Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6  (Read 58891 times)

Offline IFF1418

Re: WNW Sopwith Snipe: Early: Albatros DVa Jasta 6
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
Hello Rick,

Although I don't know much of the original colors, I would prefer the two colors on the last photo on the right hand side. As Nigel said a question of personal taste. Anyway I'm sure you will make a beauty of it as you always do my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »
Rick, I think I would choose the one on the far right in the second picture, or possibly
a mixture of that colour and the one next to it, to give that one a bit more of a greenish tint.
It will be interesting to see what you choose.  Whichever one, will doubtlessly look to be
up to your usual high standards!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2014, 11:07:15 AM »
Hi Rick

I just love this sort of experimentation, although, of course, it all comes down to a matter of personal preference, not to say the variables of eye quality and monitor display. If I had to choose one from how I see the images posted it would be that chosen by Mark.

One of the high risk things I've tried is not mixing colours but applying Vallejos/Prince August washes over a sprayed olive drab. The washes have involved colours like  panzer browns! Even the lightest of washes can be face the dangers of pooling but I find that with care it can produce subtle variations in colour. That said, it's not for the faint-hearted.

Best wishes
Nigel

Nigel,
Thanks for your input! Yes' experimentation is interesting and FUN! Your washes sound interesting as well. I have thought about the effect of Airbrushing Tamiya Clear Yellow over the more Brown shades to see what I get. I think the idea has promise and I will pursue it after reading your response....
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:06 AM »
Hello Rick,

Although I don't know much of the original colors, I would prefer the two colors on the last photo on the right hand side. As Nigel said a question of personal taste. Anyway I'm sure you will make a beauty of it as you always do my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I appreciate all input!
RAGIII

Rick, I think I would choose the one on the far right in the second picture, or possibly
a mixture of that colour and the one next to it, to give that one a bit more of a greenish tint.
It will be interesting to see what you choose.  Whichever one, will doubtlessly look to be
up to your usual high standards!

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Thanks Ernie. I have noted that we have about a 50% mixture between those that favor the greenish mix and those that favor the brown. Ian Huntley said that in the later war period the PC 10 got Darker and More Brown. What I am after is a color that looks brown in some lighting and green in others. Or perhaps I will just go brownish ..... ::)
RAGIII

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 08:41:18 AM »
Hello, Rick -

Jumping in a bit late but both models are progressing nicely -

Good luck, mate!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your comments! By the way I have spent some time deciding to what level I was going to detail the Albatros engine. An order I placed about a Month ago has now come through and I should have some resin detail parts soon. The funny thing is I had begun to assemble an almost OOB engine but hesitated thinking of adding my own details. Had I glued on just one or two more parts it may have been too late  ::)
RAGIII

PS: I had originally covered the wings of this kit with WNW Lozenge. I also used the upper wing Iron cross decals. If anyone is out there who used the Balkan Cross options and could spare their upper wing iron crosses I would appreciate the help. I would of course, pay a reasonable cost and shipping! TIA,
RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:28:21 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Zabu

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2014, 05:23:22 AM »
Oh well, coming late again, but better late then never!

Quite a nice job that you're doing with both models, the detail and painting are awesome so far.

Cheers

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »
Oh well, coming late again, but better late then never!

Quite a nice job that you're doing with both models, the detail and painting are awesome so far.

Cheers

Thank You very much for the compliment and I am glad you are looking in!
RAGIII

Offline mgunns

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »
Hi Rick:

If you still need the Iron Cross let me know.  PM me and we can figure it out.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »
Hi Rick:

If you still need the Iron Cross let me know.  PM me and we can figure it out.

Best

Mark

Thanks Mark, PM sent.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »
Here are my latest photos of progress to date:
 The initial oils wood grain has been applied. Now I must wait a few days before doing any more work on the fuselage. The lower wings are just placed on the fuselage to facilitate handling the fuselage.

The Snipe is about ready to do some paint work. I started drilling rigging holes yesterday. I had one of those 5 bits for 10 holes days!
Again the wings are just placed in position.

RAGIII

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:57:17 PM by RAGIII »

Offline mgunns

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »
Hello Rick:

I like how the wood tone looks on the Albatros.  The Snipe is making progress as well.  Looking forward to seeing you progress through both of these. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »
Hi Rick,

Beautiful wood color as we are used from you. I wonder how you manage to combine the build of two such difficult a/c and keep all this organized. Looking forward for your next update my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2014, 12:39:39 AM »
Hello Rick:

I like how the wood tone looks on the Albatros.  The Snipe is making progress as well.  Looking forward to seeing you progress through both of these. 

Best

Mark

Thanks Mark. I still have a little work to do when things dry enough.
RAGIII

Hi Rick,

Beautiful wood color as we are used from you. I wonder how you manage to combine the build of two such difficult a/c and keep all this organized. Looking forward for your next update my friend.

Kind regards
Patrick

ORGANIZED ! I am going to show you  ;D I "should" be embarrassed but OH Well......

RAGIII

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:04 AM »
Well Rick I can clearly see two different aircrafts and a few little bottles. I meant the organization in the brains for planning the next steps. And you know every two days I have to clean up the mess on my bench.

Keep on the great work Rick

Kind regards
Patrick