Author Topic: Camel Markings  (Read 14845 times)

Offline rowan broadbent

Camel Markings
« on: December 22, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »
All has been a bit quiet at Pheon this year, but any reports of our demise are somewhat premature....we're still going strong and now that we seem to have successfully resolved a mix of personal, work-load and printing challenges we have a series of new releases to come. We start with the repeatedly delayed Post-war Ninack/Polikarpov sets (and etched wire wheels) early next year, following that,  readers of Winter Windsock will have seen that a new set for the Pfalz D.IIIa is coming to complement the two new Datafiles and then? well, what else but various flavours of the genus Camelus !

To wit, current thinking on Camel decals involves the following ideas (depending on indicated or anticipated demand):

10 Sqn RNAS stripy jobs for all three flights, red, blue and black.

Belgian Camels, including Olieslagers, Cremers, etc. - even Mantel's pink one...

The Ruston Proctor 1000th celebratory "Wings of Horus” (this as a special limited edition)

Other colourful RNAS squadrons: 9 Sqn, 3 Sqn, etc.

Camel Aces - probably two volumes

Colourful trainers and celebratory Camels – lots to choose from here!

Night fighting HD Camels (including one or two for the "Comic" in anticipation of a conversion?)

Research has been ongoing for a while, of course and with the revelation of WNW's comprehensive selection of Camel kits and confirmation of marking options, design work can now get going in earnest. We'll have to wait for the arrival of the kits in France before final design and tailoring can be completed, of course and the actual print go-ahead will depend to some degree on pre-order demand (pre-order offers and option details will be posted on the website in due course).

We'd be very interested to hear other Camel subject suggestions or particular support for any of the above ideas, either here or via email to:  [email protected].

We're obviously really excited by the imminent deluge of Camels but also guessing that we'll all be seeing a number of further new releases from Wingnut Wings in 2017 – if there was ever any doubt - Happy New Year, indeed!

Rowan and Sabine wish you all a Joyeux Noel et Bonne Année!

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Camel Markings
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »
I'd love to see the weird Trompe L'oeil scheme done...

Offline Jorgo

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »
A Greek Camel (as seen in the newest Windsock) would be nice  ;)

Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année!

Jörg

Offline markleecarter

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:34 PM »
I agree that the possibility to make any serial number would be a big bonus!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »
Wonderful news, Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you all also.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 12:16:24 AM »
    Exciting news to say the least! In no particular order Serial Numbers, the 10 Sqn RNAS "stripy jobs", and definitely some HD Comic Markings would be my vote for the list of projects. Excellent stuff, Rowan, and all the "Very Best" of the Season to you and Sabine!
Cheers,
Lance

Online Borsos

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 12:17:35 AM »
Great News!
Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noël and Fröhliche Weihnachten!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 12:18:16 AM »
Outstanding Rowan. One request from me. Please include a couple of 43 Squadron aces, in particular Wooletts bird, camo and non Camo, on the Aces sheets.  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 01:07:15 AM »
Thanks Rowen!  Great news!  I will probably order most of them, and am particularly keen on the Ruston-Proctor 1000th bird.  I am not sure of the Squadron off the top of my head, but how about the all-white Camel known as the White Feather?  (might already be in the ones you referenced). 

I wasn't terribly excited about the prospect for a WNW Camel, but with the Camelfest release and your proposed markings, I am now all in!   

Best regards,

Bob

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 01:09:09 AM »
I'd like a set of serial number characters  (i.e. A,B,1,2,3...) in the correct font so that I can build the plain PC10 one hanging in the museum here.

Because we know what a fan of plain PC10 you are :)

Offline drdave

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 01:39:48 AM »
Definitely up for the Belgian set. I'd appreciate a heads up on which engine types are needed for them so i can get my order in. Pre publish the artwork too Rowan, as it gets the saliva flowing.

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 02:04:53 AM »
a new set for the Pfalz D.IIIa is coming to complement the two new Datafiles

Hurray!

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 04:49:05 AM »
I'll add my hurrah here too!  Many choices, so everyone should be satisfied.  So Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo from Central California, and keep up the good work Rowan and Sabine.

Offline Brez

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 03:31:20 AM »
That's fantastic Rowan, the icing on the cake after WNW's news  :)

My personal favourite, which I've always thought would make a great looking model , is the "War-bonds camel" B6416

Cheers,
Tony
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:35:20 AM by Brez »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 04:57:26 AM »
I may be totally alone on this (I usually am, as evidence my desire for a Martinsyde Elephant), but I would love to see a sheet(s) for 2F.1 Ship's Camel N6818, as illustrated by Ronny Bar's exquisite 3 view on the inside back cover of DF 170.  One of the most beautiful and colorful Camels ever, imho.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence