Author Topic: Special Hobby Vildebeest  (Read 9792 times)

Offline krow113

Re: Special Hobby Vildebeest
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 04:31:04 AM »
Bummer.
Jigs can be very simple.
Check the WNW website in the Gotha info there is an easy jig made from a box.
Sounds like you omitted the test fit stage , the center struts could have been shortened maybe. A jig holding things really helps.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 04:36:04 AM »
Sorry to hear about your issues Guy, she was coming out quite nicely.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 04:46:31 AM »
Jigs can be very simple - just look at some of my build logs. Provided that they are stable they can be assembled quickly and cheaply. I use paint pots to keep the wings aligned while drying out. I also suggest putting the outer struts on first - the cabanes are then not so difficult to adjust and fit.

Stephen.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 05:15:15 AM »
Thanks guys,

Yep, it seems such a basic part of modelling and I really should be better at it!

Will look at your suggestions with interest.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 12:51:24 AM »
Guy,
    I'm sorry to hear that the Modelling Gremlins have made it all the way from my bench to yours in the past several days! I'd say between Steve, Stephen, and yourself the solution is as stated; you need a jig for projects like this! If nothing else it would free up your (we only get two after all......) hands to measure and adjust the several dimensions you are dealing with. The stagger, spacing, and lateral alignment of the main and center cabane struts and achieving wing alignment top to bottom is complicated and you need all the help you can get when dealing with unsecured "free floating" strut mounts. With a Wingnut Wings Kit as an example the strut to structure fitting is beautifully engineered and usually careful assembly allows all the struts to be pre-placed and the upper wing more or less just pops on. With your Vildebeest you have none of those luxuries.
  I hope I'm not coming off as "Mister know it all"  here but I'd say a jig should be in the revised plan, and possibly a simple version as suggested would suffice. I have two of the things, the old Aeroclub one and a newer Vertigo Jig and I rely on them a lot. I also use Stephen's "simple is better" approach to the jig requirement when it suffices. As you can see in many of my "true confessions" here I need all the help I can get as I'm very adept at shooting myself in the foot as is.
   I hope this helps or at least provides food for thought. I'll be watching your recovery from this little setback with great hopes!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:27 AM »
Thanks Lance,

You’re absolutely right. I’m only used to Wingnuts quality and other kits need a little more care. The centre struts were a lot too long for a start.

I did get a vertigo jig (the clear plastic one?) but I was very disappointed with it and it simply fell apart. So now I don’t have a jig and there seems to be very little on the market that I can find (nothing at all in the UK?).

I’m determined to get over this hurdle though!

Guy

Offline krow113

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 01:53:28 AM »
What did you glue the vertigo jig together with?

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 02:03:31 AM »
Epoxy... So it should have been ok

Guy

Offline krow113

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 02:15:30 AM »
Most likely not.
As the epoxy wont melt the plastic to 'weld' it together.
Weld-On 3 is the best for the acrylic Vertigo jig.
Best of luck.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 06:02:55 AM »
I’ve gone for the JH models no.4802 large biplane jig. Basically it’s the only one that’s available other than the Vertigo and I had a nightmare getting that last time. I had to threaten a PayPal dispute to get it eventually.

Hopefully it will be an asset! I can’t do any worse anyway...

Thanks for the input, very helpful.

Guy

Offline Borsos

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 06:07:24 PM »
Sad to hear of your bad luck with this kit. I keep my fingers crossed for the next approach. I cannot add anything to the hints that are already given, but pinning the Struts with wire. I use 0.5 mm wire and drill bits and it works fine especially for test fitting an upper wing.
Goid luck and best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
Thanks Andreas,

I would do that on a larger model, but in 1/72 the struts are so thin I can’t see how that’s possible.. I guess I could replace the struts with brass rod and make a hole in the wing to take the whole thing, but I’d lose any tapering.

Guy

Offline Ryan

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »
Guy I might add that you could deepen the holes on the long struts to allow the wing to slide down them until it makes contact wit the shorter ones. even if they slightly poke through the top of the wing you could set and fix with putty.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »
Hi Guy,
CA adhesive do suffer from the 'ping effect'.
Once set it does tend to form a brittle joint so if the part gets knocked, 'ping', off it goes to carpet monster!!
I use 'Flexy 5' CA adhesive. They have a range for different applications - thick, thin, resin etc.
Their adhesive provides a better more secure joint, which can take a knock without the part breaking away,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 06:43:50 AM »
Thanks Mike,

Will look at that.

Guy