Author Topic: Camel Markings  (Read 14683 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: Camel Markings
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »
I may be totally alone on this (I usually am, as evidence my desire for a Martinsyde Elephant), but I would love to see a sheet(s) for 2F.1 Ship's Camel N6818, as illustrated by Ronny Bar's exquisite 3 view on the inside back cover of DF 170.  One of the most beautiful and colorful Camels ever, imho.
Cheers,
Bud

A Martinsyde Elephant? Oh no, Bud, you're not alone!
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2016, 05:31:34 AM »
That's great news Rowan and I wish you and Sabine seasonal greetings.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Brez

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 06:01:38 AM »
I may be totally alone on this (I usually am, as evidence my desire for a Martinsyde Elephant), but I would love to see a sheet(s) for 2F.1 Ship's Camel N6818, as illustrated by Ronny Bar's exquisite 3 view on the inside back cover of DF 170.  One of the most beautiful and colorful Camels ever, imho.
Cheers,
Bud
You're far from alone on that one Bud, I'm sure.  N6818 would be a most popular choice, Ronny Bar's artwork just screams out "model me"
Cheers,
Tony

Offline Berman

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2016, 08:28:10 AM »
I hope you also produce these in 1/48th scale.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
I hope you also produce these in 1/48th scale.
Yeah, me too!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pierrelm

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 09:58:26 PM »
Season's Greetings Rowan
 I'd like to model 'P' D8101 of 66 Sqdn so that would be my personal first choice - just a remarkably typical 'Camel' looking Camel, if you see what I mean? Illustrated on p37 of the Osprey 'Aces'  title and there's a picture of this a/c on page 22 of the datafile, so I imagine this might fit in with your 'Aces' proposal - hopefully!

Otherwise I'd also like a sheet of the various letters/numbers used by different manufacturers for serials. That would be a real asset both for Camels and perhaps also for other, older types such as the DH2?

Thanks very much and I look forward to your conjuring!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:02:58 PM by pierrelm »

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 01:41:40 AM »
Season's Greetings Rowan
 I'd like to model 'P' D8101 of 66 Sqdn so that would be my personal first choice - just a remarkably typical 'Camel' looking Camel, if you see what I mean? Illustrated on p37 of the Osprey 'Aces'  title and there's a picture of this a/c on page 22 of the datafile, so I imagine this might fit in with your 'Aces' proposal - hopefully!

Otherwise I'd also like a sheet of the various letters/numbers used by different manufacturers for serials. That would be a real asset both for Camels and perhaps also for other, older types such as the DH2?

Thanks very much and I look forward to your conjuring!

amen.
Honor Necessity

Offline Brian James Riedel

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2016, 07:41:53 AM »
How about No. 65 Squadron F39911 "V" of Lt. A G Jones-Williams, No. 4 Squadron F1929 "Fums Up", No. 13 Squadron/ RNAS  B6212 "Black Prince" of FSL W A Moyle just to name a few.

Brian Riedel

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 09:29:12 PM »
I'd like a set of serial number characters  (i.e. A,B,1,2,3...) in the correct font so that I can build the plain PC10 one hanging in the museum here.

Because we know what a fan of plain PC10 you are :)

As Bo observes, Justin will have his little joke ;D..... but in all seriousness, producing such a selection of letters/numbers is not a simple task: 5,704 F.1 Camels were completed from nine different sub-contractors - each of whom had their own preferred "typeface" or sign writer's text (sometimes even this differed, depending on which particular sign writer was "on shift" for any given day) and the style of presentation and position of application of serials also varied between contractors.  Just creating a single set of numbers and letters is quite an undertaking and the prospect of nine - plus variations - is daunting indeed!

I think many modellers in the WWI field,  particularly if coming from other modelling eras, mistakenly expect levels of standardisation which were commonplace by the Second World War, often forgetting that 1914-18 was right at the start of mass production and the standardised systems to which that revolution gave birth. There were some exceptions, of course - particularly on the Teutonic side of the lines: printed camouflage fabrics, eiserneskreutz sizes and Pfalz stenciled serials, as some examples, but the sign writers art was still flourishing in Britain and it was these men (and it seems to have been an exclusively male profession) who found wartime employment at such places as aircraft and vehicle factories.

British serial numbers and their variations would make an interesting study for someone for publication in C&C, perhaps? I'd certainly read it!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
Speaking of 65 Squadron... how about E1537, a Ruston & Proctor built, Clerget 140hp powered (s/n 2303) 65Sqn Camel that came down in The Netherlands on 7-10-1918. It carried a bomb rack on that day. It was, other than the vertical bars on each side of the roundel, marked with a somewhat stylized "L" and carried the name "Bubbles". On that day it was flown by 2nd Lieutenant B. Lockey, who was interned in The Hague.
On 20-9-1918 and 1-10-1918 Captain N.E. Chandler used it to shoot down 2 Fokker D.VIIs, one on each day. On 2-10-1918 Chandler was wounded by Flak in E1537.
The aircraft was repaired and apparently recieved the Dutch serial S226 (unconfirmed), but repairs weren't completed and it was given back to the RAF on 12-3-1920.

I have 2 rather clear pictures of it in the Interned Aircraft of WWI book I recently got, though since it nosed over the aircraft is missing the wings, save for the centre section. Somewhat unfortunately, while they show the front and rear rather well, they're both of the same side (left).

Might not be the most colourful, but I'd love to see it included... based on the instructions of the WnW Camels I can try to figure out what optional parts to use, too?

Jeroen
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:56:29 PM by jeroen_R90S »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 04:11:08 AM »
Rowan,
I hope your plans are going well for the Came Aces sheet/s! One thing I noticed looking at my kit that arrived today is the MANY VARIANTS offered for Cowlings, upper fuselage, etc. I have a couple of photos of Wooletts Camel but would be totally unsure as to which set up to use. So a suggestion for you for those of us that aren't quite as good as others at picking out details. Perhaps something like probably similar to option D in the Clerget version would be helpful.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jknaus

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 05:35:40 AM »
I don't know enough about Sopwith Camels to make an informed request, but from the suggestions you have given this sounds like a sheet I will buy. Looking forward to when you produce it.
On a totally different tangent I have a Fokker Tripe scheme I would love to see. Maybe if you have some spare room on this or one of your other new sheets you could maybe add it as a bonus? It is the Royal Newfoundland Air Force Cod in the Ring Fokker Triplane.

as reported here http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/222/The-Pink-and-the-Black--The-Royal-Newfoundland-Air-Force.aspx

As I said if you have room and want to add a bonus.
Thanks.
James
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:39:54 AM by jknaus »

Offline Tnarg

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »
How about "Sylvestre" with Cleopatra and the snake on the fuselage, or maybe a Georgian Camel? Something "completely different".

Thanks,

Tnarg

Offline Vickers

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 01:58:16 AM »
Unless I missed it on the WNW site, I was disappointed to see that they did not include an option for No.4 AFC's Arthur Cobby. There was some mention of them releasing extra decal sets later, so perhaps his will be on one of those.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 04:49:30 AM »
a sheet of aces would be divine, since the Camel probably made as many aces as widows.

WNW included a Collishaw camel, but made the baffling choice of B6390 instead of D3417.

as someone mentioned, we need Cobby!

and little, definitely Little. i've seen an ALPS printed set for Little but he deserves the Pheon treatment.

Fall and Quigley would be nice additions too.

really like the idea of an RNAS set... and wish you'd reprint the Tripehounds...