Author Topic: Nieuport 17, late version, Copper State Models 1:32  (Read 19538 times)

Offline Borsos

Nieuport 17, late version, Copper State Models 1:32
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
Dear all,

since I hearded about CSM's plans to release a Nieuport 17 for the first time, I could hardly wait to get one. I love the Nieuport biplanes and although the venerable Hobbycraft kit surely was a good one in its times, these times are long gone.
When Edgar asked me if I would build one and put it onto a base like I did with my Special Hobby Nieuport 11, of course I agreed immediately. So I was honored with a free example of this formidable new kit which is phraised all over the internet. I am very grateful to Edgar for this honor and could hardly wait starting the kit since I received it. But an annoying cold kept me off the work bench for two weeks and forced me to consume more tea than I ever had before intented to drink in my whole lifetime.
My intention is to build this kit completely out of the box, and it is a great coincidence that after browsing through the parts and the instructions there remainded nothing in my eyes which would have to be added anyway. All you need is in the box :)
Meanwhile I went through my library (which is a pure euphemism for my messy shelves) and picked out the most important literature on the Nieuport 17.

The good thing being ill was that I had plenty of time to choose a color sheme, which is always a pain for me. This very case doesn't ease the pain as there are countless striking color schemes for the Nieuport 17 and the kit alone gives four decal options. I tend to avoid kit's decals, in most cases simply because I want to do a certain scheme that is no part of any decal sheet, but in this case here I will go with the kit's decals. The choosen options look too good and are obviously too well researched. My choice fell on André René Celestin Herbelins Nieuport 17 from Escadrille N102 in late 1916 or early 1917. The serial is unknown, but the walking Death and the words "risque tout" gives it its own morbid beauty. And there is another reason for this color scheme. The only original picture I could find of this machine showed it obviously with removed engine covers which makes it possible to show more of the greatly detailed interior of this kit.

I am eagerly waiting for some modelling time in the next days.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Nieuport 17, late version, Copper State Models 1:32
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:01:01 AM »
Looking forward to your build. I am sure I will learn a lot that will help with my own build as you progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 04:00:41 PM »
Cool! Another one - mine is in the box for a wee while yet so I have a lot to learn and look forward to.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Edo

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »
yeah! me too!
I’ll use the informations I gather here as a guide when I’ll build mine :D
hope you’ll get well soon so to start your build!
ciao
edo

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
Oh, a great kit will be transformed into a beauty - I'm sure!
Have fun!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 12:30:40 AM »
Looking forward to your build, this kit is a beauty.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:16 AM »
Thank you very much Rick — I am sure I will learn from your build. Thank you very much Alistair, Edo, Frank and Juan. Your following is much apprechiated.

sorry for having let you wait for so long, but it took me a while until I had some parts in my hands that looked worth taking a picture of and posting it here. I followed the instructions and cleaned up all the tiny interior parts that I glued together in subassemblies that would ease painting. I used my usual Gunze and Tamiya colors for the spray paint job and my Spanish Acrylics for brush painting. For the wood grain I used acrylics this time to fasten the drying time.

I still have serious troubles with my photo hosting page as they suddenly fail to show up propper links to embed photos on forums. Therefore I had entirely to stop posting on the great French forum at the moment and I have to excuse for any distorted pictures here. As soon as time allows I will fix that and seek for another picture hosting page that works fine.

As this is going to be an OOB build for the German internet magazine „kitchecker“ that I am writing for from time to time, I did not add any parts to the cockpit that are not in the box besides of the rigging material. As usual I use flexible stuff here for the interior due to the fragility of the small parts. The fit of the interior is fantastic and I didn’t have any fitting problems until now. And although the cockpit is a very busy place there is no problem with interfering parts when you follow exactly the instructions.

best regards
Andreas
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:10:38 PM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
Andreas,
    That's a great start, the wood work is "top drawer". I also like the grey blue on the metal frame, is it Vallejo PRU Blue like Rag III used or a different paint? This is a great Kit and, after doing the "In Box" Review recently I can't wait to start it! I'm looking forward to seeing more as you work your magic with this Kit.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 01:57:23 PM »
Stunning wood work Andreas! I may have to go back and do a little more to some of my parts  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
Beautiful office, Andreas!  I love what you've done with the place!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
Nice and clean cockpit. I like your painting.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 06:01:32 PM »
Wonderful! I'm always amazed by your painting technique. Especially how you create such great contrasts.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 12:13:47 AM »
Nice work and very quick, too. Love your wood painting style.

Cheers

Syd

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 05:14:05 AM »
That is a superb piece of modelling so far - well up to your usual very high standards. I am truly amazed at the amount of detail in this kit and you are doing it all great justice.

Stephen.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 06:16:15 AM »
Another very nice Nieuport 17 in the making! I really like your wood-tones, as well as the blue-ish grey colour! :)