lifter was glued in place with Gator Grip Glue which held it in place yet allowed plenty of work time, then the spring put in position using thin CA applied to the base and upper pin to secure it only after it was in place.

Please excuse the lengthy explanation but I figured the details may help others on their first attempt using one of the Taurus sets.  They really do look great once installed and I will use them again now that I know what I'm doing.  :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Sounds like you're still on your own when putting these together despite the Taurus instructions.  The results do look good. 
I can't figure out how Taurus makes the masters and then casts these microscopic pieces with all the detail.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »
No, it is not a giant penny.  Those are the Taurus spark plugs that I finished installing tonight.  I really don't know how Lukasz does it.  :)

Eric

Online RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
Excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eclarson

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »
All's well that ends well!  My Roland's engine, a 160hp Daimler-Mercedes D.III,  is done.  In spite of struggling a bit with the Taurus valve train upgrades, I'm pleased with the final results.  Sadly, some of the details will be hidden in the completed model. 

Eric

Offline aliluke

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 05:14:13 PM »
Looking great Eric. I'm just struggling through the spark plug wiring at the moment. You do wonder why you do it when it is all hidden away? But then you just can't resist the challenge and the photos will be the reminder of what you made even if no one else can see it.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Edo

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »
excellent engine Eric!
i like it very much...
your craftmaship is second to none!
cioa
edo

Online RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 09:41:57 PM »
Beautiful work on the engine. Love the details!
RAGIII

Offline eclarson

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 12:46:56 AM »
Thank you all again for the kind comments.

As the time approaches to close up the fuselage, I want to take time to offer some advice to anyone planning on building one of the WNW Roland C.II kits.  The instructions would have you join the vertical tail/rear fuselage parts (B13 and B14) then install that unit onto the already closed fuselage.   Doing it this way can easily result in gaps or other fit issues that will be difficult to deal with.
Instead, attach B13 and B14 to their respective fuselage halves first and dry fit the two completed sides to ensure everything lines up.  As you can see, this results in a near perfect fit with only minor seams in front and behind the horizontal tail slot to be addressed.

Cheers,
Eric

Online RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2019, 01:06:37 AM »
Excellent progress and a great building tip!
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2019, 08:10:59 AM »
Excellent progress and a great building tip!
RAGIII

Ditto on all accounts !!!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:22 AM »
Wonderful engine!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »
Thanks guys!  Fortunately, Wingnut provides the upper engine covers as separate parts which can be left off to allow more of the engine details to be seen.  In fact they recommend doing just that in the instructions.   So, today's progress was bringing it all together - the Roland's engine has been installed which completes the interior structure. Next step is to enclose this in the fuselage.

Eric

Offline Edo

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »
it s a pity to close the fusolage...