Author Topic: Roden SPAD VII 19 Sq. RFC 1/32nd scale:SPAD VII Lafayette:Nieuport 28 94th Aero  (Read 45845 times)

Offline Monty

Lovely work on the French Spad 7 and really sorry about the British one. You are not the only modeller to do that! The 28 from left field is your signature move... lovely to see that start up! Regards, Marc.

Offline lone modeller

The Spad is very fine indeed Rick. I am pleased that you are going to pick up the RFC model later as that has the potential to also be a stunner when finished. A Nieu 28 is different and sounds as though that is going to be very colourful too.

Stephen.

Bughunter

Oh, now this build thread get's confusing, with also a Nieuport added  ???
The SPAD looks nice so far, I like red noses ;)

Roden was so kind to model this Nieuport also in 1/48. I have it in my stash, but the Gnome N rotary is not (I hope: yet) available from Small Stuff, so I wait for it and build other types (have enough in my stash) in meantime.
Does your edition include the beautiful posters for the wings?

Good luck!
Frank

Offline RAGIII

Lovely work on the French Spad 7 and really sorry about the British one. You are not the only modeller to do that! The 28 from left field is your signature move... lovely to see that start up! Regards, Marc.

Thanks Marc! I seem to be using that "Signature Move" Too often lately  :(
RAGIII

The Spad is very fine indeed Rick. I am pleased that you are going to pick up the RFC model later as that has the potential to also be a stunner when finished. A Nieu 28 is different and sounds as though that is going to be very colourful too.

Stephen.

As always thanks Stephen! I do want to get back to the RFC bird ASAP. It was actually why I took out the SPAD kits!

RAGIII

Oh, now this build thread get's confusing, with also a Nieuport added  ???
The SPAD looks nice so far, I like red noses ;)

Roden was so kind to model this Nieuport also in 1/48. I have it in my stash, but the Gnome N rotary is not (I hope: yet) available from Small Stuff, so I wait for it and build other types (have enough in my stash) in meantime.
Does your edition include the beautiful posters for the wings?

Good luck!
Frank

Thanks Frank. No posters on this one and I didn't really want to do another Rickenbacker bird. (I know there were a couple of others with the poster). This is the scheme I will be doing, supplied in the kit decals.

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Lovely choice for the scheme Rick !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

Lovely choice for the scheme Rick !

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. The profile makes the scheme look a bit dark on all of the colors. The actual colors will brighten it up a bit I think!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

I spent today working on the Nieuport. It doesn't look like much was done but I drilled @ 29 holes in the wings and fuselage. I also added a few PE parts, a piece of sprue on the upper fuselage, and sanded. The lower wing is now attached.
RAGIII

OOPS: Forgot the photos  ;D

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:02:19 AM by RAGIII »

Offline hrcoleman66

@ 32 holes...

for rigging and control lines?

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline RAGIII

@ 32 holes...

for rigging and control lines?

Cheers,

Hugh

I re counted and edited My original post...twice....  8) 29 is the actual count That being said I still have about 4 more to go on the gear and two on the fuselage  ;D
RAGIII

Offline kkarlsen

• 'Old modeller' - Trying to catch up!
Ooopphh - Rigging...

Kent

Offline RAGIII

Ooopphh - Rigging...

Kent

For a change I actually found it to be fun drilling these holes. It means I will be able to use more conventional rigging methods on this one.... A real pleasure after so many SPADs  :o
RAGIII

PS: All holes drilled without breaking a bit  ;D

Offline RAGIII

Here is a question for Mike Norris, or anyone else. Looking forward in the build I see that two methods were used by Mike for the filled rigging lines. On the Nieuport 28 build Mike used thin styrene superglued in place. On the Ansaldo He used Baking Parchment Paper. would both methods work on the 28? which would be easier for someone not quite as talented? TIA,
RAGIII
PS: I do Not use Turnbuckles and tubing so the filler will be applied After the Mono Lines are tightened!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Well, here's a crazy idea.  First off, I must say I haven't even attempted it (yet), but if the two lines are close together, could you span the gap between them with Microscale Micro Krystal Klear?  It must be applied after the lines are run and could be painted after drying.  This would warrant a test before attempting on a model.

Just an idea.

Offline RAGIII

Well, here's a crazy idea.  First off, I must say I haven't even attempted it (yet), but if the two lines are close together, could you span the gap between them with Microscale Micro Krystal Klear?  It must be applied after the lines are run and could be painted after drying.  This would warrant a test before attempting on a model.

Just an idea.

Not all that "Crazy" Ken. I have heard of Modelers doing this successfully in 1/48th scale. Not sure if it would transfer to 1/32nd but I will add it to My List  8) I wonder if Evergreen canopy glue would work the same?
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
That just might work Rick . The spacing between the wires is relative to 48 scale . A thick base of the liquid of choice should work . Microscale crystal clear comes to mind .

Making nice progress with this one and that is a lot of holes !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .