Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6  (Read 60159 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
Looking very sharp Rick, and the colours are perfect. Appears to be a bad weekend for minor accidents; in a perverse way I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to do some "Battle Damage Repair" in the last few days...........misery likes company as they say! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2014, 12:33:11 AM »
Hi Rick:

Looking good so far.  I am a bit behind on this one.  No work this past weekend.  I like your PC12 and the back dating to wartime service.  It is looking good, accidents notwithstanidng.   Looking forward to your next update. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2014, 03:33:26 AM »
Hello Rick,

The decals look teriffic on this beautiful bird. This is really a perfect build. Great work my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Thanks for your continued support Patrick, it is appreciated!
RAGIII

Sorry for your mistake Rick.
You have made a great work  until now.
Martin

Thanks Martin. I appreciate your comment!
RAGIII

Looking very sharp Rick, and the colours are perfect. Appears to be a bad weekend for minor accidents; in a perverse way I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to do some "Battle Damage Repair" in the last few days...........misery likes company as they say! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks Lance, and yes a weekend of Minor annoyances. The plus is we both overcame the self created obstacles  :o
RAGIII

Hi Rick:

Looking good so far.  I am a bit behind on this one.  No work this past weekend.  I like your PC12 and the back dating to wartime service.  It is looking good, accidents notwithstanidng.   Looking forward to your next update. 

Best

Mark

Thanks Mark, I have as stated, used photos of other 43 sq. birds taken during the war to base my "Assumptions" on. One other option is a tiny serial # on the fin....
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #168 on: May 06, 2014, 05:28:59 AM »
Snipe's coming along nicely, Rick -

The trials and tribulations of model making - don't we all just love 'em.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
Snipe's coming along nicely, Rick -

The trials and tribulations of model making - don't we all just love 'em.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the comments as always.
As for those tribulations, nothing major but I created them myself.
RAGIII

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
Just catching up on your work, Rick.  The snipe is really looking the business.
You really are doing a superb job on her.  The decal work looks amazing.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »
Nice work on the paint and decals. I wasn't a fan of the Snipe, but after seeing your build I ordered the CS kit, BTW, maybe it's time to invest in an airbrush holder or a service dog that will hold the airbrush in his/her mouth :)

Offline vincentm

« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Thanks for the explanations on rib shading, RAGIII. I had never heard about making that with oils but I like the idea because I'm used to shading with oils, and I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of using masking tape on lozenge decals (or any kind of decals)! I already had a bad experience with that on a biplane of the 30s; the tape ripped the underlying decals off when I removed it...

Online RAGIII

« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2014, 11:52:43 AM »
Just catching up on your work, Rick.  The snipe is really looking the business.
You really are doing a superb job on her.  The decal work looks amazing.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Thanks Ernie. I greatly appreciate your looking in and your comments!
RAGIII

Nice work on the paint and decals. I wasn't a fan of the Snipe, but after seeing your build I ordered the CS kit, BTW, maybe it's time to invest in an airbrush holder or a service dog that will hold the airbrush in his/her mouth :)

Rob,
I am still Laughing! Actually I had a screw that is attached to my paint booth just inches away and Still I tried the Mouth Method  :-[ But that Service animal would be cool  ;D The more important thing is that if my build in any way inspires a Modeler of your caliber, or any modeler to get a kit and build, then my purpose for posting is accomplished. Thanks for the great compliment!
RAGIII

Thanks for the explanations on rib shading, RAGIII. I had never heard about making that with oils but I like the idea because I'm used to shading with oils, and I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of using masking tape on lozenge decals (or any kind of decals)! I already had a bad experience with that on a biplane of the 30s; the tape ripped the underlying decals off when I removed it...

No problem, I am glad the explanation helped! You can also Post shade with oils but care is needed to make sure you don't get too heavy handed.
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2014, 11:27:19 PM »
Further progress on the Snipe: The upper wing is now attached. WNW REALLY makes this an easy process with the struts having very positive locating holes with specific shapes for upper and lower wing attachments. The Positive alignment of the cabanes is the key here. They are pretty much FOOL PROOF! I did complicate matters a little  ::) I felt I would have difficulty aligning ALL of those struts if I glued them on the lower wing then attached the upper. So I secured the upper wing to the cabanes, let them dry and then attached the outer struts. After they were dry I moved on to the inner struts. This was a relatively simple process with the exception of the very last strut. With very little give in the wing the last one took a little effort to snap into place. I should have started with the inner struts as there would be more flex at the tips. Later today I plan on painting the rudder stripes and attaching then I will be ready to rig. I will hold off on that process in order to catch up on the Albatros.....

RAGIII

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:34:43 PM by RAGIII »

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2014, 12:53:53 AM »
Looking very nice.

I agree about the cabane struts, for mine I had thought of making a jig but on dry fitting the cabanes and top wing everything lined up perfectly. It really is fool proof. I put mine together the same way, although I did the inner struts before the outer ones, next time I would probably just glue them all into the lower wing first.
Incidentally, before I fitted my top wing, I noticed a hairline crack right in the centre section where the bracket for the aldis sight goes. The plastic is really thin here. I had removed it from the sprue and painted it quite early on, next time I'll keep it on the sprue for longer.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished, and some more of the Albatros too.

Tom

Offline radio

« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2014, 01:44:55 AM »
Rick your Snipe looks very great.
Martin

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2014, 03:58:59 AM »
Hello Rick,

Very well done my friend, and thank you for the tutorial to fix multi strut wings. Your Snipe is looking awesome! You are near the finish and I will be waiting there to applause you.

Kind regards
Patrick

Online RAGIII

« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
Looking very nice.

I agree about the cabane struts, for mine I had thought of making a jig but on dry fitting the cabanes and top wing everything lined up perfectly. It really is fool proof. I put mine together the same way, although I did the inner struts before the outer ones, next time I would probably just glue them all into the lower wing first.
Incidentally, before I fitted my top wing, I noticed a hairline crack right in the centre section where the bracket for the aldis sight goes. The plastic is really thin here. I had removed it from the sprue and painted it quite early on, next time I'll keep it on the sprue for longer.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished, and some more of the Albatros too.

Tom

Thanks Tom! I appreciate the comments and confirmation on the excellence of the Engineering of the kit struts/attachment. As for that Aldis sight I was warned that it is a difficult item in the construction. Sooooo... I forgot all about it! I now have to post install the windscreen and sight. Looking at the current state of construction I think I can add all of the parts through the upper wing opening and the gap between the wings  :-[
RAGIII

Rick your Snipe looks very great.
Martin

Thanks Martin, I appreciate your continued following of my build!
RAGIII

Hello Rick,

Very well done my friend, and thank you for the tutorial to fix multi strut wings. Your Snipe is looking awesome! You are near the finish and I will be waiting there to applause you.

Kind regards
Patrick

Thank you for your compliment Patrick! As for the tutorial I don't know if this would work for ALL Multi Strut aircraft but with this kit and it's engineering there is really no way to Screw it up  :o
RAGIII

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »
Stunning work, as usual, Amigo!  Almost done!
Cheers.
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence