Author Topic: Dual Build: Roden 1/32nd Albatros DIII (OAW): Jasta 10, WNW ALbatrosDV: Jasta11  (Read 90631 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Great work, Rick. The Wood looks great as the whole plane does. Thank you for showing.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

Good recovery Rick on those stripes.  I like the wood affect you have achieved  on this model.  As mentioned and to belabor the point, but Roden kits build into decent models and their DIII is the only game in town.  You are doing an outstanding job on this and I look forward to following along as you progress.

Thanks Mark, greatly appreciated.
RAGIII

Good recovery Rick on those stripes.  I like the wood affect you have achieved  on this model.  As mentioned and to belabor the point, but Roden kits build into decent models and their DIII is the only game in town.  You are doing an outstanding job on this and I look forward to following along as you progress.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Mark has said here, you are doing a superb job Rick.

Des.

Thanks Des. Always appreciate you looking in!
RAGIII

Great work, Rick. The Wood looks great as the whole plane does. Thank you for showing.
Bye,
Manni

Thanks for continuing to follow my builds Manni!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

I have chosen a scheme for the Jasta 11 DV based on the artwork of Robert N. Pearson. The profile posted here is done with the Permission of Bob Pearson and is his copyright. Please do not repost.
RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:52:20 AM by RAGIII »

Offline dr 1 ace

Nice Choice !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Iancshippee

your D.III is looking excellent! someday I will get brave and try some of these techniques you masters use!

Offline lone modeller

Sorry Rick but I have been busy lately and missed progress. The wood effect looks very good indeed - I am waiting patiently for the "better" photos!

I still cannot get over how you and others can build two (or more) models simultaneously - I have enough problems remembering what to do next with one!

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

Nice Choice !!!

Ed

Thanks Amigo. This "May be the aircraft of Wilhelm Reinhard" The colors of course are conjectural but I like them  ;D
RAGIII

your D.III is looking excellent! someday I will get brave and try some of these techniques you masters use!

Thanks for the comment Ian. I am not a master by any means. The wood is simply raw sienna oils brushed over an acrylic tan base. Remove all of the pigment with a wide brush leaving just the impression of light and dark.  ;)
RAGIII

Sorry Rick but I have been busy lately and missed progress. The wood effect looks very good indeed - I am waiting patiently for the "better" photos!

I still cannot get over how you and others can build two (or more) models simultaneously - I have enough problems remembering what to do next with one!

Stephen.

I appreciate you dropping in and catching up. Thanks for commenting. As for more than one at once I really go back and forth so not two, three or four all being worked on.  ::)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:32:01 AM by RAGIII »

Offline jeroen_R90S

That's going to make a great looking pair!

Offline RAGIII

That's going to make a great looking pair!

Thanks, Together with my other Albatri it will be a colorful lineup! Here are the promised photos. I have added rib tapes to the wings and tail prior to applying the colors. Hopefully this will give just enough rib tape detail. I have also begun to paint a few details on the fuselage.
RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 05:53:06 AM by RAGIII »

Offline ondra

Great progress so far, Rick, well done!

What material did you use for the rib tapes? Nice work on those in terms of accuracy and alignment.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline RAGIII

Great progress so far, Rick, well done!

What material did you use for the rib tapes? Nice work on those in terms of accuracy and alignment.

Cheers

Ondra

Thanks Ondra. the tapes came with the WNW Albatros or Fokker DVII. I am hoping they are just thick enough to make an impression.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:18:34 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Borsos

Great Albatros and the blue rib tapes are a great idea. I think they are dark enough for even shining through the camouflage colors which would even increase its impact on the overall appearance.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

Great Albatros and the blue rib tapes are a great idea. I think they are dark enough for even shining through the camouflage colors which would even increase its impact on the overall appearance.
Best regards
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. Hopefully if the rib tapes do not show as a raised tape the blue will be just evident enough under the colors  8)
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

Keep the paint as thin as possible and the stripes should show thru Amigo.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline RAGIII

Keep the paint as thin as possible and the stripes should show thru Amigo.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I hope to do just that! Something I keep forgetting to mention is the fairings blending in the fuselage and wing. Roden gives the rear fairing common with their DI kit. I saw no evidence that the fairings should be any different than a standard DIII/ shorter fairing. The funny thing is the original DIII fairing was included in the DI kit so I used that on my model.
RAGIII