Author Topic: 1/32 Fokker v.23 - my first scratchbuild  (Read 19984 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: 1/32 Fokker v.23 - my first scratchbuild
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 08:09:18 AM »
Brilliant use of different materials. Your soldering looks very neat to me. Will continue to follow this with great interest.

Stephen.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
Spectacular work, Ken!  She's shaping up beautifully!
Cheers,
Bud

I agree completely with my Amigo !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 10:45:33 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen.  It's very encouraging.

The value of forums like this is that methods and techniques can be shared to create works of art.  I think this was Des's intention.

Offline kensar

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 11:12:05 AM »
Update for March 9

Getting to the fiddly bits now.

I made a couple more seat cushions.  The first one had the pleats in the wrong place.  The nail-like objects are the buttons for the cushion.
They are made by holding a piece of monofilament near a flame.  The heat makes the end shrink back and knot up.  Put them through holes drilled in the cushion and superglue from the back.  Trim off the monofilament ends with a hobby knife.

The fuel tank air pump, seat, tail skid, and instrument panel (not quite finished).  Still need to make the hand cranked magneto thingamabob.  Let me know if I'm getting too technical.  Instrument faces by Airscale decals.  I turned out the bezels on my lathe.

Cockpit framing - the wire bracing loops in the corners are larger than I wanted, but they won't be very visible.

Still more details to make for the cockpit. 
I decided I don't like the wings.  They are too big, so I plan to cut them down a bit.  The chord and span is too large.

Keep on modelling!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:31:12 AM by p9o1r1sche »

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
you seem to have taken to scratchbuilding like a duck to water! Love those bezels

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 04:33:24 AM »
Excellent work on the interior! I am so glad you decided to scratch build tis one as your work on a "FIRST" scratchbuild is inspiring!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aircooled

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
Curious as to what kind of lathe you are using on this project.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »
Outstanding work all around.  I applaud your efforts and the results.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 03:46:56 AM »
That is a lovely bit of scratchbuilding there: the seats are very good and the general cockpit interior is first class.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 05:37:10 AM »
That's an impressive cockpit and a clever way to create a seat cushion. It's going to be a very nice model!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline kensar

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 08:01:20 AM »
Thanks for words of encouragement.  It keeps me motivated.

I've been working on the cockpit and only have a couple of things to add to it to finish it.

The lathe I have is one of the 'cheap' Chinese 7 X 10 jobs.  People say they are crap but the bed is solid cast metal so its sturdy and if you know how to tune them up (check minilathe .com) you can hold +/- 0.001" easily.  Some parts do wear and have to be replaced every few years.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »
Thanks for words of encouragement.  It keeps me motivated.

I've been working on the cockpit and only have a couple of things to add to it to finish it.

The lathe I have is one of the 'cheap' Chinese 7 X 10 jobs.  People say they are crap but the bed is solid cast metal so its sturdy and if you know how to tune them up (check minilathe .com) you can hold +/- 0.001" easily.  Some parts do wear and have to be replaced every few years.

I would love to see some of your lathe setups for making those small bezels. To do turning that small you need really sharp tools and very accurate tool setting, and a lot of skill

I usually turn stuff like that by hand using a hand graver

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 04:50:22 PM »
 :o ...the brezels....cool
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline kensar

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
March 14 update

Been focused on the cockpit and lack only a harness.  I'll have to order one.  In the meantime there is plenty more work to do.

According to my D.VII references, it appears Fokker wrapped the bracing turnbuckles in linen, presumably to keep them from wearing through the fuse covering.  This makes it easy to simulate.  I tied two simple knots about 6 - 8 mm apart in some 0.005" monofilament line.  I did not pull the knots tight, but left the knots about 1 mm open.  I passed each end of the line through the loops in the frame.  Then passed each end through each of the knots, the ends going in opposite directions.  Then pull the ends tight.  This tightens up the whole line so there is no sagging and the knots will hold it.  Coat everthing between the knots with thick CA glue and let cure.  Then paint white and weather with some gray grime.  Presto! - simulated bracing turnbuckles that didn't cost any more than the monofilament line.

I used monofilament to attach the back of the cockpit.  Painted CDL color and weathered.  The monofilament line, however needs to be colored white.  Too late for this build, so that will be for next time.

Since this is a prototype plane with no guns, I left the ammo box open on top.  I put the box in because without it, one could see up to the next bulkhead in the fuse, which I wanted to hide as much as possible.  The flex cable for the tach is a wound guitar string.  It has very fine winding detail.

With the seat in position.

I haven't finished any other part of the plane yet, so more updates coming.  The devil makes work for idle hands!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:31:56 AM by p9o1r1sche »

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
I love the scratch built detail you've put together!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.