Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6  (Read 58865 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2014, 12:55:12 AM »
Rick,
Sorry to hear the wee buckles keep popping out of their fixing points.

This is how I do it - coming straight from the horses mouth!

Drill all pilot holes at the angle of the rigging run. Make sure you go deep enough, but not deep enough to strike oil  ;)
Buy some quality (fresh) CA glue - I use Slow ZAP for all my eyelet gluing. This glue allows you some time to work before gripping.

Trim the eyelet shank to size. Dry fit the eyelet. You want the eye of the eyelet to be just proud of the pilot hole.

Pick up the eye of the eyelet with tweezers, dip the shank in glue, but don't go crazy! Slide the eyelet in place, but remember - just proud! If you feel you don't have enough glue on the shank, quickly pull it out, add more and slide back in.

Allow plenty of time to cure.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bob

Handling eyelets

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline jknaus

« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2014, 08:03:57 AM »
Looking really good. Bummer about the eyelets. I really like the Albatross, but the one I did ended in disaster. This is making me want to try again.
James

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2014, 08:07:40 AM »
Rick,

Good work on your Albatros - superb engine especially around the intake manifold.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
Rick,
Sorry to hear the wee buckles keep popping out of their fixing points.

This is how I do it - coming straight from the horses mouth!

Drill all pilot holes at the angle of the rigging run. Make sure you go deep enough, but not deep enough to strike oil  ;)
Buy some quality (fresh) CA glue - I use Slow ZAP for all my eyelet gluing. This glue allows you some time to work before gripping.

Trim the eyelet shank to size. Dry fit the eyelet. You want the eye of the eyelet to be just proud of the pilot hole.

Pick up the eye of the eyelet with tweezers, dip the shank in glue, but don't go crazy! Slide the eyelet in place, but remember - just proud! If you feel you don't have enough glue on the shank, quickly pull it out, add more and slide back in.

Allow plenty of time to cure.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bob

Bob, I am answering your response first as I appreciate the Tutorial! Please Note that I stated " I am Sure it is my fault".  I originally planned my usual rigging method of running the lines all of the way through the wings. Afterwards I thought it might be better if I used eyelets as anchors with the lozenge covered wings. So... I think my holes were too big, the super glue old etc. I will try again in the future with a more well thought out plan!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:01:11 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »
That looks nice Rick!

Thanks Bo, I will take a that looks nice from you any day! I also think I should get extra points for daring to show an Albatros build while yours is ongoing  8)
RAGIII

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »
Rick, you are doing a super job!  I think the engine is absolutely stunning. Your
painting of the band and chevrons is first-rate.  Too bad about the troubles
with the eyelets, but with your talents, I have no doubts you will succeed beautifully.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
Hi Rick:

Don't beat yourself up too bad.  It looks spectacular from where I sit at the keyboard.  Once in the engine compartment, it really looks the business.  I understand and appreciate your frustration, I have been there, but; we persever, as you have done admirably.  Your build is looking great.  Looking forward to following  you as you continue on.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »
Beautiful-looking engine. I dare telling so, as the D-III is the only WWI engine I know in details a bit, at the moment...
I'm currently trying to inspire from your shading on the lozenges, using oils too. But it looks like my lozenges were too dark prior I started so the shading doesn't show up that much...Guess I should have applied some matt varnish or find a way to fade-out the lozenges first?

James thank you for your very nice comments! They are appreciated!
RAGIII

Fantastic work on the engine, Amigo!  Sorry about the anchors.  I always have a few pull out on each of my builds.  I just re-drill the hole, twist a new eyelet, and glue it back in.  I made up a special drill just for that purpose: a bamboo skewer with a no.80 bit glued into the end of it.  Looking forward to the next update.
Cheers,
Bud

Bud, as always I appreciate you looking in and all of your encouragement!
RAGIII

Hello Rick,

This is one of the most wonderful engines I saw to now. Great work such a nice detail and painting. This puts you on the highest step of the modeling ladder. Stunning my friend!

Kind regards
Patrick

Patrick,
As always your very kind comments are appreciated! A little bit more on my Impressionist Modeling: You will notice that the wires on the rear do not actually go into a/the tube on the engine side. This will look like it does when what can be seen with the panels on is viewed. Modelers like Bo, Duplicate the details whether they are seen or not! Thus my term that I use Smoke and Mirrors! I am far and away from the top of the heap here. I know my place and it is presenting techniques that an AVERAGE to BEGINNING Modeler can look at and say" I CAN DO THAT"!  I am QUITE comfortable in that position!!
RAGIII

Tom ,Martin, Lance, Dave, Ernie, and Mark,
I really appreciate how all of you follow my builds and offer encouragement and advice! You are shining examples of what makes this forum great!
RAGIII

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »
Rick, I dig what you are saying about your impressionistic approach. Earlier today I used that term in another thread to describe what I was after, but it was lazy, lexiconically speaking... :)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
Rick, I dig what you are saying about your impressionistic approach. Earlier today I used that term in another thread to describe what I was after, but it was lazy, lexiconically speaking... :)

;D

Yes lazy could be a good way to describe Impressionistic. I actually used tubing and ran the wires into it on my DIII and DI. Just didn't see the point on this one. Also white painted blobs of White glue look great beneath the cowl panels to represent the plugs  ::) The other factors here are what can I do within my skill level to make things look right. That is always my approach. By the way, read and responded to your comment on the other thread!
RAGIII

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »

;D

Yes lazy could be a good way to describe Impressionistic. I actually used tubing and ran the wires into it on my DIII and DI. Just didn't see the point on this one. Also white painted blobs of White glue look great beneath the cowl panels to represent the plugs  ::) The other factors here are what can I do within my skill level to make things look right. That is always my approach. By the way, read and responded to your comment on the other thread!
RAGIII

Erk! Didn't mean your "impressionistic" approach is lazy! No no nonono .... Meant my writing and the use of the word was lazy.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »

;D

RAGIII

Erk! Didn't mean your "impressionistic" approach is lazy! No no nonono .... Meant my writing and the use of the word was lazy.

Bo,
Somewhere between the first and fourth Beer last night I understood you weren't talking about the technique. That being said in my Brew induced state of mind I felt that the term actually did fit, not by your intention but my own self analysis! So.. No offense taken because I do know what you were referring to! Thanks for all you do to show us the Possibilities in Modeling! I certainly learn a lot from you even though I may not put a lot to use  8)
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »
I have built and installed the Machine guns, attached the cowl panels and upper wing. All went relatively easy with the wing. As a matter of fact,much easier than my first WNW Albatros. Next up will be the landing gear. Then rigging of both the Snipe and the Albatros will begin.....
RAGIII

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:11:01 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #223 on: May 30, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
The Alby is really looking the business now, Rick.  Super job on the lozenge.
This is shaping up to be a stunner, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2014, 02:31:52 AM »
You have so many fabulous Albatrosen in you collection, Rick, it's had to say which is your best.  However, this one looks like it's shaping up to be your best yet.  I love the chevroned fuselage band and the lozenge looks stunning.  Brilliant work, Amigo.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence