Author Topic: Eduard's 1/48 Sopwith Camel F.1 - the first to score N6347  (Read 10862 times)

Offline Halus

Eduard's 1/48 Sopwith Camel F.1 - the first to score N6347
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »
Plans is to build an aircraft from 4 Naval Squadron as piloted by Canadian Alexander MacDonald Shook.  On June 5th 1917 while flying N6347, he would be responsible for first victory scored by a Camel.    That's all I can find about the air frame. taken from the Osprey publication.

On to the kit:

The trio of aftermarket products are HGW lap belts, Barracuda resin wicker seat, and Gaspatch resin Vickers guns.

In the above photo, Eduard parts are pictured on the right side.   Eduard PE belts are ok, but they look to be the WW2 Sutton type, though maybe this style was introduced very late in the war?

Started with the engine, but several push rods broke while removing from sprue:

Decision is made to replace all rods with metal rod/wire @ 0.2mm diameter.  As I understand it, the RNAS preferred their Camels to be equipped with Bentley BR1.  The Eduard kit I believe has  the Clerget 9B, so some conversion is required.  Note, I've no idea if the crankcase or cylinders are the same size or larger, but maybe best not known since it could affect fit inside the cowl.

1. -  all push rods removed, drilled location holes in their place.  Also added small sections of plastic sheet to the top  sides of the cylinder heads.  These also had location holes drilled for the piping that reaches out from the backside.

2. - each cylinder is surrounded by four rods, using 0.2mm size (same diameter as push rods).  Decided to just drill one large hole to fit two rods as they come down into a V - but each hole was first packed with green putty.

3. - piping added in the rear, using 0.5mm rod.  To aid in attaching to the cylinder, the curved end of the piping also had 0.3mm rod inserted to fit into the sheet plastic added in step 1.

4.  - push rods finally added (0.2mm).  The green putty was added afterwards for additional strength, but not really accurate in terms of detail.

5. - pair of spark plugs added to the top sides of each cylinder - no holes drilled for this.   Basically just a 0.2mm rod inserted into  0.4mm section and super glued in place.

6. - Base coat of black followed by aluminum, ready for further detail painting.

Some quick numbers on the engine rebuild:
- total number of holes drilled: 54
- total number of sections of cut rods in various diamaters: 99  (11 pieces per cylinder)

Focus now turns to the cockpit...

Basic approach to instrument panel , but was surprised no PE on this (nor does Eduard make any separate IP for the 1/48 Camel - shocked!).  Dials are individual decals, but they are oversized so had to fill in the bezels in order to accommodate the decals.  The black bars (vertical and the one on top that looks like a bicycle handle) were replaced with brass rod.

Belts are put together, but I did apply an umber wash to dirty them up a bit and help some of the detail stand out.  HGW provides two different styles of attachment points, either metal or a loop of fabric leather.  Think will go with the latter in hopes it makes it easier to attach to the air frame.

The resin wicker chair paints up nicely, but still needs a cushion, and usually the top frame also has some padding - so out came the green putty.  Also added some Uschi rigging line as the raised seam around the cushion.  Painted flat black afterwards, and oil from the ole forehead adds some sheen.

regards,
Jack

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Eduard's 1/48 Sopwith Camel F.1 - the first to score N6347
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:02 AM »
 Jack,
Excellent first progress my friend. This promises to real gem in the works. Looking forward to seeing more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:07:40 AM »
Very convincing Bentley BR1! Only real difference is the crankcase, which would be very challenging using the kit parts. Looking forward to following this build!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:35 AM »
Nice work on  converting the engine! Convincing in the scale for sure! Your IP and seat are terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Halus

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »
Gregory, Ian, and RAGIII -guys, thanks for stopping in and providing the positive comments. 

Glad to know there are some eyes on this in case I run into problems or have questions.    Only hiccup I'm aware about the kit itself is the wing struts might be mistakenly reversed on the instructions.

regards,
Jack

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:08:47 PM »
Great work!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 11:17:12 PM »
Nice start on your camel.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 12:54:13 AM »
Beautiful work so far!

Antonio

Offline Halus

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 10:29:00 AM »
Hello Flugzeugwerke, GazzaS, Giuseppe, and Antonio - thanks kindly for those replies.

Fuselages not  together yet with still the tail skid to go, but here's the final interior shots:

Replaced the kit's carb intake with brass.  Ideally would have left as a final step after the exterior was painted, but was required to help hold the instrument panel in place.  Just barely visible are some cross wires added on the cockpit sides.

Rebuilt the control column as the kit part looked kind of chunky for the scale.

regards,
Jack

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
Great detailing Jack.  Looks outstanding.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
Jack,
    That's superb detail for 1:48 Scale, lots of it and very finely presented, looks more like 1:32. I may have missed your intro here, where in the great Canadian expanse are you? Nice work and welcome aboard!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Great work , Jack. The control column now looks really good. I like your extra detailing, it lifts the kit to an other level.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »
The new control column looks sweet!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
Excellent work Jack! This shaping up to be a real gem!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com