Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt  (Read 15281 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:41 AM »
Breathtaking start on the Halberstadt and great news regarding the Aviattic cookies — as I intend to build another Halberstadt Cl. II for this group build here. But when I am looking at your pictures, I rethink these plans as I won’t be able to keep up with this wonderful interior here.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 06:15:50 PM »
Man I need to take quick build lessons from you!

Ryan

I totally agree.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Monty

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 12:55:33 AM »
Quite exquisite work, Guy! And a real fast start too... can't wait to see this lovely kit take shape - you will do it more than justice!!
Regards,
Marc

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:36 AM »
Breathtaking start on the Halberstadt and great news regarding the Aviattic cookies

Andreas

Hi Andreas, yep, was really pleased about those. I got the first one off the press  :)

Man I need to take quick build lessons from you!

Ryan

I seem to go for speed over quality!

Engine finished... I’ve replaced the kit rocker springs with coiled fuse wire & used a couple of Taurus spark plug from an older build, but otherwise kept it simple on the bits that won’t be on show.

The brass plate at the front is copying from period pics where quite a few had this, I guess, protective plate for the engine.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 01:17:26 AM »
Your engine is looking terrific! Great start to your build
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 01:21:44 AM »
 Guy,
Now that's an outstanding bit of modeling my old friend. Keep up the excellence and the best of luck in the GB.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 01:54:55 AM »
Excellent job on the painting Guy , looks awesome  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 03:24:26 AM »
Thanks Rick, Gregory & Terri  :)

Ready to close her up!

Thanks

Guy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 04:41:32 AM »
Gorgeous interior! You are working quickly but the results do not show any sign of haste!

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 04:51:59 AM »
Very very very nice!!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2019, 05:36:21 AM »
Fantastic build so far Guy, that engine and interior are first class.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
Wow!!! I used your Hannover build as the reference build when I did mine. Now we have the new reference for the Halberstadt!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »
Splendid work for sure Guy, keep the pics flowing.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2019, 05:30:18 AM »
Thank you Ryan, Rick, Andreas & Alistair  ;)

Progress continues apace...

Fuselage together. As usual it took me ages to get rid of the seam line- I seem to have a modelling block over these. Even now there’s still a faint line visible...

I was planning on cementing the struts after painting - fearing I’d hamfistedly break them off during painting, but after dry fitting everything I figured the cowling would need to be glued in place before painting; meaning I’d have to glue the struts in situ regardless. The cowling on mine seemed to be a very tight fit and I realised I’d have a bit of a fight on my hands to glue in place - meaning I’d really have to do it pre painting to prevent a gluey mess. The fit, I’m sure, is fine, maybe it was something I did. I ended up having to epoxy and clamp in place. Having glued it all, I think I had to take that approach. It may well be different on your model...

I used the top centre wing section (not glued) to make sure the struts dried at the right angles. I found the strut attachment points not quite as a click fit as I was hoping, so it’s obviously important to get these right.

So, I primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500 grey, then a light coat of Alclad Aluminium on the (aluminium) cowling, followed by a squirt of hairspray before an overall coat of Vallejo light grey green. I then sprayed freehand a rough lozenge (with a little imagination!) pattern with a further 4 colours (blue, dark green, red brown, mid brown). I figured it didn’t have to be too accurate as it would be ‘blended’ with the stippling effect to come.

Stippling next. I just followed the guidance given on the WWs website for this and found it worked perfectly; that is adjusting the air pressure down until you get a light, but consistent, splatter. I was expecting some issues with this method but I didn’t have any - it was actually pretty straightforward; for a change! Just make sure the paint is suitablely thinned. I used a mix of yellow and light green. Great fun!

Then, armed with a tooth pick - I scratched away at the edges of the cowling. This always looks so much more realistic than a post application to me...

Finally done and quite happy with the overall effect  :)

Guy

Offline Ryan

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2019, 06:36:23 AM »
Guy that really does look like the effect, well done.

I have (3) of these Halbies in the stash, your build makes me want to start one for the tribute build...but then no, as it would be held against your high standard!

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!