Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 430361 times)

Offline James

Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2235 on: September 02, 2017, 04:40:18 AM »

Geez, I think that perhaps you not too fond of Roden kits but then, what if WNW did not exist...  OOPS this thread is about WNW speculation, so back to the matter in hand--

still waiting for a 1/32 Dolphin !!!  .

Ed

Still waiting for a Friedrichshafen G.III myself.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Online RAGIII

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2236 on: September 02, 2017, 07:07:15 AM »

Geez, I think that perhaps you not too fond of Roden kits but then, what if WNW did not exist...  OOPS this thread is about WNW speculation, so back to the matter in hand--

Ed

Still waiting for a Friedrichshafen G.III myself.

I am with Ed on this one. It is certainly Logical that WNW will finish off the Sopwith Family with a 1 1/2 strutter and Dolphin!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:46:50 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2237 on: September 02, 2017, 07:18:38 AM »
Geez, I think that perhaps you not too fond of Roden kits

Funny, I got that impression too.

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2238 on: September 02, 2017, 09:34:36 AM »
    Well, I don't disagree on the fact that Roden`s Kits do not match the standard maintained by Wingnut Wings, however ..........................!

I actually enjoy the change and build a Roden, or occasionally other label Kit to change perspective regularly. As I look at my display shelves it`s about a 1 in every four ratio and several are amongst my favorites, the Roden Siemens Schuckert D.III builds into a beautiful model if you put extra effort into it, and I enjoy a challenge. I hope Roden release a few more as I`m running out of motivators...... I like them!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2239 on: September 02, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
I have built all of Roden's 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft kits and to be honest I enjoyed every build, they can be a challenge but I class it as "real" modeling and not just a "shake and bake" kit. As Lance has already mentioned, their Siemens Schuckert is a good kit and makes up to be a really nice looking model as does the DH.2, Pfalz D.III, Spad VII and Fokker Dr.1, all very nice models. A lot has been said about the decals with Roden kits but with all the kits I have made I used all the kit supplied decals without any issue.

Getting back on track with the Wingnuts speculation I'm still waiting for the BE.2 or the Avro 504, two aeroplanes very worthy of being kitted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2240 on: September 02, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
    Following Des lead back to the theme here I have a very strong feeling we`ll soon see a Fokker D.VIII - E.V from Wingnut Wings, and a Be.2 is a sure thing!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2241 on: September 02, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »
Why forget about early albatros just because wnw haven't kitted them. The roden kits are very buildable and turn out nicely. I have built one and will build more whether wnw does one or not. With so many fighters never ever kitted I will keep hoping for something else something cool something different. I will never understand why some guys will only build a biplane if its wnw. Maybe they are wnw fans not necessarily ww1 aircraft fans? Idk?

For me personally it's about quality not quantity.  I am a fan of WWI and a bigger fan of WNW.  I just don't like building crummy kits....Honestly the Roden kits are amongst the lousiest kits out there.  If I was rating kit makers I can't think of many that are worse than roden.  Off the top of my head Tamiya, Meng, Dragon, Revell of Germany, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Aoshima, Miniart, Takom, Trumpeter, Amusing hobby, Panda Hobby, Rye field Model, Fine molds, and WNW are all far superior to Roden.   For me I just hate spending my hard earned money or something that is sub par.  Go compare the WNW top wing from their Albatros DV kit to the Roden top wing of their Albatros  D III.  It's no  comparison, the detail on Roden is trash.  Why would I continue building trash?....it's not about liking or disliking WWI subjects I just don't want to spend my valuable time on lousy models....but that's just how I roll....

Oddly enough I'm about 180 degrees opposite. For me it's all about the subject. A fantastic kit of the kind WNW puts out brings great joy, because I'm lazy. But I think most of the Roden kits are OK and would rather have something new from WNW. I don't mind building  "trash" if they get the shape right. If no aftermarket detail sets are available I'll do some actual work. Yeah I'd prefer WNW where I just shake the box and it comes out just right, but I can live with less than perfect.

That said I most definitely do not feel the same joy opening a Roden box as WNW. WNW kits are special. I'd be a huge fan even if I weren't as obsessed with the subject matter.

For all those hoping for a DR.1, WNW have said many times they will avoid subjects another manufacturer is doing but there appears to be a grey area. The Academy camel is still available, at least through the Italeri boxing. The Hobbycraft SPAD XIII appears to be OOP. It's scarce even on eBay. I have a lot of SPADs in my future so I'm hoping WNW will drop a SPAD XIII.

They do seem to be more keen on popular aircraft now that they've opted for wider distribution, but I'm glad they still do esoteric stuff like the Taube.

