Author Topic: Special Hobby Vildebeest  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Gisbod

Special Hobby Vildebeest
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:58 PM »
Hello All,

Long time since I did a build log. I was tempted by all sorts of off piste kits at Telford. Random, but it’s good to chop and change I think? I ended up getting 5 kits - all nothing like I’d normally buy!

Hope it’s ok to post here as not WW1 (but 2 wings & rigging!).. please change sections if required Dave?

Sooo... I don’t build 1/72, but somehow this got me tempted:

I love this colour scheme (can you believe it’s from 1941?!)

Period pics show it to be multi toned - not unlike a bare metal finish with varying panel toning (it was, of course, doped aluminium paint):

The kit is, I believe, an old Azur boxing, so this is a reissue with new decals (which seem very nice), a resin fret and engine and a (really) beautiful PE fret for detail parts, the torpedo rack and seat belts etc.

The plastic parts are a bit on the ‘limited run’ side - quite a lot of flash, detail is a little indistinct and no locating pins, but that said, it has potential. Just will be a bit of a challenge, but I feel quite enthusiastic so hopefully that will be enough!

Initial thoughts are to rig it with monofilament pulled taught through holes drilled through the wings. The struts look flimsy and no locating holes so I might have to address that... any ideas welcome here.

Thanks

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lone modeller

Re: Special Hobby Vildebeest
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:42:07 AM »
Now that looks interesting. I did not know that this aircraft was available in kit form - and in the Correct Scale too!!

Please keep us posted on progress and the finished result.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:57:22 AM »
Neither my scale nor my period but that actually is looking like an interesting airplane. I built some SH- kits and I can say that I enjoyed every one of them. I wish you the same experiences with that one here!
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 04:13:15 AM »
Thanks Andreas & Stephen,

My only experience with Special Hobby was an Airspeed Oxford a few years back - but that was a pig!

This one isn’t perfect, I’ve just joined the fuselage up and it doesn’t quite match, but nothing a bit of sanding won’t sort out. I’ve already had one cock up - the fuselage has 3 glazing ports and 2 of them have pinged into the recesses of my work bench and I can’t find them  :( think I might try and glaze them with a glazing liquid? Haven’t tried that before - any suggestions on what to use?

That said, it’s beginning to look like a Vildebeest already! The nice thing about 1/72 is it goes together really fast. Enjoying myself so far.

Guy

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 04:25:04 AM »
The PVA glazing trick works OK, I would practice on sheet plastic with the aperture cut out to get a feel for how it works.

Nice clean work btw.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »
 Guy,
This Vildebeest promises to be a outstanding build my friend. She's not prettiest bird around but interest none the less. She reminds me of the aircraft in "The Shape of Things to Come".
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 09:16:12 PM »
Great start Guy, enjoy what you have done with this little gem.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 10:35:51 PM »
Thanks chaps!

Ryan, I’ve ordered some ‘Glue n’ Glaze’ and I’ve taken the one window I had out. Will try and glaze the 3 openings - but good tip to practice first - will do.

Juan.. it is a bit of a gem actually. At least it could be in the right hands!

So, after one afternoon modelling I’ve got it to this stage:

The tailplane struts are photo etch in the kit so looked a bit too flat. Replaced with plastic strip:

As the kit is going to be delicate and difficult to rig/ fix wings and struts after painting, I’m toying with the idea of basically completing it rigged n’ all before painting. Otherwise I know I’m going to balls it up by getting glue everywhere!

Rigging - I’m thinking of drilling holes (not all the way through) on the top wing - gluing in the monofilament then, when the top wing is on - pulling it through holes (all the way through) on the bottom wing.

Any reasons why that wouldn’t work?

Thanks

Guy

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 11:07:41 PM »
"Rigging - I’m thinking of drilling holes (not all the way through) on the top wing - gluing in the monofilament then, when the top wing is on - pulling it through holes (all the way through) on the bottom wing.

Any reasons why that wouldn’t work?"

Guy I have seen it done the exact opposite, but I don't know why your way wouldn't work. Perhaps one reason is you can leave the top wing unpainted until the pull through and putty work is complete.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 11:31:51 PM »
Also Guy, I don,t think your idea is all that bad about rigging then painting, my only concern would be the paint build up on the lines?

Ryan
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:40:38 AM by Ryan »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 12:11:46 AM »
This is an interesting, rare bird. Nice start, and waiting for next updates.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 03:21:23 AM »
Thanks  :)

Yep, I chickened out Ryan and I’ve ended up painting her before the top wing addition. Hopefully I’ll get it on without a trauma!

Just an initial coat of Alclad high speed silver which is over shiny, but more stages to come yet.

Guy

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 03:45:54 AM »
This is quick! You manage to assemble a whole aeroplane in the time it takes me to make 1/2 a wing!

Stephen.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 04:58:39 AM »
Thanks  :)

Yep, I chickened out Ryan and I’ve ended up painting her before the top wing addition. Hopefully I’ll get it on without a trauma!

Just an initial coat of Alclad high speed silver which is over shiny, but more stages to come yet.

You will get it sorted out, looks great sir.

Ryan

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 03:50:37 AM »
Sooo..

I did have the predicted trauma! I don’t know what it is, but I really struggle getting top wings on. I glued the centre struts in first, let them set, glued the top wing on, all good so far. Then realised the outer struts were about 3mm short! May have been me, not sure, anyway decided to replace them with brass rod first two went on fine, stood back to check the alignment and the whole thing spontaneously exploded! Broken centre struts. I could try again but some over spill from superglue here and there... I think it’s using superglue - it seems very brittle.

I think I’m going to get another one and start again. The kit could be really nice and I was enjoying it very much. I reckon it will be ok if I go back to my original idea of making it entirely before painting and use my standard liquid cement. But I think I’ll rig it after? Not sure yet. I think Ryan was right and I’d get too much paint build up on the monofilament.

I’d love to know how other people cope with this. I don’t have a jig - although I did get one but it was really poor quality and just fell apart. Any suggestions or tips most welcome!

Onwards and upwards...

Guy

Ps they’ll probably be a bit of a pause here but hopefully I will restore the build log shortly!