Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 433429 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2250 on: September 03, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
Hello All

I'm really enjoying following this thread and the cut and thrust of discussion.

There's a part of me that agrees with Jeff. A while ago I did the Eduard 1/48 E.V. I chose it for a variety of reasons. First, after a few complicated builds I wanted something nice and straightforward. Second, I was aware of some intense debate over the wing colours and was happy to experiment. Finally I had seen some fascinating material on modern reconstructions of the Razor. My decision had nothing to do with any belief in its Great War significance.

In terms of what I would like to see from WNW, I guess I come at things from a different angle to some. My goal is a truly representative range of aircraft from across the Great War. Clearly, and for reasons I totally understand, this appears not to be the key driving force for many builders and manufacturers. But I have no great interest in hordes of Albatrosses or Fokker D.VIIs.

Were historical  signficance to be an important criterion then we would see such important types as the Maurice Farman Longhorn/Shorthorn and the BE 2, amongst others, and a much greater national diversity. That there is just one French type, for example, in the current WNW range is very disappointing.

Best wishes
Nigel

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:29:18 AM by Nigel Jackson »

Offline Russell

« Reply #2251 on: September 04, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
i'm a bit... no a LOT... baffled as to why so many are so enamored with the Razor that you all want another kit of it, in spite of one being on the market already.

why a Razor, when there are so many aircraft that were more important that have never been kitted at all in 1/32? to my eye it's a clumsy looking kite that couldn't keep its wing on and barely saw service. if there was any pilot who preferred it to the D.VII, i've not read about him.

so Razor fans... what is it about this kite that makes you want another kit?

Whether a particular design of aircraft was successful, liked by pilots, made in any numbers or is particularly sleek looking often has little bearing on my desire to see it available in kit form. I build what I find 'interesting' & sometimes a clumsy looking aircraft which had little influence on the air-war is just that (to me at least).

Regards
Russell

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2252 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:42 AM »
Quote from Jeff C      .......     so Razor fans... what is it about this kite that makes you want another kit?

Jeff,
    Along with Rick I'm the one who referenced the opinion that Wingnut Wings will probably release a D.VIII/E.V Kit in the near future. It's not that I "want" another Razor Kit, rather that reading the signs (a UR.2 choice on their LeRhone Sprue, less likelihood of a DR.1 release due to Roden's very reasonable version being on the market, and the fact that TVAL has two replicas of the D.VIII flying) I forecast such a release.
    In this column years back I whined and wished for "a Snipe, a Tripe, and a Camel" and the Gods of the world of WWI Aircraft Modelling have been very good to me! Were I "king for a day" I'd be ecstatic with a Wingnuts One and a half Strutter, a Dolphin, and some French/KUK/Italian subjects over the next several years.
    ............... and yes, after a monumental struggle with the Mikr Mir D.VIII that is still underway I would snatch up a Wingnut's version were it to become available. An icon it was not however it represents innovation and the remarkable pace of development of the Fighter Aircraft in four short years of aviation history; if nothing else I'd get to use one of the other schemes in my Pheon Set of decals!
Cheers, :)
Lance

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2253 on: September 04, 2017, 03:35:06 AM »
WOW Lance that was an interesting perspective. an E.V/D.VIII would be pretty easy; even with all new sprues they've got a lot of the parts 3d modelled already.

that said, keep whining about the lack of a 1 1/2 Strutter and Dolphin please.  If you can find it in your heart to moan about the need for a new SPAD XIII, (i'm sure a XII is too much to ask)... i'd be eternally grateful because clearly you've got some pull. that Sopwith hat trick is quite a thing

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2254 on: September 04, 2017, 03:55:52 AM »
Jeff,
    Yes, I certainly got lucky with my wish list; to be truthful a Tripe and a Camel were, IMHO, inevitable but the Snipe was a pleasant surprise! Although I have the Roden Spad VII and the Hobbycraft Spad XIII stashed away I believe a Wingnut Wings Spad of either type would be a real crowd pleaser. I'm in complete agreement with those here who believe some aircraft other then the classic British and German designs should be added to the inventory at Wingnut Wings.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2255 on: September 04, 2017, 05:32:37 AM »
Hello All

I'm really enjoying following this thread and the cut and thrust of discussion.

