Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Fokker E.II/E.III Early  (Read 13403 times)

Offline GB

Re: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Fokker E.II/E.III Early
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
Thanks Dave  :)

Onto the underside next....

The line of stitching is provided as a seperate part....

If I do another, I'd remove the two cable aperture parts from the stitching part and fit them first as removing the join between parts is a bit of a mission  when you have fine detail in such close proximity.
In the end, I shaved off the 'leather' patches to make it easier to sand flat and then made new ones from thin styrene sheet...

The 100hp Oberursel U.1 engine is up next....

Nigh on impossible to get a seamless join between the cylinders due to the fine cooling fins. I suspect a resin motor would be a better option?

Nice and dirty....

frontal cowling parts added....

The seperate part at the rear for the control line apertures was again, a real PITA to blend seamlessley into the upper fuelage  :o

Undercarriage frame...

Dry fitted....

Gary

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »
You are motoring along quite well with this build Gary and what you have acheived so far is looking really good, I like the "dirty" engine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GB

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »
Thanks Des.

The undercarriage, rigging, had me stumped initially. The WnW diagram in the instructions is more confusing than helpful IMHO. So after a long search on Google, managed to get enough of an idea as to what goes where and how things are attached.

I made the turnbuckles the same way as per cockpit. WIP...

Kinda getting into a rhythm with the rigging now and it's not as daunting as I initially feared  :D

Gary

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »

Nigh on impossible to get a seamless join between the cylinders due to the fine cooling fins. I suspect a resin motor would be a better option?

Gary

Not necessarily, there would be a mould split line there to deal with. That join on rotary and radial engines is just a part of WW1 modelling

I do like your turnbuckles

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline GB

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
Thanks Richard.

Good and bad progress this evening.

Managed to get some paint on the fuselage. Pics don't show the shading up - sorry. Will need to get some decent pics when it's light tomorrow.

Started off by basecoating with Tamiya XF-22 RLM Gray. This enabled to be see if there were any blemishes I missed. Also painted the undercarriage assembly at the same time....

I then did some pre shading with Tamiya X-2 White....

Mr Hobby H70 RLM02 heavily thinned for the base colour....

The preshading does show though 'in the flesh'.

Prior to some post shading, I needed to be able to dry fit the wings and the front corner of the stardboard one needs to be cut away to clear the engine cowling....

Post shading, inc around the wing roots....

All was going well and was happy with how things were going. Applied a couple of thinned down coats of Tamiya X-20 Clear and went back about 30min later to find the paint had reacted somehow in a few patches, leaving a milky colour. Not much I could do except sand the paint back and start again. This time I've left the clear coat off and will try again tomorrow. Sneaking suspicion I may have been a little over exuberant with the AB  ::)

Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 12:40:35 AM »
Your paint work on the fuselage and wings is really looking great! Well done!!
RAGIII

PS: I am hesitant to use Tamiya clear after having a bad experience with it on my Fokker EV build. It left a couple of spots which turned into a PEELING off of the clear finish. I ended up stripping and repainting the wing.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:09:23 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GB

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 11:45:26 AM »
Cheers RAGIII. Decided against risking using Tamiya clear again so opted for good ol' floor polish instead  :D Works all the time when I'm building armour - should have stuck with what I know and trust  ::)

Front cowling is next up....

Protective plate is moulded on but you get a much nicer PE option if you wish....

Apologies for the bad pic, but primed parts with semi-gloss black first prior to top coat of Tamiya XF16 Flat Aluminium with a touch of light grey to tone things down a little...

Forward fuselage gets the same treatment. Leaving things to dry before doing anything else here.....

Gary
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:15:06 PM by GB »

Offline GB

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »
Okay, have to confess I've not been looking forward to replicating the turned aluminium effect on the engine cowling etc. I read up on how to do it via Google and had some test runs on a sheet of evergreen styrene, but couldn't get it to look right.

I then had a bit of an epithany and made a trip to an art shop - finding exactly what I needed. I'm hoping I got the look right but will let the pics do the talking and you can be the judge. I've also started adding the decals too as you can see....

Gary

Offline rayb24

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »
What a great turned aluminum finish!  Is that a gel pen?

Offline GB

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
Thanks rayb24. I think it's actually acrylic paint. Certainly behaves like it.

Gary

Offline Borsos

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 07:24:51 PM »
Great progress. The fuselage shading/weathering, the swirrel on the metal parts and your first rigging are top class.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 11:02:25 PM »
The swirl looks outstanding! That pencil worked wonders and is now on my list of things I Need! The fuselage shading looks equally fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »
The swirl looks outstanding! That pencil worked wonders and is now on my list of things I Need! The fuselage shading looks equally fantastic!
RAGIII

I'll add my praise as well, that swirl effect is something I also dread however this looks like a great solution; nicely done and I'm going to be "sourcing" a couple of those pens!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 02:08:45 AM »
Outstanding work all-around Gary, you are creating a gem here.

Offline GB

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
Thank you for the kind words gentlemen  :D

Time to give this a little bite by adding its Spandau. Using kit parts here with a short piece of brass tube to replicate the muzzle.

The cooling jacket is annealed and then bent around a suitably sized drill bit. I then soldered the end piece on for strength as it allowed me to file down the edges to ensure they were nice and snooth....

A touch of Gun Metal is added to Tamiya Semi Gloss Black before I used steel pigments for weathering along wit a little gun grease here and there....

I've also made a start on weathering of the cowling etc as you can see...

You can probably tell I have an armour modelling background  ;D ;D

Gary