Author Topic: Eduard's 1/48 Sopwith Camel F.1 - the first to score N6347  (Read 10907 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Eduard's 1/48 Sopwith Camel F.1 - the first to score N6347
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
Jack, yep, you're right, I'm wrong. (Happens a lot it seems.)  When they first came out that was how I understood they were supposed to be used -- flat rigging wire glued against the flat side, but clearly that's not the intent.

Honestly in that case I don't see how they will add to your model, but I'm ready to be impressed.

carry on :)

Offline Halus

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 02:02:47 AM »
Flugzeugwerke, it's all good.

I wonder if other people that had tried this particular product also used the wider flat end as the wire attachment point.  Doesn't bode well,  as the proper end has even less area to hold glue.

regards,
Jack

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 10:54:37 PM »
Great update and on the rigging topic your method 2 should work to my eyes

Steve

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 07:04:57 AM »
I played around with these Gaspatch RAF rigging attachments also. The brass sleeve over the rod end worked fine for me, but the real problem was anchoring the flat end into the plastic. There isn't enough room where the double wires anchor, and I couldn't find a workable way of cutting in the appropriate sized slots for the flat end. It's easy enough to drill a small round hole, but to cut in a flat slot? If you come up with a good way, please post it because I would like to know for next time.

Thanks,
Geoge

Offline Halus

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
Thank you Steve and George.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother cutting out rectangle shaped holes for the rigging attachments either - I mean one could approach them like I did the openings for the wires that pass through near the wings roots, but even for me I'd consider that way too much work.

I'd of thought super glue gel would do the trick, both provide adhesion and fill in the remaining space of the drilled holes, but if not, filling the holes with green putty before anchoring the Gaspatch products into that should do the trick?

regards,
Jack

Online RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 01:03:40 AM »
I envy those of you that seek perfection! My method would/Will be smoke and mirrors white glue and incorrect round fishing line  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »
I envy those of you that seek perfection! My method would/Will be smoke and mirrors white glue and incorrect round fishing line  8)
RAGIII

Oh Rick, how can you live with that?  ;)
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2018, 06:28:09 AM »
I like the Gaspatch turnbuckles, but not the RAF type.
So I build my own solution during work on the Sopwith Pup in 1/48.

A terminal for the RAF wires (I use this flat EZ-line for this), raw ...

... and in use:

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
"Lance, you asked where in Canada I reside, that would be a small town in NE Ontario"
Jack,
     Thanks, and welcome to our little club from a small town in North Eastern Alberta!
Cheers,
Lance

Uh, oh: I live in a small town in NE Ontario. Wouldn't it be neat if...!<G>

Good luck with this build, Jack!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2018, 11:36:13 AM »
 Jack,
Outstanding Camel project my friend. I really am impressed with how you handled her underside,EXCELLENT. Looking forward to seeing how your rigging turns out. Keep up the high excellence.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Halus

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »
Frank, thanks for those image links from your build (had to go see your Pup and leave a comment for you there).  Man, that is ingenuity to create your own turnbuckles.

Gary, thanks for that ... does your small town have an arena that once used to be known as 'The Barn'?

hi Gregory, thanks and I'm trying ...

regards,
Jack

Bughunter

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
Thank you Jack!
Your interior and the other things looks so cool, so I had to add my ideas here.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Halus

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »
Since last update, have worked on both ends of the fuselage and got her up on her legs somewhat.  I tell ya it was a bit tricky setting the main landing gear, as all three pieces had to be positioned before the glue set:

Wheels won't be added until after everything is painted up,  same with the rudder (taped for photo).

Tail assembly needed some reinforcement, as the fin was only held in place by a single point forward.  So added a 0.8mm brass rod, which also acts as the hinge attachment point for the rudder. Tail skid also fixed, just barely visible is the support rod made of brass.

1. - original rudder attachment has three thick hinges, these were trimmed off.   The added brass rod also makes this area more accurate detail wise.

2. - detail view.  Note the hinges were placed into notches sawed into the spine of  the rudder.

3. - test fit of rudder.

At the forward end, latches made from sheet plastic.  A thin wire added around the circumference of the cowl as well as some further details on the underside - based on photos.

To facilitate the painting stage, decided to separate the cockpit decking into it's wood and metal sections.  Sawing exercise causes some plastic loss, so had to replace that with sheet plastic.

A side note, Eduard provides two styles of cockpit decking - the one above is the cut open style.  This was a field modification to facilitate access to the gun breeches.  I couldn't find any info as to when this was carried out on this particular air frame (or even as a general practice for the Camel units), but really not much choice in the matter when fitting the aftermarket machine guns.

regards,
Jack

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 03:07:19 PM »
Wow! Your work is amazing. The turnbuckles are extreme realistic.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 06:12:16 PM »
Awesome work!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.