Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Fokker E.II/E.III Early  (Read 13423 times)

Bughunter

Re: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Fokker E.II/E.III Early
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 03:10:53 AM »
Oh, a really great build so far! The weathering is done very professional!

Only the weathering on the engine is too much for my taste, since the high rotation speed of the whole engine centrifuges the oil and dust to the outside (that is a rotary, not  a tank diesel ;)). So near to all pictures shows some oil, but more or less metallic engines. But this is only my view, it is your model!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
Gorgeous painting and the oil staining looks perfect!
RAGIII
I agree with my Amigo, Gary!  She's perfect!
Cheers,
Bud

So does Amigo # 3 !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline GB

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
Thank you everyone.

Frank - you are quite correct. I openly admit I've been a bit heavy with the weathering. Guess that comes from years of armour modelling. But given this is essentially my first real build (I'm not counting my failed Camel  :-\), I hope I can be forgiven  ;) I will endeavour to build something a little less well worm next time!

Getting closer to the finish line, but it'd not all plain sailing (why would it be!!!!)

Wings are done and added turnbuckles....

Research on this site turned up info on the turnbuckles being colour coded, so followed that idea.

The windshield was interesting. Found out that the cut out supplied in the kit was too big for the tab at the bottom of the clear part. The length was fine, but is was twice as wide as it needed to be. This reulted in an unwanted gap which needed to be filled. Not an easy job when everything is already painted!!!

No photos yet, but have fitted the wings. Issue is they have a tendancy to drop resulting in an anhedral. I did try to bend the tabs a little which has improved things a bit, but it's not great. The rigging on the upper wings, while using Ezi rigging, isn't enough to keep the wings up where they need to be. I'm going to try a different material for the forward outer rigging lines - something that isn't elasticated - to help keep the wings up. I'll also ensure that when I'm rigging underneath, any tension in the lines is kept to a minimum.

Then it's onto the prop. Looking forward to replicating that laminated wood....  :o

Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 02:07:53 AM »
Awesome painting!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 03:32:03 AM »
Looks outstanding, your progress is impressive.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2018, 05:04:54 AM »
I’m a bit late to this string but I thought I’d make a couple of comments. The swirl son the cowling are not due to “turned” aluminum, rather from a paste that was hand brushed on. Could have been some kind of anti-corrosion substance. Your method of replicating that is very effective.

I also had an anhedrial issue on my E-III. I plan to shim the wing-to-fuselage join to remove it and stabilize the wings.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline GB

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
And she's done.....

Added a light flat coat to dull the finish down a little and then added further 'glossy' oil stains etc. Also put some muddy boot prints on the wing roots and the small teddt bear supplied in the kit. Hope you like it and please feel free to critique - good or bad. This is my first 1/32 WW1 plane and the only way I'll get better is by learning from you guys  8)

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9200.0

Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 02:04:08 AM »
I really enjoyed following your build and processes! I learned a lot from your techniques.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 10:30:41 PM »
A fast and very effective build, congratulation on your beautiful eindecker.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Russell

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »
I’m a bit late to this string but I thought I’d make a couple of comments. The swirl son the cowling are not due to “turned” aluminum, rather from a paste that was hand brushed on. Could have been some kind of anti-corrosion substance. Your method of replicating that is very effective.

I also had an anhedrial issue on my E-III. I plan to shim the wing-to-fuselage join to remove it and stabilize the wings.

Hello Eindecker,
Do you have any references for this application of 'paste'? I've read about it before but not known where the evidence is - or if there is any evidence.

Regards
Russell

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 02:45:44 AM »
Excellent  !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »
Lots of modeling in a short period of time.  Outstanding work for a guy coming over from the armor side of the house.  The cowl machining is especially nice, I will have to get one of those pens, so thanks for sharing that and your outstanding build.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline GB

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
 :D