Author Topic: 1/32 WNW Gotha G Vb  (Read 12657 times)

Offline zavod44

Re: 1/32 WNW Gotha G Vb
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 12:54:24 PM »
There's got to be a place to fill these?  No?

Offline petrov27

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
Sure - have to be...

I think that is a Gotha GV midway down the page here in this review of AVIATTIC's fuel cart - maybe a cap on the top(s) of the tank(s)?

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1602

Interested to see if The Red Baron finds that pic of the tanks though....
-Patrick

Offline zavod44

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
I do find it strange that the tanks are not rectangle, and I'm surprised they are not covered by a wall...If they were rectangle they would hold more fuel....

Offline zavod44

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »
But they all don't have it?  You don't think thats an Aux tank sitting on the top of the fuse, above the internals?

Offline FarEast

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
You might want to do a bit more research - it really does look like the tanks from the wings were just stacked on top of each other in the fuselage area, thus why the bulged out of the top.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »
Great progress! I love the tailplane, great.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »
Very impressive...

I wouldn't have the nerve (or ability) to take that on.

Good luck

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline petrov27

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 06:41:45 AM »
Forgot I had that Gotha! book myself - yeah those tank pics are interesting - wish there were more. The crash inspection report in the Gotha! book for GV 979/16 is also very interesting - it describes two tanks behind the pilot but that are "full fuselage" width, completely blocking the tunnel/walkway back to the rear gunner position.

Wonder if tank installation varied greatly on these a/c....
-Patrick

Offline zavod44

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
There is a pic of one of the Gothas with the full fuel tank, actually there may be two.  I'll get the page #'s when I get home.....

Offline petrov27

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »
There is a pic of one of the Gothas with the full fuel tank, actually there may be two.  I'll get the page #'s when I get home.....

Ahh - yeah found one of them - page 57 pic 86
-Patrick

Offline steveb

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »
The 3D printed nose looks great! No sanding afterwards? What material are you laser cutting for the rings? I have access to one at work & would like to make a few parts.

Steve

Offline zavod44

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24:16 PM »
No sanding on the nose, it printed incredibly nice.  I am using acrylic sheets to laser, the rings.  That's what I did the tail out of as well..

Offline zavod44

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
Seems Pg 48 fig 73 has the possibility of the aux fuel tank on the fuse top on a G Va.  Seems small for a fuel tank, but it seems to be the same device as the one we see in the hangar....

Offline zavod44

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 04:19:08 PM »
In the back of the Gotha! book it says that the internal fuel tanks were made from Sheet brass, and they were 175 liters.  Ironically the fuel tanks from the G IV would fit perfectly in that space.  I'm still thinking that they would be square and not round.  If they were round they would most certainly need to have some sort of rack to sit in and stabilize them from moving around.  Do we know how many liters the G IV tanks were?  If they are close to that size then they would have to be very similar in size????

Offline DaveM

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 02:52:30 AM »
Unfortunately there is no known clear picture or illustration of the internal fuel tanks carried by Gotha G.V's.There is a description in the 'Ministry of Muntions' booklet,a 'Report on Gotha Bomber with notes on Giant Aeroplanes',which was produced in September 1918.
The booklet describes the tanks and their location thus:"Between the pilots seat and the rear gunners cockpit are placed the two main petrol tanks,which occupy the full width of the fuselage.The original intention of the designer was evidently to fit tanks of smaller capacity,shaped in such a way as to provide a communication tunnel between the pilots seat and the rear gunners cockpit.For this purpose the wooden bulkheads on each end of the tank space are deeply cut away on the left-hand side.With the existing arrangement of tanks,however,no interchange of personnel is possible.Another small point of interest is the inclination of the back of the pilots seat;for this purpose careful consideration of space has resulted in a wedge-shaped piece being let into the forward tank,indicating again that all possible means have been adopted to get the C.G sufficiently forward.The rear tank is of identical construction,and also possessesthis wedge shaped arrangement."
The booklet goes on further to state;"The two main petrol tanks carried in the forward prtion  of the fuselage are equal in size,and have a joint capacity of 175 gallons.They are made of sheet brass,and appear to be well provided with internal baffle plates.On the left-hand upper wing,slightly to one side of the centre line of the machine,is a streamline gravity tank,strapped onto the upper surface,above which it projects;this gravity tank,which is used vsolely for starting purposes,has a capacity of about 10 gallons.It is filled from one or the other of the main tanks by means of a hand-operated suction pump mounted on the right-hand side of the pilots dash-board,as shown in Fig.27.The two main tanks work under pressure;an air pump of the usual type is mounted within reach of the pilot."
Hope this helps some..........Dave.