Author Topic: Das 1/16 Fokker Dr.1 Dreidecker  (Read 2680 times)

Offline RickyGene

Das 1/16 Fokker Dr.1 Dreidecker
« on: February 09, 2019, 04:58:09 AM »
I have chosen for my 1st thread on this most wonderful Forum the famous WW1 German fighter, Fokker Dr.1 Tri-wing.  This is the iconic fighter in which Manfred von Richtofen gained his last 19 victories, and in which he was killed on 21 April 1918.
I enjoy working with the 1/16 scale.  At present there are two kits offered in this scale.  Model Airways and Artesania Latina.  I already have severial Model Airways 1/16th kits and I have also built numerous AL ships kits.  So that is the mfg. I went with AL,  I like the fact of how PE is used for more of the assembly than the Model Airways kit.  At present is the clean up and prep of the metal frame of the aircraft.  Slow going, but taking one's time results in a accurate assembly.  Now I must figure out how to post photos.

Rick :o

Offline RickyGene

Re: Das 1/16 Fokker Dr.1 Dreidecker
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:06:09 AM »
Kit contents.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »
Looking forward on seeing this one come together  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:53:45 PM »
I love the DR1 and am looking forward to your build. It sounds as though you have a lot of experience building this kind of kit so I am sure your build will be fantastic to watch .
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:12:39 AM »
A wonderful project! I will follow with attention!

Regards,
Marc

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 03:59:27 AM »
This should be interesting - and somewhat large and therefore very detailed. I will be following with interest.

Stephen.

Offline RickyGene

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 05:26:19 AM »
Here is a teaser of the detail.  I did however order 16th Turnbuckles from Gas Patch.  You get flat unrealistic brass PE types with the kit.  The Gas Patch ones are very detailed.  I also replaced the MG's w/Gas Patch as well.  But pretty much plain to use what comes in the kit.  Oh, the kit MG's will replace the poor reps in Model Airways Albatross, the ones in this kit are just blobs of metal.

Offline RickyGene

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
Gas Patch, love these accessories.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:31:15 AM by RickyGene »

Offline RickyGene

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
Oh, should hopefully post some build photos soon, I am still cleaning the mold lines from the fuselage parts :o.  I am taking great pains with this, anyone who has built 1/43 scale F1 will know just how much work this is.  I have a Mag Tumbler, but these parts are too large for the drum.  So all is hand done.  Then there is a couple corrections/additions to add.  I have only found a few build/reveiws on the WEB for this kit and those builds used thin CA for assembly.  I admit I am old school and prefer to use Epoxy.  Now that means the parts have to be squeaky clean for the epoxy to grab and set up a true bond of the parts.  Anyone who has built a AL ship that includes their famous pain the bum metal parts, which is not white metal nor lead base, but some really hard too work metal.

Rick 8)

Offline RUREDI

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:00:05 PM »
Going to pull this one out of the stash and follow along.  Keep those pictures coming.  You have my full attention!
Rick

"I do not feel that I am fighting for France alone, but for the cause of all humanity, the greatest of all causes...I pay my debt for Lafayette and Rochambeau."  Kiffin Rockwell, Lafayette Escadrille

Online RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
I am really looking forward to this one. The parts from Gas Patch look awesome and will surely lend a great deal of realism to the build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 09:49:25 AM »
I too am looking forward to your progress, the added details should be a welcome addition to detail.

Offline RickyGene

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »
The kit is a very detailed and well thought out.  The items I have bought are better detailed, but really not a must.  A really nice set of MG's come w/but the detail of the Gas Patch guns are cleaner and it will be just one less area to clean and prep metal.  The turnbuckles can be used and will be in tight areas, but the replacements are not just flat PE.  The only other area I wish I could redo would be the engine.  It will take plenty of extra work to bring up to the standard I want.  But if ShapeWays or Gas Patch made a replacement, that would give one a much easier item to work with.  But please, I am not saying any of these parts I have replaced is absolutely required.  The kit is very detailed as it comes, just my affliction for perfection ???
Rick 8)

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
Looks great, waiting for next steps.
Ciao
Giuseppe