Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Dolphin  (Read 15599 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Dolphin
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »
Thanks guys for your comments, compliments and following along on this build.  After getting over the fact that my engine isn't in correctly, I moved on and got the model completed.  Another area to watch for are the photographic insets along the way.  A lot of the little detail decals are called out in these and not reflected on the artwork for the decal application.  Page 6 shows the Sopwith Crest and data plate on the front cowling.

I missed this, haply when I was going over the instructions to see what I had missed, I discovered it and applied the decal accordingly.  The image is a bit blurred, but you get the idea.

Another area that I couldn't quite figure out was on page 14, the drawing for the SARD "Red Star 6", the "6" was readily apparent.  The drawing doesn't show the "6" on the star, however, in the inset, you can barely make out a "6" in the star in the photo, so I put it in as I had these "6's" but couldn't seem to figure out where they went.

The model with the "6" in the star.

When mapping out where the eyelets should go for rigging, don't forget to drill out the hole and insert the eyelet by the radiator.  If it isn't done prior to mating the fuselage to the lower wing it could be a bit dicey.  The image below indicates where this should be.

Due to the rearward stagger of the upper wing, I began my rigging by starting in the back, working closest to the fuselage and working my way rearward and outboard. 

I am calling it done, I started on 11 December, I tried not to rush it, but it's my nature and here it is, save for the running lights on the lower wings, I am calling it finished.  I hope the comments and observations will help.

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »
Beautifully done Mark, it certainly turned out to be a very nice looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline mgunns

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:14 PM »
Thanks Des, duly appreciated.  I gotta take better pictures.
Mark

Offline mickg

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 07:48:15 PM »
Mark,

Very nice, well done sir. Many thanks for taking the time to share the build, very useful info indeed.

Here's to the next one.....  ;)

Mick

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 08:11:39 PM »
Nicely done Mark!

It’s been very helpful for me!

Guy

Ps what’s next?
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2018, 08:15:32 PM »
Great work, Mark! Thank you for showing your "speed build". Looks really great.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »
I can only dream of building a kit as quick as you!
Well done, Mark. Another piece of treasure for the treasure trove  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2018, 12:17:27 AM »
Great finish Mark, and as others have stated an invaluable reference for my future Build. It's now stored in my Model Folders file ready to be consulted in future!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »
Great finish Mark, and as others have stated an invaluable reference for my future Build. It's now stored in my Model Folders file ready to be consulted in future!
Cheers,
Lance

Same here Mark! Beautiful and very informative build !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »
Nice job. Your build and particularly your cautionary tips, have assisted a lot of us with this kit. Thanks.

Cheers

Syd

Offline pappy

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »
thank you for the build log, well done. I was planning to purchase this kit, and planned to do it in sections, seeing your build pictures i am more than a little intimadated at the complexity of the kit. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that it is so detailed, but I hope I am skilled enough to do the kit justice.I have to  say I am in awe at how skilled the members of this foru are.Well done! :D

Offline mgunns

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2018, 01:32:12 PM »
Thanks everyone for checking in and your comments on the build and the build log. 
Pappy, it's a great kit, just takes a little extra dry fitting, care and patience in some of the areas.  Don't be intimidated by it, just go ahead and build it.  You will enjoy the build as it is a great kit.
Per Gisbod's "what's next?"  It's going to be a real "Barn Burner of a card" with the seldom built "Ships Camel" from HMS Lion in the CDL scheme.

After the "learning curve" of the USAS Camel, this should be a less challenging build.

Stay tuned for more modeling excitement as the fun meter pegs to the right of zero.
Mark