Author Topic: 1/32 WNW Gotha G Vb  (Read 12658 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: 1/32 WNW Gotha G Vb
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 04:17:53 AM »
interesting stuff Dave!

Offline Der Phönix

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 03:31:05 AM »
Any chance this build will be revived??

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 05:35:06 PM »
Any chance this build will be revived??

Are you asking if it will rise from the ashes?😄

Offline Der Phönix

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 03:44:47 AM »
LOL!!!

Offline zavod44

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
Well I dragged this back on to my bench.  However I'm still torn over this fuel tank issue.  I need to solve it and move on.  I have three choices:  One, just cover it over and block off the walls that are normally cut away.  Two, try to figure out the Ministry of munitions report, which I really can't at this point, and three just come up with something that seems reasonable but it will prob be fictitious. 

Here is my thought process....option number 1 seems to easy and somewhat of a cop out.  Albeit it would be fairly accurate. 

Option number 2 means I need to figure out exactly what the Ministry of Munitions report means when they say the fuel tank has a angled part that matches the angle of the back of the pilots seat. If the tank somehow sits up close to the pilots seat then what happened to the wall that is between the seat and the tank?  is it removed?  Is there a hole cut in wall that allows the fuel tank to poke through? 

Option number 3 go with the fictitious set up......here are the pictures of my efforts.  I really don't like this set up.  I think I need to try to do something close to number 2 option.  I'm thinking the two fuel tanks that go full width of the fuselage with an angle on the front of each tank

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:55:30 PM by zavod44 »

Offline zavod44

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
They are for sure not barrels.  What do you think of the description of the fuselage on page 52 of the Gotha! book.  What about the co-pilot seat description?  Would it be mounted on the side wall?  Below the bulkhead wall below the cut out?

Offline zavod44

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »
I think if the seat were mounted back farther then the pilot would hit his head on the turtle deck.  I think my best bet would be to try to make some fuel tanks that fit in that space and there's an angle shaved off that matches the recline of the pilots seat back.....I just can't see them cutting the wall  behind the pilot.  Those walls have to be structural in some way and it seems that cutting any more would compromise that.....

Offline krow113

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 03:51:00 AM »
I am interested in seeing you move this forward.
I suggest setting aside fuel tank info and concentrate on the structural requirements of installing that much fuel weight into the center of the aircraft. I'm sure not all of the GV's were identical, crucial decision making info , and research info proves that fact over and over.
Need a confirming pic?
Here ya go:

There is a ton of info in that pic, none of it relevant to the fuel tank physical dimensions or placement.
Looks to me to be a rigid top cover , and a flexible, curtain?, across the back.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
In this picture you posted I think you can actually see the O2 tank sitting on the "co-pilots" seat.  I found another pic where you can see the top covering but no "soft" cover on the cut away wall.  I think I'll go with this set up.  It's kind of a combination of what I was thinking and something that was a reality.  I need to get this show on the road. 

If you look at this picture just to the left of the windscreen you can see the small gap of the bulkhead cut out.

That being said what machine gun is mounted in the front of this Gotha?

Offline krow113

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »
Good!
 I have the artwork for those load out decals as well as the other stencil that are in that pic. I got them ALPS printed in white but the file will work in black as well.
No need to worry , as you are miles away from that stage!

The M/G has a sight on it as well , I cant remember where I've seen it...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:54:30 PM by krow113 »

Offline zavod44

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 01:20:22 PM »
Do you think the thing that seems to be behind the pilot's head is the fuel filler?  Initially I thought it to be his scarf, but upon zooming in on the photo it may be a small edge of the fuel filler cap.

Offline krow113

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2019, 02:29:34 AM »
I'm sorry z44 I simply cannot immerse in Gotha research right now, I'd like to but am in a CAD learning curve at the moment.
There is a pic with the fuel cart and attendants , that may help with filler location.
But I would just forge ahead , making educated guess' as to fuel tank shape and filler location.
Pretty easy once you get going I would think....

Offline DaveM

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Hi,good to see you resurrecting this one.I found a GA drawing/plan on Flyingmachines.ru site.This vaguely gives positioning of these box like fuel tanks located in the fuselage of the Gotha,but again unfortunately they are not very precise,but at least its somewhere to start and it can give you a rough idea where they are located.
There is a photo on page 45 of the Gotha book from Albatros Productions,photo 63 showing a hanger scene with G.Va/Vb aircraft in various states of repair that shows a 'massive square fuel tank' in a G.Vb,but this only appears to be a single tank!
According to an article by the late Harry Woodman in the March 2003 Model Aircraft Monthly, the machine gun shown is a Parabellum model 14/17 fitted with a telescopic sight.
HTH and all the best...…….Dave.
Just been reading the New and Old kits-Add ons section and noticed that Gaspatch have released a Parabellum 14/17 machine gun with telescopic sight in their accessory range.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:05:44 PM by DaveM »