There's a part of me that agrees with Jeff. A while ago I did the Eduard 1/48 E.V. I chose it for a variety of reasons. First, after a few complicated builds I wanted something nice and straightforward. Second, I was aware of some intense debate over the wing colours and was happy to experiment. Finally I had seen some fascinating material on modern reconstructions of the Razor. My decision had nothing to do with any belief in its Great War significance.

In terms of what I would like to see from WNW, I guess I come at things from a different angle to some. My goal is a truly representative range of aircraft from across the Great War. Clearly, and for reasons I totally understand, this appears not to be the key driving force for many builders and manufacturers. But I have no great interest in hordes of Albatrosses or Fokker D.VIIs.

Were historical  signficance to be an important criterion then we would see such important types as the Maurice Farman Longhorn/Shorthorn and the BE 2, amongst others, and a much greater national diversity. That there is just one French type, for example, in the current WNW range is very disappointing.

Best wishes
Nigel

Although I also see the WNW Oberursel indicating a Fokker E V or Dr I, I would like to support Nigel's point: yes, scouts may attract more potential buyers than two-seater, colorful planes more than plain CDL colored ones and planes of aces more than those of unknown aircrews. Anyway I totally agree, I don't need tons of Albatros D V and Fokker D VII but would love to see other very important planes like the Be2c/e, Farmans , Voisins and Caudrons that are representative for Great War planes (There's a wonderfully restored Voisin VIII in Washington! More French planes would be great!) i am very gratefull to WNW for releasing a Fe2b or a DFW C V.  But I'd also love to see more early war Germans like a LVG CII, an Aviatik C I or an Albatros C. I. too.

Borsos

... and not to forget the Halberstadt D and Cl family :)
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2256 on: September 04, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »

Although I also see the WNW Oberursel indicating a Fokker E V or Dr I, I would like to support Nigel's point: yes, scouts may attract more potential buyers than two-seater, colorful planes more than plain CDL colored ones and planes of aces more than those of unknown aircrews. Anyway I totally agree, I don't need tons of Albatros D V and Fokker D VII but would love to see other very important planes like the Be2c/e, Farmans , Voisins and Caudrons that are representative for Great War planes (There's a wonderfully restored Voisin VIII in Washington! More French planes would be great!) i am very gratefull to WNW for releasing a Fe2b or a DFW C V.  But I'd also love to see more early war Germans like a LVG CII, an Aviatik C I or an Albatros C. I. too.

Borsos

... and not to forget the Halberstadt D and Cl family :)

Hey, you can keep WNW away from early WW1 'planes. There are rich pickings for scratchbuilders here without having to keep answering 'Is that the WNW kit?'

;D

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2257 on: September 04, 2017, 06:25:09 AM »
 ;D I thought this was a WNW speculation here...
Even I get into scratch building from time to time. It's hard but it's big fun. I will restore these posts as soon as I can manage it. But having only limited time for modelling it takes me years to finish a scratch build project. Kits are so much faster. I don't need a WNW kit, a Special Hobby or Roden is just fine. But WNW - having a look at their Fe2b, their Taube, their Junkers J I and other more exotic planes - are the only company where I think everything is possible. ..
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #2258 on: September 04, 2017, 06:41:13 AM »
i'm a bit... no a LOT... baffled as to why so many are so enamored with the Razor that you all want another kit of it, in spite of one being on the market already.

why a Razor, when there are so many aircraft that were more important that have never been kitted at all in 1/32? to my eye it's a clumsy looking kite that couldn't keep its wing on and barely saw service. if there was any pilot who preferred it to the D.VII, i've not read about him.

so Razor fans... what is it about this kite that makes you want another kit?
To partially echo Lance's excellent response, my guess is it's because it's regarded by many as the pinnacle of German fighter development during that time even though, like the TA-152, Tempest II and Bearcat of WW2, it saw little action. Such aircraft typically attract modellers. It also has some aesthetically pleasing colour schemes.

