Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.  (Read 18793 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »
Stephen,
   Thanks for the compliment. Interesting idea, and one which I've only briefly considered in the past. A "cut-away" would be a real challenge, and something completely different, I'm definitely going to give it more thought!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2018, 03:10:27 AM »
I remember me building the Revell Naval Camel with the red stripes seveal times when I was a child. I really love that striped sheme, it looks simply amazing from your bench.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Andreas,
    Thanks very much for the comment. I have had a minor set back having mounted the top wing. All was fitting very well until I broke two inter plane strut lower connector extensions on the very thin struts which, until then, I thought would not require pinning. They are in place now but I may have to "pin" them, which will be a real challenge with the upper wing in place! The joys of modelling! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2018, 03:35:54 PM »
Sad to know about struts damage, your camel is becoming a real beauty. Painting is great.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2018, 11:46:34 PM »
Thanks Giuseppe, It's holding presently and I'm tempted to rig it to hold it all in place. I hope to get a better assessment of it later today......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »
Andreas,
    Thanks very much for the comment. I have had a minor set back having mounted the top wing. All was fitting very well until I broke two inter plane strut lower connector extensions on the very thin struts which, until then, I thought would not require pinning. They are in place now but I may have to "pin" them, which will be a real challenge with the upper wing in place! The joys of modelling! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Sorry to hear of this mishap. I cross my fingers for a problemfree fix!
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2018, 03:54:01 AM »
Sorry to hear of the broken strut locators Lance. As good as they are WNW struts can still be delicate as I found on a couple of builds in the last 10 years. I am sure your fix will hold things together. The rigging should add some structural integrity!
RAAGIII
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:09:10 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
Andeas, Rick,
    Thanks for that, I hope you are right as I don't look forward to removing the struts and working "between the wings" if that is what's required. I certainly won't be undoing the joints on the good struts unless it's the only resort left! :(
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:17 AM »
Wishing you all the best on this setback Lance.  She looks lovely and deserves better.  Looking forward to your success.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2018, 05:46:07 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes Juan, confidence is high however I'll need to get some bench presence to see how this unfolds; hopefully my talents at causing self induced problems is matched by the ability to recover from this little foul up! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2018, 03:35:48 AM »
I'm afraid I'm late on another update, this one really progressed quickly once the broken struts were repaired. After several vain attempts to use the cleaned up breaks as "butt" joints I finally had to bite the bullet and remove the broken struts. They were "pinned" with stainless steel wire and reattached with CA successfully although the joins are not nearly as clean as I would like them.

The upper wing mounting proved an easy exercise using 5 Minute Epoxy to allow some adjustment time and once dried overnight the model was mounted in the "Magic Third Hand" and rigging commenced. I've used a combination of Chamelion 0.12 Mono Line and Modelkasten as usual.

Since completing the interplane rigging the tail and aileron rigging has been added and the wheels attached as well. The model is near finished now and requires only finish touch ups, a prop decal, and the addition of the Rotherham Fuel Pump to the undercarriage frame. Here's several bench top photos as she now sits, more to follow in Completed Models once I do the finishing touches.

...... as you can see in this shot there's a few spots where a bit of "bleed" of thin CA needs touching up.....

This is the second of the five Camels I eventually hope to build and, lesson now learned, I'll be taking the time to pin the struts on those following! The Kit is excellent and a modeller with less arthritic and steadier fingers would no doubt be just fine without those added bits, however yours truly, "Mister Twitch", will take the time to add them!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2018, 03:57:19 AM »
Excellent recovery, Lance!  She's a real stunner!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2018, 04:54:54 AM »
Thanks Bud, the real key is to avoid having to recover ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
This is a wonderful Camel, Lance. I am sure in the shortest time all problems during the build will be forgotten.
I love especially the markings, these are a real eyecatcher!
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »
Beautiful recovery Lance.  Even with you pointing out some flaws, I cannot see them.  Looking forward to seeing her completed.