Author Topic: Roden SPAD VII 19 Sq. RFC 1/32nd scale:SPAD VII Lafayette:Nieuport 28 94th Aero  (Read 46654 times)

Online RAGIII

So now to explain the OOPS comment. I had plenty of CDL left over from the SPAD soooo I just added a bit of white, IJN grey, and then some more Desert yellow to the mix. I promise to do better on the 5 color uppers.  I have sprayed the undersides with the mix then applied some of Bobs strippers to the ribs and did a Tamiya smoke spray on the edges. After that was done I have applied some Windsor Newton Acryl Oils along the spars near the fuselage. Later today I will go back over all of this with a light thinned coat of the original color. That should tone it all down and help blend it all...at least I hope!
RAGIII

PS: Frank if you don't mind working with Vallejo Game Color Bone white is a pretty close match  8)

and after the filter of Ecru was applied

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:33:21 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Paid off very well Rick ! 8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online lone modeller

Got to agree with Alexis Rick - it looks the part underneath.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

Paid off very well Rick ! 8)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. I always appreciate your comments!
RAGIII

Got to agree with Alexis Rick - it looks the part underneath.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. It will get a bit more later after the roundels are applied. Oils will be used to further blend it all together.
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

I had a productive day yesterday... until My Compressor threw a bearing , blew it's gasket, or whatever happened.  >:(  I did manage to apply 4 out of the 5 colors to the upper surfaces before that happened. Other than some touch up and tweaking, and of course the black, I am satisfied with the results. ( The most obvious touch up needed is on the horizontal tail) I have also "Tried" to keep better track of My Mixes, with mixed results  :o
RAGIII

Now for the mix info:

The beige Mix: It started at about 3 to 1 of the Desert Tan and Bone white. From there I might have changed it a bit but should be in the ballpark.

Next the Light Green: Again the starting point was about 3 to 1 of The Pale Green to the Green Grey. I think I added a drop or two of white.

Next up was the Dark Green: About 2 to 1 US Dark Green to Russian Green. A few drops of white.

Finally the Chestnut Brown: I started with about a 3 to one ratio of brown to red. It wasn't enough red so I kind of lost track but think I ended up with more red than brown. I also think I added a couple of drops of white  ::)

What I learned is that I really can't keep very good track of MY Mixtures. I start with good intentions but then I keep adding stuff untill I like it. So if nothing else one can see the colors I started with and go from there on your own  8)

PS: I forgot to mention that for the fabric areas I added a squirt of Metal Medium  ::)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:18:52 AM by RAGIII »

Online lone modeller

I do like your theory of mixes Rick - just like mine: make it up as you go along and hope for the best.....

In any event the camouflage looks good from here.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

I do like your theory of mixes Rick - just like mine: make it up as you go along and hope for the best.....

In any event the camouflage looks good from here.

Stephen.

Thanks for the comment Stephen. I just ordered a New Compressor. It should be here by Tuesday. In the meantime I will work on things that don't need airbrushing like Vickers and struts  8)
RAGIII

Offline gedmundson

Great progress Rick! What did you order for a new compressor??
Cheers,
Gary

Online RAGIII

Great progress Rick! What did you order for a new compressor??
Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gary! This is the one I ordered. $96.00 ( US) including tax, free shipping:

Offline hrcoleman66

I just purchased one of them...  My old one is still going fine though, so haven't had a chance to fire it up yet.

Cheers.

Hugh

Online RAGIII

I just purchased one of them...  My old one is still going fine though, so haven't had a chance to fire it up yet.

Cheers.

Hugh

I hope to be able to give you a report Tuesday night or Wednesday Morning  ;D
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
That's not a bad price for the compressor Rick , how many pounds is the tank ? Mixing paint is pretty much the same for me . I really don't keep track and just go with what pleases me the most . I  see that you mix Model Air with the model colour ...I haven't tried that yet , how much thinning does that need and do you use a flow improver ? I'm sure I will have more questions in the future but for now ...

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

That's not a bad price for the compressor Rick , how many pounds is the tank ? Mixing paint is pretty much the same for me . I really don't keep track and just go with what pleases me the most . I  see that you mix Model Air with the model colour ...I haven't tried that yet , how much thinning does that need and do you use a flow improver ? I'm sure I will have more questions in the future but for now ...

Alexis

Alexis, The tank is 3 L which is 3L more than what I was using  ;D As for mixing and thinning I just go with the "Old" theory of the consistency of Milk. I use Vallejo Airbrush thinner and a drop of retarder most of the time.

RAGIII

Offline Gisbod

Sorry about the compressor Rick.

But at least you’ll get a lot of use out of the new one!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Nice progress on the Nieuport, Rick.  I like where its going.
Looks like a compact compressor.  Mine is a big monster - used for many other things besides painting.