The Dr.I could even be seen as one of those aircraft whose legend seems to outweigh its contribution but, despite the low numbers built and short service life, is a magnet to model builders.

Each time I see one of the TVAL Razors fly I grow to love it even more.
70AA08EE-C31A-4832-8DA9-3B398499E10B_zpsjakkzosh by Zac Yates, on Flickr
https://youtu.be/x9zsobEfx34

With that said...I'd be quite keen on a 1 1/2 Strutter!  ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2259 on: September 06, 2017, 04:56:49 AM »
regarding the E.V / D.VIII, i'll probably build one. Sachsenberg's. I can play checkers on it. i'm just curious as to why so many want/expect one that's why i asked.

as for the 1 1/2 Strutter i think that would be a surprise crowd pleaser for them. i think a lot of people who don't put it on their wish list would buy one. especially if they have interesting markings choices, like Collishaw's kite. PC10 or CDL gets a hell of a lot more compelling when there's a story comes with it.

i'm a bit of an outlier, i want one of everything... and i have 18 Albatros V/Va on my spreadsheet, and nearly as many D.VIIs.. i pick mostly by aces/stories but i'm not immune to engineering marvels and even oddball stuff (wouldnt' mind building a FLoh one day) .

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2260 on: September 14, 2017, 10:00:54 PM »
A question to Wingnuts and their answer.

Will you re-issue sold out models like 32002 LVG C.VI, 32005 Gotha G.IV, 32008 Sopwith Triplane, 32009 Albatros D.V or 32011 Fokker D.VII (Fok) etc?

No. Currently we do not have plans to simply re-issue sold out models such as 32002 LVG C.VI, 32005 Gotha G.IV, 32008 Sopwith Triplane, 32009 Albatros D.V or 32011 Fokker D.VII (Fok) etc. But at some time in the future we will release Special Edition versions of them. The Special Editions will include additional decal schemes, resin figures and 100s of photo-etch detail parts. We do not have a release schedule set for the Special Editions at this time. Additionally 32067 Fokker D.VII (Fok) "Early" is released in May 2017 which is essentially 32011 Fokker D.VII (Fok) from 2012 with new box art, decals and instructions. We do not rule out the possibility of some other sold out models making a similar reappearance in the future. Note: Some sold out models remain available at distributors and retailers long after we have sold out.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline mgunns

« Reply #2261 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »
Looks like Richard is sticking to the old "party line" of yesteryear.  One thing he did give a nod to is the possibility, like the Fokker DVII, of a similar re-issue of some other kit.   :o My buddy, a retired Marine, visited WNW a few years back while on vacation in NZ and commented that their security was tighter than that of the Pentagon.  I believe it and it has served WNW well all these years.  Hopefully we will see the "Special Editions" with the heretofore mentioned resin figures and PE.  I am optimistic.

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #2262 on: September 15, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
My Wish List:
  British:  BE2c and e, DH4 (got most of it mastered already and TVAL has a repo), Sopwith Strutter;

German:  Halberstadts DII/III, Cl. II, Albatros C.VII, CIII.  LVG C.II, Aviatik C.II, Rumpler C.II

French:  Voisin L.III, Caudron G.IV, G.VI, Breguet 14B, 14A,

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2263 on: September 15, 2017, 04:13:54 PM »
Captain, at your command!
But, might I additionally suggest a Caproni Ca.3? (As well as a few Austro-Hungarian planes and...)

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2264 on: September 16, 2017, 04:02:47 AM »
Sure would like to see at the top of a Special Edition list an RE8...seems like it would sit nicely as number one to reappear anyway....wasn't it one of the first to sell out? (As well as one of the most highly scalped WnW kits on Ebay .) Or better yet a Duellists release with an RE and a DV, how about?
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde