Author Topic: Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane Experimental, Eduard 1:48  (Read 17020 times)

Bughunter

Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane Experimental, Eduard 1:48
« on: July 01, 2017, 06:15:41 AM »
Hello,
today I like to start here my first build report. Hm, let's see, if my english is good enough ::)

Some time ago I showed here my first model I build this year: a Pfalz D.IIIa
It was made from a Eduard Dual Combo 8047, but what about the second one?

Source: scalemates.com

There exists a prototyp of a triplane, made from a D.IIIa. That is the only picture I know:

Source: pinimg.com
and photobucket.com:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/SPA124BRUNO/PFALZDIIIconversion.jpg

Does anyboby know more about this aircraft? There is a short text about it in my Kagero Pfalz book, but only the same picture.

From Spin model I found a Resin conversion set:

So, let's start!

Propulsor airscrew

The "Propulsor"-airscrew was made by "Deutschen Luftschrauben Gesellschaft mbH" in Berlin.
I found additional information and pictures in Windsock Datafiles for D.III and D.IIIa (107 and 21).
I decided for pear-pear-boxwood-pear-boxwood-pear-pear, resulting in seven layers.

This time it was hard to reach the flow of the original wood layers.

The center looks a bit strange, because it has to fit below the Eduard hub cowling.

Very comparable to the airscrew of the kit, my wooden one is below:

After wood primer painted  Gunze Clear Yellow with a bit Clear Orange. The upper one is a Heine, which I have painted in parallel for a later project. Picture taken in day light.

The resin parts need some special care. The wingspan have to be reduced on both plastic wings. I cutted out the ailerons, that's the only Pfalz D.III(a) with ailerons on lower wing!

Hope you will like it! Any info about this triplane would be nice.

Cheers,
Frank

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
Re: Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane Experimental, Eduard 1:48
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 06:39:43 AM »
will be following this with great intresest, I have the conversion kit in my stash for many moons.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »
Hi Frank, looks like an interesting project.  You seem to have a great start with the propeller and conversion.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »
will be following this with great intresest, I have the conversion kit in my stash for many moons.
Same here, Frank!  I will use yours as a tutorial when I build mine which, thanks to you, will now be sooner than later.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alpha Delta 210

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
Great start. Your props look wonderful.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »
This is a very interesting project and one that I will be following closely, the props look excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Although it's a shame to spoil that elegant machine with a 3rd pair of wings  ;)  this is a fascinating project and looks as perfectly as your other projects do. I am keen on seeing it finished!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »
Hello Frank
I am another one that has the 'Spin Model' Triplane conversion but I have not got round to doing it. The Eduard Pfalz D.IIIa is an excellent kit. I will be following this one.
Good luck.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »
Frank,
     Regarding your request for more information on the Triplane conversion there is some brief coverage of the type in the Aeronaut books "Pfalz Aircraft of WWI" by Jack Herris. Although limited to brief comments on it's (disappointing) performance there are three photos including the one you have here and a full front and 90 degree side shot as well. Even if Photobucket would allow me to forward the two I believe it might violate a copy right Law or two........
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 01:29:02 AM »
Wow, what a great interest! Thank you very much!

I will use yours as a tutorial when I build mine which, thanks to you, will now be sooner than later.
Bud, this will put some pressure into the project to finish it successfully. I hope there will be no big problems!

Although it's a shame to spoil that elegant machine with a 3rd pair of wings  ;)
Ok, that's a strong argument! So I build my red one as biplane at first! And additionally, I have also a Eduard limited Dual of the D.III (without "a"), which contain a different fuselage and other parts. Not often seen kit, and a D.XII from Special Hobby too. So more elegant biplanes than triplanes  ;)

The Eduard Pfalz D.IIIa is an excellent kit.
That is definitely true, and that's why I was able to finish my red/green/alu D.IIIa in exactly one month (see link above). Not overengineered, not too many parts, just a cool kit.

The next update soon ...

Thanks again!
Cheers
Frank

Offline jamieg

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 01:33:38 AM »
Frank;

You are the king of beautiful propellers. Long live the king!

Online lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 04:01:25 AM »
Wholly agree with the last comment! This is an interesting project - I did not know that such a type was built (but am not surprised). I can see another first class model in the making here so will be following along.

Stephen.

Bughunter

Pfalz D.IIIa Triplane Experimental, Eduard 1:48 Update 1.7.2017 Cockpit
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 04:07:02 AM »
You are the king of beautiful propellers. Long live the king!
You made my day! If I live longer, I can build more propellers and biplanes :)

Cockpit and engine

At first I like to note, that I added some PE parts from a additional Eduard set, in case someone wonders.

For the cockpit I started to build the fabric seat belts, here I used a set from Eduard/HGW:

The quality is fantastic - after removing the backing paper you can see the stitching against light!

Warning: you should be very relaxed before trying to do this!
After some time with glueing (instant glue) and run in here is the result. The lenght could still be adjusted, like the real one.

Then I have done the engine. The top was painted with Alclad White Alu ans then I protected the heads with liquid mask.

The inlet was not so nice, so I hided it by a wrapping, as on original picture.

The exhaust was modified with a hole and painted with different Alclads.

Most of the engine is hidden anyway, so that is enough. So lets continue with the cockpit .

The backplate have to modified a bit, otherwise the fuselage cannot be closed.

The instrument board was painted with acrylic paints. Usually I use oils, but I wanted to save the drying time.

The floor is painted with acrylics too, I wanted to have it dark, greyish brown. Like the known color picture from the Pfalz D.XII.

So the last picture before the fuselage was closed: all seatbelts mounted, control wires added and a PE part for the floor behind the seat added as last part.

Really pitty, that the most of the work will be hidden :(

Cheers,
Frank

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »
Very Nice interior work! Like you say it is a shame that most will not be seen once assembled. However we do know what is there!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
Beautiful work on the interior, and those props are beautiful! I really think it would be easier to carve my own like you and others do than keep trying to replicate this finish with paint.
Zac in NZ