Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Fokker E.II/E.III Early  (Read 13435 times)

Offline GB

Wingnut Wings 1/32 Fokker E.II/E.III Early
« on: December 29, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
After years of building things with tracks, time for a complete change of direction. Wife got me this for xmas and after a near disasterous foray into WW1 aviation a while back (great learning experience though!), decided to get serious and give this gorgeous aircraft a go. I'm not used to building such things, so go easy on me, but I am here to lean too so please feel free to chime in with any comments - good or bad  ;)

Gary

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Fokker E.II/E.III Early
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
You have chosen an excellent kit and one that you will find very enjoyable to build. Not an overly complicated kit but care does need to be taken when building it, the rigging looks complex but with a methodical approach you should manage it okay. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like, we have an enormous number of very talented members who not only are very friendly but are also willing to share their knowledge with you, enjoy your build and I look forward to following along.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline aliluke

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
Love that choice  - I got the E IV for Christmas from my work mates. Turns out the E II/III was a superior plane and the E IV a bit of dog - too heavy and prone to overheating. I would recommend the Osprey Publishing "Nieuport 11/16 Bebe vs Fokker Eindecker" by Jon Guttman as a good read. I presume it is quite accurate and tons of photos and painted images. Good luck and I'll be following  - the EII/III is similar to the EIV in many respects so I look forward to your progress.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline davec

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »
Gary - That was my second WW1 build, and the one that got me hooked.  It is a great kit.  Looking forward to your progress.

Dave

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 01:11:22 AM »
Great kit and I am sure you will do well! Just remember to feel free to ask questions if you need advice. Someone here will have the answer!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 01:49:20 AM »
Great choice in aircraft, do you know which decal option you will be using.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline GB

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome. Pressure is on now for me not to disappoint  :o ;D

At this stage, am opting for von Althaus' E.II - simple scheme, but one I'm drawn to.

As with probably 99.9% of kits I make, this one will not be strictly OOTB and I'll add some 'improvements' as I go along.

First up, the hand pump fuel tank pressurising system needs some attention IMHO. It's moulded so it 'blends' in with the aluminium frame - obviously not the case on the real thing. So I'm remaking the the pipework from copper wire and brass tube...

An early foray into rigging as some is required for the cockpit. I could have kept it simple and used just Easy Line, but I believe in making things complicated when they don't need to be  :P

I made my own turnbuckles with....

... which was annealed first in a flame before....

The centre section...

... cut into 2mm sections and the wire inserted into each end with a little CA gel to secure.

Have to admit that my first attempt wasn't that great....

After removing the rest of the parts from the sprues....

I decided to redo the rigging and much happier with the second attempt....

I usually depict wood using oils, but am over waiting so long for them to dry, so thought I'd give these a go....

You have to work fairly quick, but gives a decent effect for a first effort. Might try adding some retarder next time...

WnW suggest Tamiya colours for acrylics, but these aren't always the correct shade. Point in case, Interior grey-green XF76. Way too light so opted for Mr Hobby's H70 - RLM02 Gray. Rigging is picked out with flat amuminium with XF6 copper for the new pipework....

Mistake admission time. Added some flight control lines at this stage....

Those of you who have/are building the kit will see the issue. For those who aren't, the cables go though the seat support frame - which I didn't fit first  :-\ D'oh!

Not insurmountable, but a schoolboy error. Fixed....

The seat cushion is painted with Vallejo leather with a dark wash and the drybrushed with Mr Hobby Red Brown. The seat rear is RLM02 with a wash and then the inside is treated with Gun Metal pigments to simulate wear. Lap belts are as per kit, annealed first, primed and then painted with Tamiya Buff with flat aluminium buckles etc and then a wash to dirty them up a little.

Fuel tank and empty ammo belt box WIP....

Before final assembly, everything got a pin wash and some filters to bring things 'to life' and I used steel pigments to simulate wear ofn things such as the rudder pedals.

And cockpit 99% complete....

Still learning a few things the hard way. Especially moulding the harnesses to the seat shape prior to painting  ::) Also that AK's xtreme metal Matte Aluminium, while it sprays nicely, isn't very matte  :-\

Finally, the intructions see to show some cross bracing directly below the ammo belt box but is very vague. Any ideas?

Cheers

Gary

Offline aliluke

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
WOW! Incredible start. What a great cockpit - everything is extraordinarily rendered. You are way out my league mate.

I'm intrigued by how you conclude Tamiya XF76 is "way too light". I've seen the colour on the steel frames of a TVAL Fokker DVII replica under construction and it is very close to XF76 to my eye (and I'm guessing they know?). How do you figure it to be too light? Just a friendly ask...

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline davec

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 10:05:01 PM »
Hi Gary - Awesome work - the repressurizing pipe looks great.  I see how you made the turnbuckles.  How is the EZ line attached to the loops?  It looks like you have created loops in the EZ line - did you superglue it back on itself?

Thanks!

Dave

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 11:13:05 PM »
Outstanding start Gary, looks fantastic.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 11:16:55 PM »
Gorgeous interior Gary! You are off to brilliant start!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 12:04:01 AM »
Really nice work on the cockpit and your "woodwork" looks great. I also really like the results you achieved with the frame rigging, beautiful work! I'll be following this one closely, lots to be learned here!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 01:26:36 AM »
Great start, beautiful result!
I will follow, since you provide tips to new materials, which I do not know yet.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline GB

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
Thanks all  :)

Alistair - I thought that the lighter green was more post WW1? Obviously not  ;D

Time now to paint and weather the inside of the fuselage. As well as the usual acrylic paints, I'm using this excellent set from AK to depict dirt, oil and grime etc....

Cockpit fixed to one side. Also added the MG trigger cable....

Two halves fit perfectly. Only top half cemented together to start with as per instructions, clamped and set aside to cure....

If anyone is interested, here is basically how I did my internal rigging. I've used lead wire here as it's easier to photo for the sake of this demonstration.

Easy line (or whatever you like to use) is threaded through the turnbuckle eyelet....

I then create a simple knot....

You then adjust the knot to the distance from the eyelet to suit. A small drop of CA glue (I used the gel type personally) is applied to the knot itself....

The end of the line is then trimmed as close to the knot as possible...

And that's basically it.

Gary

Offline davec

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 11:05:27 PM »
Gary -

many thanks for the internal rigging tutorial.  I'm enjoying watching your progress and learning some new things.

Dave