Author Topic: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane AND 1:32 WNW Sopwith Triplane dual build  (Read 10571 times)

Offline Iancshippee

My next project will be one of my favorite WW1 aircraft, the Sopwith Triplane! I love it enough that I have 3 more 1:48 kits in waiting, a 1:32 WNW version, and a set of Replicraft plans to take on a full scale version at some point! Here are the box and sprue shots.

IMG_0444 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0445 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0446 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0447 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0448 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

For markings, I chose C.D. Booker's scheme (same one I plan to do full scale) using an Aeromaster set.

IMG_0449 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0450 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0451 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

I built an Eduard Triplane long ago as my second ww1 kit ever, and still have it. I believe I was 11 or 12 when I built it. It's had a fair share of spills and thrills, but I still was impressed at how it went together. I'll do a separate thread at some point on that kit and its misadventures. One question I have before I set forth, however: I know Booker's tripe was Sopwith-built, but I have not found anything definitive about whether it had the early or late tailplane. Does anyone here know? My plan is to use the late-style if nothing definitive comes about, as it's been published that early ones were retrofitted in the field with the later design. Time to get to work!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:00:59 AM by Iancshippee »

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
I can't answer your question, Ian, but sense that your judgement is right.

Good luck with this build, The Sopwith Triplane is one of my favourite aircraft. If I rmember rightly from my own experience a few years back, the key to this kit lies in getting the struts which are embedded in the fuselage accurately in place.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:12:19 AM »
Slowly picking away at my triplane, nothing too exciting yet, but I am doing an engine upgrade. anyone that's done one of these early Eduard kits knows their rotaries are a little lacking in the detail department.

IMG_0531 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0530 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

fortunately, I have in the stash the Eduard Camel double combo set, and at least one of those two is getting re-engined when the time comes. seeing as this is a really good moulding, I pirated the Clerget form one of these sets to use in the triplane. It assembled better than I was hoping, not perfect by any means but much better than I was capable of when I first started WW1 modeling.

IMG_0528 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0529 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

I still need to glue down the spark plug leads, but I think it's presentable.  more updates as they come.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 06:27:11 AM »
Super work on the engine upgrade! I am looking forward to your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
Thank you Rick! I have about 85% of my initial painting finished, about to start on the cockpit. It's thought to get time to work on the tripehound at the moment, as I'm a teacher and school is starting up again, but I steal away to the workstation when I can!

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 11:39:33 PM »
Nice start, I'm interested to see how this builds up in a larger scale.

Ian

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:36 PM »
Good start, Ian. The replacement engine quite looks the part, much better than the early Eduard offering. I'll be following this thread with interest. Good Luck!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Iancshippee

Re: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane AND 1:32 WNW Sopwith Triplane DUAL Build!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »
It's been a while since I could sit and update my thread, and though there hasn't been a huge amount of progress, there has been plenty going on behind the scenes!

First, a word about Eduard's customer service. While I was building my Hanriot HD.1, the resin headrest was missing. I contacted Eduard, and they sent me 3 extra resin trees at no charge, and they included the seat cushion and headrest. Now I had several spares, so I decided my triplane deserves one! with a little bit of sanding, the cushion fits right in.

IMG_0548 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0549 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0671 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Next, I decided to begin working on the cockpit, and try rigging it after having some success with my Fokker D.VIII. Since the Eduard instructions don't include cockpit rigging, I pulled out my WNW instructions. with some 6 lb test monofilament fishing line, I'm getting relatively convincing cables!

IMG_0674 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0673 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0675 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Now I had intended on waiting to build my WNW triplane as my first Wingnuts kit, but I wanted to find a set of Pheon decals for it, specifically the Booker markings as that is my favorite triplane garb. I posted in the for sale-trade-swap section hoping for the best, and lo and behold the incredibly generous Gary AKA Trackpad stumbled across my post and has sent that set and a few others my way! Now I must keep my fingers crossed and my eyes peeled for WNW to do a multi-kit release like they did with the Albatros! Anyways, since I already had the kit off the shelf to use the rigging diagram, I figured I may as well start it and build a set of twins! I've started work on the engine, and I like the size comparison between the two scales.

IMG_0682 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr 

Thanks again to Trackpad for inspiring me to expand this build, and I will be sharing when the decals arrive!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
Looking good, Ian. I'll be following this thread with interest. Good luck as you work with "the Twins!"  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:35:28 PM »
Outstanding work on updating the cockpit of the Eduard kit. I am looking forward to the "Dual" build also!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »
Brief update today. I have finished the WNW Clerget sans the spark plug wires, which I'll wait for until I'm ready to mount the engine in an effort not to lose them. I also assembled the instrument panel for the Eduard Triplane, and will be tackling the wnw Triplane cockpit next. Also, happily I received a very well-packaged and protected set of selected Sopwith Triplane decals by Pheon from Gary aka Trackpad! I have not uploaded any pictures of the latest adventures as of yet, but I shall soon! Many thanks to Gary for his generosity. Pictures following soon!

Offline Iancshippee

Re: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane AND 1:32 WNW Sopwith Triplane dual Build
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
Finally uploading some pictures! I wish I had a bit more progress to show, but the weather for the past 3-day weekend resulted in a wash for model building. 97-98% humidity every day, so uncomfortable and unproductive was the name of the game. Anyways, first the generosity of Trackpad!

IMG_0769 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

During the unproductive streak, I did stumble upon coyotemagic's thread on his Tripehound dual build, which took nearly the exact same course as mine is! I can only hope that mine comes close to as nice as his pairing. I've had a few frustrations, but things are mostly coming together nicely. first frustration was the Eduard instrument panel. I had the film and the PE panel nicely lined up, but the PE shifted ever so slightly as the glue dried and the instruments ended up off-center in their bezels.

IMG_0716 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

After that, the cockpit came together nicely. I've begun working on the WNW cockpit as well, but I have not made a lot of progress yet. I do have a side-by-side of the two for comparison.

IMG_0721 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0761 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0763 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0768 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

I hope to have more to show soon! the humidity is supposed to break tomorrow, so hopefully this week/weekend will prove to be productive.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane AND 1:32 WNW Sopwith Triplane dual build
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »
Impressive to see these two tripes being built side by side.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 06:47:23 AM »
I love the scale comparison of your build and both interiors are looking really fine. I am keen on seeing which kit you like more  ;)
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »
Thanks! It is fun seeing them side by side and going together at the same time. I do really like this WNW kit, but I have already built one of the Eduard Tripes some 20-something years ago, and fell in love with it then. I still have it, it's been rebuilt at least 4 times now thanks to moving, curious children, and my own clumsiness. I'll post some pictures of that wonderful but unfortunate bird here shortly with some tales of its adventures too.