Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43888 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Guy! I'm a little unsure of my results on this one, and when you see the forthcoming photos of the wing streaking you'll probably understand why! :-[ :o
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2017, 12:13:03 AM »
   After considerable thought and review of a great deal of commentary and speculation concerning the finish on E.V / D.VIII wings and yet more staring at Reference photos my mind is made up; I agree with Bughunter's (Frank) interpretation, green and purple uppers and light blue lowers as used on many previous German aircraft of the period.
   Here's my results; After spraying the upper surface with a Tamiya "wood base" equal parts mix of White, Desert Yellow, and Deck Tan the streaking is (all enamels) Humbrol (a concocted purple using  a mix of their #68 and an at least 25 year old tin of their HG 9 "German Purple (about 60/40 respectively) and Model Master Dark Green # 1710. I am really unsure of the results here, I know it was roughly applied but is this example too "sloppy"?? I am very open to comments, opinions, and recommendations on this.
   First, the cowling which is finally painted and ready to install: (C/W newer thumb prints on the future coat over the lozenge :( :-\ )

........... and here's several shots of the wing upper finish:

Hoping for some constructive  feedback, I am not adverse to doing a paint removal/clean up and going back to the drawing board however the colour choice is not negotiable!
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:39:22 AM by lcarroll »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2017, 12:14:32 AM »
Lance,
 I am sure you will get a better result than most in spite of your doubts! As an aside, I just got my invoice from Pheon so I should get back to my EV in a week or so. I plan on taking full advantage of the jigs provided with the decals!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2017, 12:35:07 AM »
Rick,
    Great news from Pheon; I just sent payment as well! At my present rate of progress the decals should arrive just in time, even if I go back to "square one" on the wing finish.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2017, 12:54:20 AM »
Rick,
    Great news from Pheon; I just sent payment as well! At my present rate of progress the decals should arrive just in time, even if I go back to "square one" on the wing finish.
Cheers,
Lance

By the way I think you were posting the wing photos as I posted my previous reply  ::) I think your wing looks fine. I am still not sure about the combination of colors but that is your call and is pretty much open to any opinion as we discussed. I will repeat my only doubt as I said earlier. The amount for the 4 stains listed was "Just Enough" to cover the wings when used on the exterior so I wonder how an unmixed lower blue and an interior brown was used. That being said we still do not know for sure the wing wasn't green  :o In the end I like your results!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
I agree with Bughunter's (Frank) interpretation, green and purple uppers and light blue lowers as used on many previous German aircraft of the period.
Oh Lance, thank you!
I think last time I forgot to mention one other fact. There are four colors on the famous Fokkers parts list, but the brown was mentioned on a different place, I was told. So that is another fact which points to a usage of the brown stain inside the wing to improve the water resistance.

Back to you model:
I think, that your green streaking is a bit better, more vital, alive. But this may depend also by light and pictures. I'm sure it will look great in real, you are able to manage this issue.

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:17 AM »
Thanks Frank, I've since gone back to work more on the streaking and removed some of the heavier areas. It's toned it down a lot and given the wing a slightly lighter coloured appearance. I'll try some photos in natural light today and post them as a further update.
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2017, 07:01:40 AM »
   Here's the photos of the reworked streaking, I'm much happier with it now.

I also added the stacking bumps to the leading edge.

Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:18:47 AM by lcarroll »

Offline xmald

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2017, 07:06:20 AM »
The corrected version of the streaking is even better Lance. I think you`ve achieved a very convincing result, also similar to what I remember from DSA`s samples presented at the Aerodrome. Good job!
The decals are simply beautiful Lance. I would give the cowling (you probably will) a shinier look though.
The E.V is still one of my all time favourites!
Best regards
Filip

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »
   Thanks Filip, I was fooling around with Imgur when you posted, still have a way to go to get comfortable with it's nuances! I will be doing the cowling in a much shinier semi gloss finish once installed.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2017, 03:35:29 AM »
I'm much happier with it now.
Yes, you can, Lance!

Cheers,
Frank

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2017, 03:41:09 AM »
Looking great Lance    :D

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2017, 03:50:52 AM »
Frank, Juan,
    Thanks for looking and for your comments. Now for the lower surface blue and a coat or two of Future for decals. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »
Nice job Lance! I don't know much about Razor wings but yours looks pretty darned good. I'm intrigued by your Wood Base mix too - will have to try that sometime.
Zac in NZ

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2017, 07:25:31 AM »
Coming along splendidly Lance, the wing turned out looking excellent, really nice colours and very nice streaking.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com