Author Topic: Hanriot HD2 floatplane Eduard 1/48  (Read 11076 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: Hanriot HD2 floatplane Eduard 1/48
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:23 PM »
Really love those screw heads.  That's just the kind of detail a lot of kits need.  What did you make them with?
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2020, 03:07:43 AM »
   Your detail gets better with every update, this is already outstanding and is going to be spectacular when completed. Great Build Log and a true pleasure to follow!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline huberlu

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2020, 02:48:22 AM »
Really love those screw heads.  That's just the kind of detail a lot of kits need.  What did you make them with?

Hello!
Thank you.

The rivets are made on decals with surfacer and a stencil:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=5758.135

Regards.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2020, 06:20:14 AM »
I am catching up as I seem to have missed tis for a while. The engine looks real - just needs oil and petrol and a current to fire the plugs! The other details are truly remarkable - difficult to remember just how small some of them are.

Stephen.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2020, 03:30:07 AM »
This looks fantastic!!

Offline huberlu

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2021, 06:51:43 AM »
Hi!!!

I got back to work!

After long hesitation on the color to use to paint the plane (canvas color, gray, other?) I opted for the more classic: Natural canvas color.

If you look a little in the photos of Italian HD1 we do not find these stripes on the wings of camouflaged planes. They are only seen on aluminum-colored planes and those presumed to be canvas-colored.
In the 1st version of Windsock on the HD1 we can clearly see the canvas reinforcements on the fenders:

So I cut out of decals (FW190 1/32 old decals red and white stripes from under the plane that have turned yellow). There really is a lot of reinforcement to be done. They are a little less than 1/2 mm wide. I put them on wings that were already painted (and weathered a little) so that their color stands out. I may pass a veil of paint so that it still cuts a little less.

I only have the outlines of the wings to do ...

The floats were masticated for a long time and painted gray. As nobody knows which gray to use I thought of taking the gray of the navy boats used during the conflict.
Too dark!

So I cut with white. 1 part of gray blue XF18 for 5 of white. The color is a bit bluish and reminds me of the color of German seaplanes.

I added fixings to the floats which will be painted blue.

They will be dirty, it's decided.

I took the only image I know where we see something:

I started to smear them using oil paint. I must finish them.

The decoration is almost finished on the fuselage. I have to do some touch-ups.
The codes are painted with a stencil. The code on the right side should have been closer to the bird's wing I think (like the other side). The swift is made in oil.

Regards.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »
Nice to see you back on this one again , great job on the painting and the off color tapes real bring it all together .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2021, 11:30:30 AM »
I agree that is is great to see this one coming back! Excellent details on the float support struts and the wing painting and rib tapes!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline huberlu

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2021, 07:20:40 AM »
Thank you,

I made the protective plates on each side of the fuselage and the small hatches that are used for whatever.

The headrest is made with the cushion provided for the seat that I cut so that it fits and goes down into the fuselage at the level of the pilot's shoulders.

The machine guns (photoetched Part) are glued as well as the two large protuberances on each side. They have been heavily modified and the plates that must be glued to the fuselage refined.

They are difficult to hold between the fingers. Their shapes make them fly away as soon as you hold them in your big fingers. I spent hours (really) looking for them in my office. They are difficult to position on the fuselage. When they are very close to the machine guns, as they should, they do not apply well to the fuselage wall. If you glue them well to the fuselage they will move away from the weapons ... So I chose to stick them cleanly to the fuselage

Two small rolled aluminum cylinders which are placed in the two holes under the protuberances of the arms (if anyone knows what these holes were used for ???).

Then the details are added: The covers that supply the machine guns with ammunition. The gutters under the gun barrels (food aluminum).

The two caps (Eduard board from HD1). A little oil paint to make it all dirty.

Regards.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2021, 10:40:26 PM »
Making really nice progress Louis  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline huberlu

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2021, 10:08:32 PM »
Thank you!

I glued the wings and the masts.

The mats are the right size and do not pose any particular concerns.

Once glued, viewed from above, the lower and upper wing are no longer aligned.
So I placed the plane on its support, put a drop of extra fluid glue at the base of each mast to soften the bindings and put a piece of tape (photo) to pull the upper wing. left back.
After a night of drying under tension it holds.

Mats for floats are just big nonsense. The two Eduards pieces are identical although they are not placed at the same angle. Obviously it cannot work.
It lacks 3mm to the length to be able to fix them. As they have an M-shape seen from the front, it is impossible to shorten them without changing the spacing.

We will have to rectify the masts before.

Regards.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2021, 10:15:36 PM »
Bummer , I know you have have this fix in no time . Nice job on the rigging  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline huberlu

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »
Yes it is! ;)

The masts are elongated as best they can and glued.
Those at the rear received a metal rod (0.2mm) to keep them in place.

In profile all is well:

From the front, the floats are not "parallel" to the wings and the bar which connects the two floats makes an arc of a circle (in red).

So I started sawing the central mast foot to fix that.

.. and finally almost everything came off. I resized and adjusted the poles as well as possible (0.5mm) but there is not much room given their shape.

I also stuck the big engine (I wanted to for a long time)

He didn't let that go either.

It fits under the hood but the rocker arm heads (the part at the end of the rocker arm rod, there are 12 here!) touch the inside of the engine cowl. When you put the engine cover in place, the rocker arms twist.
I milled the inside of the hood over and over again but I'm too afraid to drill it out.
So I had to remove almost all of the rocker rods.
I'll glue them back on after shortening them a bit when I'm calmer.

With the hood just installed.

Regards.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:37:19 PM by huberlu »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2021, 12:41:08 AM »
Keep at it - you are winning even if it is only slowly. The markings and finish so far are fabulous - those struts are certainly a problem but not one which you will not eventually solve.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2021, 02:36:53 AM »
Excellent outcome with the struts Louis .  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch