Author Topic: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane AND 1:32 WNW Sopwith Triplane dual build  (Read 10570 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane AND 1:32 WNW Sopwith Triplane dual build
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
I am enjoying seeing them bith come together. The Eduard interior is really looking sharp! I am looking forward to seeing the WNW in the same stage!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 12:21:25 AM »
Thank you Rick! I feel I need to get it there ASAP, before something falls and snaps my control stick!

Here's some pictures of my first Eduard Triplane. I was somewhere between 12 and 14 when I built this, and didn't know a whole lot about color schemes back then. it was also my very first kit with PE. Some of the pushrods are a bit mangled, but it came out fairly good in my opinion. funny note- at the time, I painted all of my wheels all black because I couldn't paint steady enough to just get paint on the tire part. I've made some marginal improvement since then. These first pictures were taken when I brought the kit from my parents' house to mine, and en route a wheel broke off. it repaired easily, and it appeared unscathed.

IMG_1084 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_1082 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_1086 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Shortly after these pictures were taken, my then 3-year-old daughter decided to investigate my model shelf, and knocked it onto the floor. She was devastated, but I told her not to worry because I wanted to repaint it anyways and now I had an excuse to! The upper and one middle wing came off, but there was no other damage. I decided to go all CDL and do the Prototype, and I was happy with the results. I even got the wings aligned better that originally. Alas, when I was taking it off the shelf to photograph, I dropped it. by some miracle only the middle wings came off this time, but upon the next rebuild no coaxing or clamping or bracing would align them to where they belonged. I gave up before breaking it any further, and now it sits semi-proudly on the shelf.

IMG_0176 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

I'll be sure these two are well cared for once they are complete!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 06:01:47 PM »
Your Old Girl Looks nice. It is good that you have kept it and repaired. I usually end up sending mine to the scrap yard so I have very few models from years ago.
RAGIII

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »
It has been quite a while since I've had something worth posting here! I have been plugging away at both kits, but all the progress has been so small and minor it did not merit posting. I now have bot cockpit modules finished, and at a point where there is a tangible result! That, and I can finally turn pages in the instruction books!

This build is the very first time I have ever used monofilament line for rigging. Though I find it challenging, it has not been as scary as I was expecting and the outcome has mostly been what I was hoping for. I've only had a few stubborn lines that would not sit the way I wanted and 2 that came loose, and the I'm not dreading repairing them, so I guess that means I'm learning!

IMG_0837 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0847 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0848 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

All that remains to rig the WNW cockpit is the cross cables in the back, the trim wheel cables, and to re-attach the lines that came loose.

When put side by side, it is impressive to see the difference in the level of detail the two kits provide, and the size difference.

IMG_0849 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0850 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Also finished are the engines, with the exception of spark plug leads for the WNW kit. Not sure what to use, I feel like my line is too thick. black dog hair is plentiful in my house... :-\

IMG_0851 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Also test fit the engine in the eduard kit to check for free rotation and clearance in the cowling (this is an engine borrowed from the eduard camel kit, so I wanted to make sure) and it was good on both accounts.

IMG_0853 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0854 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Happy to be ready to move on to the next step! I'm glad the WNW kit comes with so many side panel variations, it'll give me plenty of opportunity to practice the spun aluminum look!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
Excellent progress on both interiors! I had forgotten how many control wires were involved in the Triplane! Your engine work is looking great!
RAGIII

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 11:48:18 AM »
Thank you Rick! I have the 1:48 fuselage buttoned up now, almost ready to do the same with the 1:32. just need cables for the trim wheel, then I can close that one up too.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 08:32:47 AM »
Things are progressing nicely with the twins! I have successfully closed up both the fuselages, added the guns, and added their fuselage markings. the WNW bird took a fair bit of paint scraping, but finally i did get the sides where i wanted them.

IMG_0909 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0910 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0911 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0912 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

For the guns, i first coated them with testors flat black enamel, then put a very thin coat of testors metallic graphite. their gunmetal color has too much of a blue hue for my taste.

IMG_0918 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0917 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

The decals are Aeromaster for the Eduard kit, and Pheon for the WNW. (Thank you again Gary!) Very happy with both sets! The Wingnut triplane will get roundels and rudder stripes from the kit decal sheet. Though these girls don't hold a candle to mgunns and coyotemagic's Maud examples, I still like them a great deal!

IMG_0916 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0915 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Next tasks are tail feathers and lower wing in 1:32 and struts, wings, and PE brackets in 1:48. Until next time!

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »
I just noticed how blurry the last 4 pictures are, i was very puzzled until I remembered i had my 1-year-old son in my arms while taking them! I'll remember to have empty arms next time!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »
You are really moving along now. With a one year old Modeling time must be difficult to find!
RAGIII

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 12:46:34 AM »
Considering you have a 1 year old son, Ian, you're making excellent progress.  The decal placement looks fantastic.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 12:59:48 AM »
Agree with my 2 Amigos directly above !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »
Thank you gentlemen! It is challenging fitting in time to work on any modeling project when he’s awake, but his big sister (5 years old) really likes my models and loves to watch! It has been a slower build for me than usual as I want to get my first Wingnuts kit right, but I have “resolved” to complete them before New Years. Hopefully I’ll have some photographic proof of that soon. Along those lines, I’ve noticed that my WNW kit decals, though beautiful, don’t adhere very strongly; particularly the rudder blazes. Does anyone have any tricks to getting them to settle down securely? I’m worrying about when it comes time to do the roundels on the wings. Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline Iancshippee

Re: 1:48 Eduard Sopwith Triplane & 1:32 WNW Sopwith Triplane dual build
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 01:41:36 AM »
Happy New Year, Everyone!

Almost there! I came so close to keeping my resolution! While it still needs touch-up painting, a few more decals, and rigging, I did manage to structurally finish one of the two triplanes! My first WNW build is nearly finished! here's a few pictures from yesterday and today. Now I plan to get the Eduard tripe to the same point, and then rig them both at the same time. Enjoy the pictures!

IMG_0990 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0991 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0992 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

And now, on her feet:

IMG_0998 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0999 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_1001 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0997 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

soon she'll have her little sister there with her!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »
Hi Ian:

I am just now catching up on your builds.  Both are coming along nicely.    Yes, the PHEON decals went on my build perfectly and it was a fun albeit challenging build with the resin fuselage.  If you are having difficulty with the decals setting try using Solvaset.  I know a lot of people warn against it, but it's a milder solution than earlier releases and with careful application makes the decals set right up.  Also the old hair drier method works too.  I have used both with good affect.  Now the fun part.........RIGGING!. ;)
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 03:55:49 AM »
Thank you Mark for the kind words and helpful hints! My roundels behaved far better than the rudder blazes, they all sat right down where they belonged, even in the aileron gaps. as misfortune would have it, my son broke the rudder off. while changing a diaper, I glanced up at it on my workbench, and thought I saw something amiss. I was wrong, but while I was inspecting it, my son walked over and headbutted the tail, snapping the rudder off cleanly and shattering the decals on both sides. I've never seen that happen before! There was no other damage; I can't believe the control horns survived but I am grateful they did! I have a spare set of rudder blazes in my pup kit, so I will try again with those, and if they are reluctant to lay down, I'll try the hair dryer trick first and the solvent if needed. thanks again, and by the way, excellent work on your dolphin!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:04:03 AM by Iancshippee »