My speculation / wish list, in order:
SPAD XIII (a XII would be too much to wish for)
DH.4
Hanriot HD.1
Dolphin
1 1/2 Strutter
Ilya Mouromets (surely DeAgostini's extortion plan doesn't count)
Caproni CA.3
Gotha G.V
Bristol Scout
Star Strutter
BE2
Roland D.II
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI
DH.5
Martinsyde G100
Martinsyde S.1
Maurice Farman

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2242 on: September 02, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
A nice list, Jeff...I'd happily place a +1 alongside a DH4, an HD1, a Strutter, a Bristol Scout, of course a BE, a nice loud hear, hear for a DH5, a G100...and add to it a Phonix D1.
(So much fun to do this every few months, ain't it)
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2243 on: September 03, 2017, 12:02:52 AM »
A nice list, Jeff...I'd happily place a +1 alongside a DH4, an HD1, a Strutter, a Bristol Scout, of course a BE, a nice loud hear, hear for a DH5, a G100...and add to it a Phonix D1.
(So much fun to do this every few months, ain't it)

Phonix. Ooh. Can't believe I forgot that. Good call. No no. GREAT call. Wants.

Offline jagdbaron

« Reply #2244 on: September 03, 2017, 03:28:48 AM »
It’s taken nearly four years to reach page 150 and I’ve read every one of them. So, I think that a contribution from me is overdue.

If you take all the 1/32 WW1 kits from all the manufacturers –Academy, Amodel, Aviattic, Hobbycraft, Roden, Special Hobby, Wingnut Wings and the rest, there is one area which has not been covered. It’s not SPADs, Sopwiths, Nieuports – it is all the aircraft from one of the major powers in WW1. I mean, of course, the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Italy is covered (SPAD, Ansaldo etc) as is Russia (Nieuport) but absolutely nothing from the KuK – no Phonix, Oeffag DIII, Hansa-Brandenburg. Copper State is producing a standing figure of what looks like Brumowski. Does that mean that they are contemplating a 1/32 KuK?

Whatever, let’s put aside the desire for more SPADs, Fokker Dr1’s and others and send a loud message to those who make the decisions that it is about time that the KuK is represented – even if it is only a conversion kit for the Roden DIII – Please!
Les

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2245 on: September 03, 2017, 03:43:22 AM »
Funny how the annual speculation has gone on for nearly four years.....still no Tripes or Razors.....

Steve

And as is usual in this circular discussion... No Tripes or Razors because other folk already make them

Richard

Agree to an extent but... I do not believe that WNW included an Obereusel UII just because they are nice guys and it kind of worked into their Lerhone  ::) So, What was powered by the URII? Tripes, and Razors come to mind....
RAGIII

Offline jagdbaron

« Reply #2246 on: September 03, 2017, 04:18:52 AM »
I hasten to add a note following my previous post - before anyone else does. I am referring to 'plastic'kits rather than any other. I know that HPH have produced a resin kit of the Berg DI and that Des has turned this into a superb model but I would sorely love to have the same or similar in the familiar plastic format as resin is quite pricey. Also, I'm not sure that I'm up to the required standard to work with resin.

Les
Les

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2247 on: September 03, 2017, 04:23:03 AM »
jagdbaron, i agree with your point in principle... but i think resin kits should count. especially considering WNW ain't that much cheaper. therefore, Star Strutter, Phonix, etc... but we have a Berg. for now.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2248 on: September 03, 2017, 06:30:16 AM »
Why forget about early albatros just because wnw haven't kitted them. The roden kits are very buildable and turn out nicely. I have built one and will build more whether wnw does one or not. With so many fighters never ever kitted I will keep hoping for something else something cool something different. I will never understand why some guys will only build a biplane if its wnw. Maybe they are wnw fans not necessarily ww1 aircraft fans? Idk?

For me personally it's about quality not quantity.  I am a fan of WWI and a bigger fan of WNW.  I just don't like building crummy kits....Honestly the Roden kits are amongst the lousiest kits out there.  If I was rating kit makers I can't think of many that are worse than roden.  Off the top of my head Tamiya, Meng, Dragon, Revell of Germany, Hasegawa, Fujimi, Aoshima, Miniart, Takom, Trumpeter, Amusing hobby, Panda Hobby, Rye field Model, Fine molds, and WNW are all far superior to Roden.   For me I just hate spending my hard earned money or something that is sub par.  Go compare the WNW top wing from their Albatros DV kit to the Roden top wing of their Albatros  D III.  It's no  comparison, the detail on Roden is trash.  Why would I continue building trash?....it's not about liking or disliking WWI subjects I just don't want to spend my valuable time on lousy models....but that's just how I roll....

Ed

Well said Amigo. Until WNW brings out a Razor and Albatros DIII OAW I will keep building "Trash"

RAGIII

PS: I still SPECULATE a RAZOR!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2249 on: September 03, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »
i'm a bit... no a LOT... baffled as to why so many are so enamored with the Razor that you all want another kit of it, in spite of one being on the market already.

why a Razor, when there are so many aircraft that were more important that have never been kitted at all in 1/32? to my eye it's a clumsy looking kite that couldn't keep its wing on and barely saw service. if there was any pilot who preferred it to the D.VII, i've not read about him.

so Razor fans... what is it about this kite that makes you want another kit?