Author Topic: Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Early (WNW 1/32) ON HOLD  (Read 18884 times)

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Early (WNW 1/32)
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2018, 12:30:14 AM »
Looking really good Gary.  Aviattic decals are great and look the part.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2018, 01:55:47 AM »
Looking really good Gary.  Aviattic decals are great and look the part.

A much better and very impressive difference with the new decals, it's looking very nice! With your re-work of the markings and the change in lozenge this Build has moved into a  much higher class, great work Gary, I like this one a lot!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GB

« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
 ;D

First wing covered. Cut decal into 4 sections - very careful to make sure joins don't show as no rib tapes to add on these...

When they are completely dry, will trim the trailing edge with a sharp blade.

Gary

Offline GB

« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »
WIP....

What's the green tape I hear you ask? Well, after reading up on how to apply these decals, it appears that even the sharpest of blades can have a trouble cutting neatly through the decals where they need to be trimmed. So I thought it may help to put some masking tape on the underside so any overhang of the decals will adhere to the tape. This should make trimming a lot easier. Will see if it is a good idea once dry  ;D

Gary

Offline spliffsecond

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »
I read somewhere that you can dissolve the overhang with some Tamiya extra thin,
it also helps with adherance to the edge.

grtz
free

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2018, 08:34:22 PM »
Looks great! Bud uses Tamiya extra thin cement. I have used a sanding stick or rolled sandpaper moving only from top to bottom. I have been successful with a really sharp blade on a few also.

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2018, 02:00:59 AM »
Gary,
     I'm looking forward to the results of your experiment with tape on the edges; I find that final step with these decals the most challenging and solutions are always most welcome!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2018, 02:07:24 AM »
Great recovery! Having just spent an afternoon masking and painting the red bands on my DVII only to have them both too rough, and in the wrong place, I know how you must have felt earlier!

I used Mr Mark softer on the trailing edges of my Aviattic decals on my 1/72 builds, this somehow makes the edges brittle and allows for easier trimming with a new scalpel blade. I suppose Extra Thin will do the same, but might be a bit hotter (though don't let the Mr Mark stuff pool too long as well, as it will melt the printed surface!)

Jeroen

Offline GB

Re: Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Early (WNW 1/32) ON HOLD
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »
While the trimming with masking tape workled well, I'm still not entirely happy - especially at the wing tips and some of the decal joins. Rather than perservering which is causing some frustration, I think it best to put this to one side for now and revist in the future. I've invested too much time and effort to abandon this, just feel that putting things on hold will be the sensible option for now.

Gary

Offline RAGIII

Re: Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 Early (WNW 1/32) ON HOLD
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2018, 12:52:35 AM »
Gary,
I understand where you are coming from. You are most likely being overcritical of your own work but aren't we all! I am sure you will sort it out when you decide to go back. Perhaps this is why My dual builds tend to go well. When one of the models reaches the frustration point I move to the other one  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler