Author Topic: Gotha G IV WNW 1/32  (Read 21222 times)

Offline zavod44

Gotha G IV WNW 1/32
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »
So I feel like I'm a little late to this.  I have been working on this kit off and on for well over two years.  I have been building very slowly.  Sometimes I didn't touch this for 8 months at a time, life and things got in the way.  But a year ago I made a promise to myself I would have it done for a model contest in October......well I missed that.  Work was very hectic, but I am now in a position that the kit is very close to being done....I have been taking pictues along the way so what I figured is that I would come here and post as many pictures as I could at a time....it will be a build log but it will not be happening in real time, until I'm caught up and then we can go from there....I'm sorry if I am not making any sense.  I just saw some other Gotha kits being built and it gave me the courage to post pictures of my own.  Keep in mind this is the first ever airplane kit i have built.  Of course I did a few when I was a kid but this is the first one that I decided to do it the way I usually build other models.....I think I actually posted a few pictures of this here many moons ago and I wouldn't expect anyone to remember them so I'll start at the beginning....

Here is the kit with the interior painted and the engines built

I used the HGW seatbelts.  I used oils to do the wood grain. 

Here's where the plot thickens...I decided to use the wonderful Pheon decals and do the Lori 2 markings.  However I disagreed with Rowans idea that it was just painted dark blue.  I think it was field painted with the night hex cammo pattern.  I have had some discussions with a few people whom I trust and they think this plane was covered in hexes rather than just painted blue.  I really don't want to get into that discussion here I think that's for another day and another place.  I want to concentrate on the model I'm building.  So anyhow I decided to do Lori 2 in a night Hex pattern.  So the first thing I did was draw up a hex pattern in Illustrator and cut the hexes on a vinyl cutter.  Now I have a masking pattern and I can begin the work.  Mind you this is all a learning experience so I have tried to be very cautious along the way not to miss anything.  I'm not an old hand at airplanes let alone a giant biplane.

Anyhow the first thing I did was decide what colors I wanted to use.  I found some help from some people on line and I found a color combination I liked.  It was black, dark blue, a maroon color and gray.  I was still going to follow the patterns in the Pheon set, with some areas being the original light blue color.  So I painted those areas light blue.  They were masked and then everything was pained the dark blue color.  Then the mask was applied

It started to get confusing and I labeled every color so I would know what color to paint what.....

Then each color that was to be painted the hex was removed and sprayed.  When it was dry a mask was replaced back in the pattern and the next color was removed and sprayed

Once the colors were done, I removed all the masks and it looked like this

So I know I'm not doing this according to conventional wisdom, but I think this is correct and I'm feeling good about it.   In reality it took me about a year to get to this point

More to come.........
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:44:54 PM by zavod44 »

Offline stefanbuss

Re: Gotha G IV WNW 1/32
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
Impressive work.

I really don't want to get into that discussion here I think that's for another day and another place.  I want to concentrate on the model I'm building.
Nevertheless, i would like to learn how you came to your conclusion that Lori2 was hex-painted, and what colours you decided to use.

Please share your thoughts - i don't think they distract from your modelling.

Stefan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
You are doing a superb job with this build, the internal wood is an excellent colour and the engine looks very well done. You went to an enormous amount of effort to get the lozenge pattern on the fuselage and what you achieved is brilliant, looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
I agree 100% with Des! Brilliant work and tremendous Modeling skills!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 08:24:36 PM »
Hello there!!!

I think that your Gotha looks terrific!!! I've been looking for some scheme with this camouflage pattern and I'm pleased that It's possible it exists(ed) :) I'm not sure how I go with actual build (it is in the stars when I will build one) but I'm intending buying this kit next month, hopefully still in stock...
Anyway, I would be interested in how you came to this conclusion too ;) Have another opinion cannot hurt this topic :)

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 02:46:54 AM »
I have no idea if the hex pattern is correct or not (I trust your research), but it is awesome to behold!  Thanks for sharing with us,

Chris

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 03:42:20 AM »
I'm with Chris.

It is clear that you've put enough research into it so that it is at least historically plausible.

It is also incredibly attractive and my hat's off to you for the amount of work and level of your craftsmanship.

You are clearly an experienced and fine model builder so please share with us a note about what else it is that you build.

Mostly, keep going and keep sharing...this is fab.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 03:58:25 AM »
Zavod 44,
    That's very impressive work, a lot of effort rewarded by excellent results. It's a very impressive Model thus far, and I agree with Michael, you've done a lot of "homework" on your subject and the colour scheme is appropriate, especially if you are pleased with it. Very nicely done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline zavod44

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:15 AM »
I have found this scheme is plausible.  Someone who had done a whole lot of more research than I would even begin to know how to do, sent me a bunch of different Methuen swatches with different combinations of the colors that were used.  Apparently this scheme was field applied on an AEG G IV.  I tried this scheme with green instead of the gray which apparently was used frequently on the Gotha G IV's, and I could never get it the way I liked it.  I found plenty of G IV's with hex cammo.  I am no expert on this subject.   I suppose with everything there needs to be a little artistic license.  We all strive to make it a "beautiful" piece of art.  At the end of the day I have to like it, or I won't feel good about it in the end.  Oh and thank God for B&W photography....I can never be right, and I can never be wrong  ;)

Offline radio

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 05:38:32 AM »
Very great work.
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:02:07 AM »
Awesome paintwork, Brian!  I think this scheme is not only plausible, but likely.  I admire your patience!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 07:16:04 AM »
Whichever way the actual scheme was on Lori the work you're doing is truly superb.  My patience would have disappeared long ago!

Offline zavod44

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
Okay so here is an update....at was prob another three months by the time I got to this stage but it seems to be coming along   :)

I wanted to do the nacelles int he original light green color.  I though it would make a nice contrast to the very busy cammo scheme.  It would break up the pattern and give some interesting color as a whole.....I used the wonderful Gaspatch turnbuckles.  I plan to paint the rigging lines a darker color....

I Wanted to leave the rudder in the original light blue color as well.  I thought it would enhance the idea that it was a field repaint.  Again I thought it would break up the monotony.  Plus I really wanted to use the cool Gotha triangle logo.  The Pheon decal got the logo right.  The WNW decal is not as detailed, and therefore I wanted to make sure that decal got on this model.....

You can see the subtle weathering I did on the rib tapes on the top wing.  I did it by masking it and spraying a very thin dark brown wash over the tape.  I was very pleased with the result......

Another view of the cockpit.

I tried to capture the faded rubber look on the tires....We do know for sure Lori 2 had light colored wheels and darker rubber tires....

Well another month went by and I was able to get the wheels on and the fuselage mounted to the center wing section...

In retrospect I would not have mounted the wheels and landing gear until much later.....

A few details

The beautiful Pheon Gotha logo decal

I replaced the shock cord on the tail skid with some kind of braided fishing line.

I noticed on the real Gotha that the points where the rigging lines passed through on the fuselage they looked like pipes.  So I used .5mm brass tubes.  Cut into small sections and carefully glued in the slots on the kit

Subtle weathering over the decals and along the fuselage

I replaced the radiators with the wavy mesh.  I can't remember who made them but they came out pretty nice to my eye.

More to come........Tomorrow I'll begin the rigging of the fuselage   ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:34:39 PM by zavod44 »

Offline Dol

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »
What a great update ! I really like your weathering and the engine is superb  :D

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
Wonderfull!
Think globally, act locally!