Author Topic: 1/32 WNW Gotha G Vb  (Read 12650 times)

Offline zavod44

1/32 WNW Gotha G Vb
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
After I finished my Gotha G IV http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=4859.0 , I started looking into the possibility of converting another into a G V.  I was still concerned if it would be possible to make the conversion and then I made contact with Ron Kootjie as he had done a G V build.  He told me he had a few sets to sell and at that point the build was on.  So I took Ron's conversion but i wanted to take it to the next level.  I decided to add the box tail, add the Sossfargestell and the redesign the nose and convert it to the G Vb. 

So here's what I have to start the project. Obviously the WNW kit, the The Kootije set, lots of various HGW and Van de Rosten sets....who knows what will all be used
by the time this is all done...

First order was to see if I could do the box tail?  What I did was scan the plans from the Gotha! book, and enlarged them to 1/32 scale.  Then I traced the plans for the box tail.  Once I traced them I scaled them to the proper size and I cut them out of Acrylic on the laser.  I then sanded a taper on the edges.  Once I got the shapes the way I wanted, I needed to figure out how to to put on rib tapes that match the kit tapes.  I tried to order the tapes from the different places like HGW but I wasn't thrilled.  So I went back to Illustrator and I drew up some rib tapes.  At work we have a tool called a digital printer.  What I can do is print on hard surfaces and I can print different ink and adjust the thickness a little bit.  So I printed the rib tapes and I thought they matched the kit pretty well.  The rear top of the fuselage needs some modification.  I taped the parts together to test the fit.  I also taped it to a board to hold everything in place for testing........

Then I turned to the cockpit.  Ron Kootije included the bulge on the port side but honestly I didn't like the part.  I thought it was not the correct shape
and I have pictures to show the correct look.  So I cut the hole in the side and added the bulge. I'll need to patch in all the surrounding pieces to make it fit together. 

The other element of the G Vb is the nose. It it shorter and it has a steeper angle.  We drew up the nose in Rhino and I had a 3D part printed.  I cut the nose off and I taped the new nose in place for test fitting.  The gun ring mount is totally different as well.  I laser cut rings to stack up to make the gun ring.  I have also begun work on the new dash board. 

Long way to go, but it's a start.....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:09:29 AM by zavod44 »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: 1/32 WNW Gotha G Vb
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
very cool, watching with great interest

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:56:59 AM »
   What a great project! I really enjoy adding to and modifying a Kit and this approach is interesting to say the very least. After Market additions, 3D Printing, and scratch Building all combined to produce a true "one of a kind" Model. This offers a lot of excitement and pleasure to follow! As has been said here before, I'm comfortably seated, popcorn and cold one in hand, and looking forward to the show! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:45:26 AM »
As one who enjoys conversions and scratch builds this is most interesting. This scale is too big for me for a number of reasons but I am still going to follow with great interest as there are many good ideas her - and plenty more to come I'll bet.

Stephen.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:54:51 AM »
Intrigued... Your combination of after-market parts, scratch building and 3-D printing is a most interesting approach to creating the model you want. I consider myself more of an assembler. I do a bit of scratch work, on a minor scale when necessary, and I, like many others, enjoy being more creative with painting, weathering and similar effects. I am fascinated and appreciate learning from projects like this one.

I suspect you have access to certain CAD and printing tools at work? It seems to me that, given Moore's Law, at some near future point one might be able to incorporate CAD, "dense" printing and 3-D printing on a small scale into our modelers' tools inventory. Surely, that will move scale modeling to a new place.

Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your build of this interesting model.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:44 AM »
Like the others I am looking forward to seeing all of your scratch and aftermarket parts come together. Excellent start on the tail and nose sections!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jamieg

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 04:15:02 AM »
Great project. I will be watching with interest.

Jamie

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:40:38 AM »
I will be following with great interest :)
Think globally, act locally!

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 05:13:03 AM »
What a neat conversion project.  Will be watching your progress with interest.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:46 AM »
oh - this looks fantastic - great start with those tail surfaces and front fuselage modifications! Really like the GV - sorta surprised WNW hasnt gone and done one yet...
-Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 06:27:40 AM »
What a great project you have taken on and the modifications you have already done are excellent, as I enjoy scratch building I will be following your build with great interest.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline zavod44

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
So The G V moved the fuel tanks to the fuselage where the ammo racks and the port side internal bomb racks are located.  So I walled off this area with styrene.  I will add some kind panel line so it looks like an access hatch, and add some rivets.  There are no pics that I have found to show this area so it will have to be fantasy.  Some of the G V's had the whole section filled in, but some don't.  I'm opting to do the version that is not closed off.

So here is the area I'm talking about.  The other thing I need to figure out is what color to paint this piece.  I'm thinking it would be metal so maybe a wood surround and a metal door?  An all metal wall?  All wood?

Any thoughts? 

Offline petrov27

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »
No idea if accurate or not, but below is a build of the 1/72 Roden GV and where they went with those fuselage fuel tank(s) (scroll to bottom of page for interior pics)

http://pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=69911&sid=92b37228596d61da6fef3a34204cbe26

-Patrick

Offline zavod44

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
Oh I like this, I'm gonna do this and add some details.  These need some kind of filler valves, and some kind of gauges?  Thank you sir....

Offline petrov27

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
No problem - not sure if it adds anything but AZ Model appears to have went the same way with those tanks in their 1/48 kit from looking at the instructions:

http://www.findmodelkit.com/sites/default/files/az4860_5.jpg

-Patrick