Author Topic: Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Early (WNW 1/32) ON HOLD  (Read 18609 times)

Offline GB

Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Early (WNW 1/32) ON HOLD
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
Given that I had sooooo much fun building the E.II, thought it'd be rude not to keep the ball rolling and dive straight into another kit. Another xmas prezzie from teh wife, this time a W12.
I seem to recall that many, many years ago, I built an Airfix Short Sunderland so this will be only my second float plane ever.....

This time I'm adding a few little trinkets. The jury is out on the Spandau cooling jackets at this stage as they seem a little too 'heavy', but we'll see when we get to that stage.

One thing I have never ever done, is the hex camo so any advice on applying these will be greatly appreciated - please chime in with your recommendations  :D

Gary
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:41:59 PM by GB »

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Early (WNW 1/32)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
Cool, Gary.
I will take a seat and popcorn and try to learn a bit. Will be an other great build by you.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:55:11 PM »
Great choice Gary, looking forward to your progress.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:01:19 AM »
Gary,
    It is indeed a great choice and I look forward to the results! I built this a while back for our Diorama Group Build (https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7714.msg141824#msg141824) and it proved typical of the Wingnut Wings brand, a magnificent Kit and very enjoyable Build. There are a few "pitfalls" along the way however nothing insurmountable. Have you chosen a scheme yet?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GB

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
Welcome along gentlemen. I shall try not to disappoint  :D

Lance - thanks for the link. Will be referring to your blog for sure!

Made a start last night - no pics for now. Just started removing the cockpit main parts from the sprues. Looks like a majority of the HGW interior stuff is a waste of time. The wood effect panels for everything aside from the fuselage interior are essentially just a plain colour with no grain effect. Not sure if it's a printing issue or designed that way, but will be resorting back to good old fashioned painting of those parts.
Some nice PE parts, but will only be using those necessary. AM is nice, but doesn't always guarantee any improvement.

I've also decided to order a set of Aviattic faded naval hex decals given the positive feedback about them on this site.

Gary

Offline GB

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 03:09:27 PM »
Well, the good news guys is that I nake the mistakes so you don't have to  :P

The wood grain effect parts in the HGW set are only good enough for the bin. All of them.

As I mentioned earlier, the interior panels are poor depictions of wood and they are also just printed paper. The panels which go inside the fuselage sides are also glossy paper but don't even fit anywhere near close  :o

I'm at a complete loss as to how HGW can sell this as an upgrade - let alone call it a 'High Quality Set'. I honestly feel as if I've been mugged. BIG lesson learnt here.

Anyway, the old fashioned way of acrylics and oils it is  ;D

Parts removed from the sprues ready for paint....

Gary

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
Gary, wait! In a set that I have used on my Fe.2b, the "paper" was a precut decal on it's carrier paper. May be it is the same point here.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 06:25:27 PM »
Hi Manni

It may well be, but it still doesn't fit. It really is a poor design and not worth the $. Paint is certainly a better option.

Gary

Offline Russell

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 11:34:02 PM »
Hi Manni

It may well be, but it still doesn't fit. It really is a poor design and not worth the $. Paint is certainly a better option.

Gary

Gary,

If it is a pre-cut decal than some trimming isn't to be unexpected as it's better to be a touch oversize than too small.

Pre-cut decals (if that's what they are) - albeit a touch oversize are still far more convenient than doing it yourself from a basic wood-grain decal sheet.

Regards
Russell

Offline GB

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:35:38 AM »
I guess a lack of knowledge of HGW stuff hasn't helped. I get the oversizing, but design is still to be desired and I'd expect better - maybe I'm bei g too picky!

Anyway, made a start on painting the wood last night. Will get some piccies this evening.

Gary

Offline GB

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Wasn't happy with the way the wood effect came out so ended up stripping the parts back to bare styrene. Will start again over the weekend....

Gary

Offline GB

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
Slightly off track (though it is sea plane related!). Model Shop about 2hrs north of me has closed down. Stock was bought up by my LHS and they were selling kits at 50% off. Guess what I scored?

I'm a pretty happy chappy I have to say  8) 8)

Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:18:41 AM »
Outstanding find! Looking forward to when you tackle them!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GB

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
I do think I need to question my sanity for buying something so intricate when I've just made the switch to aircraft  :o

Anyway, on with the current build and I have some photos at last.

For the wood effect, I'm trying some different oils this time. Winsor and Newton Griffin Alkyd. The acrylics I tried dry way too fast, but these are just right. Touch dry (with the little amount I'm using anyway) in a few hours and you can speed that up further by adding some Liquin.

So, I used Tamiya Flat Flesh in this instance followed by a clear coat. Then I added Raw Sienna and created the grain effect with a piece of sponge. When dry, a couple of coats of clear yellow followed.

I ended up using the PE bezel surrounds form the HGW set for the instruments while the 'glass' is Micro Kristal Klear.

For the engine support section, I utilised chipping fluid to recreate the worn effect.

Gary

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
Map case and camera added....

Fuselage interiors prepped....

Gary