Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Dolphin  (Read 15743 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Dolphin
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
You are doing a great job so far Mark, I have started my kit but it will be a slow build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline davec

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »
Mark - beautiful work  - really appreciate all your build notes and details.

Dave

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about your mishap Mark, I think most of us can sympathize.  Again, thanks for your log.  She still looks good. 

Offline mgunns

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
Thanks Juan, Des and Dave:

I will be making some progress here in the near future and will post some pics.
Until that time.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 01:17:37 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on A 31. I could see myself missing this one! Looks as though you have recovered well!
RAGIII

PS: I will be following your lead on this one in the next couple of days. Started detaching major components yesterday!
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 01:06:44 PM »
Okay:

I hope everyone had a happy new year as we plunge headlong into 2018 and all the challenges and joys that the year holds for us.  The big news of course is the Wingnut Wings Mystery Model planned for a February release.  I wonder what it is?
Thanks RAGIII for checking in and posting your comments.  I see that you got one and will be starting yours soon.  So, no major "gotchas" since my last post.  I managed, with sanding and filing, to "fix" the engine hood.

It's not perfect, but it's better than it was and another reminder to pay attention!

I also experimented with some different type of preshading for the rudder.  I used the same technique as I use for the CDL Undersurfaces.  Not sure I like it.  I will leave it along, but it needs some tweaking.

The underside is preshaded and painted using a mix called out for the SARD Aircraft in the instructions.  It's darker, I presume because the aircraft was used in the nightfighter role.

Here on the upper surfaces you can see the rib highlights.  I was thinking of doing another pass, but I know how that can be too much, so I am leaving it alone.  I will be doing a final mist coat and it will tone it down a bit.  Otherwise I like it.

In the image below you can make out the rib detail on the fuselage spine and sides.  I wanted it to be a little more subtle, but will content myself with it rather than go over it "one more time" and loose it all.

The next phase will be decaling, rigging, getting it up on it's undercarriage and final assembly of the smaller details.
I will be posting in the completed model section when I get it wrapped it up.
Except for my missing the oil tank, it has been an enjoyable build with little to no fit problems.  A very enjoyable build.  I hope my log will be helpful when the modelers here that are building their's get to it.
Mark

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 01:49:39 PM »
    Between the engine compartment and the cockpit that's a lot of stuff in a very small space Mark! It's far busier then I thought. I like the subtle pre-shading, nicely done and I agree that any more would lose the effect. My Kit is "in the mail" and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it; your Build Log will help with it's transition from box to display cabinet very nicely! I'm looking forward to seeing this little beauty in the Completed Models section.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »
Agree with all these comments.  I'm using your build to keep out of issues with mine.  I really like you shading as well.  Subtle looks great from here!

Cheers,
Dan 

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »
An excellent build so far and with very fine building notes. Thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Borsos

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
That is actually a very informative build log with crucial information regarding points that need some extra attention. Thanks for that service and congrats on a very nicely looking model so far! It will be a high bar for all builders that follow when finished!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 12:16:34 AM »
Agree with all these comments.  I'm using your build to keep out of issues with mine.  I really like you shading as well.  Subtle looks great from here!

Cheers,
Dan

Me too  8) Beautiful shading and overall paintwork! I am looking forward to those photos in the Completed Models section.
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
Mark,
I m starting to paint the interior and have a question. For the Dark Battleship grey did you use the suggested mix or a substitute color? I was caught off guard on this one and only have the XF24 in stock  :o
RAGIII

Offline mgunns

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
Mark,
I m starting to paint the interior and have a question. For the Dark Battleship grey did you use the suggested mix or a substitute color? I was caught off guard on this one and only have the XF24 in stock  :o
RAGIII
Hi Rick:

Using the WNW instructions for the bird I am doing (Q) it calls for Humbrol 123.  The BSG light semi gloss they call for XF 82, Humbrol 106, which is a close match for Testors MM Gunship Grey.  I think the XF82 for BSG, according to the artwork, is too dark.  I have used Testors MM Dark Ghost Grey and it matches the artwork pretty close.  If lighted XF 24 a bit you would be prety close to XF82 as called out by the instructions.  To me, XF24 is about two shades darker than XF82 which still seems too dark for the BSG in the art work.  Hope this helps.
Mark

Online RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2018, 10:32:36 PM »
Mark,
RAGIII
Hi Rick:

Using the WNW instructions for the bird I am doing (Q) it calls for Humbrol 123.  The BSG light semi gloss they call for XF 82, Humbrol 106, which is a close match for Testors MM Gunship Grey.  I think the XF82 for BSG, according to the artwork, is too dark.  I have used Testors MM Dark Ghost Grey and it matches the artwork pretty close.  If lighted XF 24 a bit you would be prety close to XF82 as called out by the instructions.  To me, XF24 is about two shades darker than XF82 which still seems too dark for the BSG in the art work.  Hope this helps.

Thanks Mark it is very helpful and coincides with my thoughts on the darkness of the shade. I will lighten the XF24 and if I don't like it I may try mixing some Sea grey of which I have 2 versions by Poly Scale.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:04:11 AM by RAGIII »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 04:10:52 AM »
Beautiful work all 'round, Mark!  She's really coming together quickly yet every aspect is flawlessly rendered.  I love the night fighter scheme and I'm tempted to do it on mine.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence