Author Topic: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale  (Read 47281 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Jeannin Taube - 1:32 scale
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 01:12:41 AM »
Des, all I can say is that I'm truly and utterly gobsmacked, mate.  She's as clean and tight and detailed as any WNW kit.  Maybe more so.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 02:31:07 AM »
Beautiful work thus far, Des. Definitely deserving of all the superlatives, and I love the Mercedes symbol!

Question: how do you cut out curved lines like the cockpit openings so cleanly? I imagine for straight lines you're cutting along a straight-edge, but those curved lines look flawless. Pray tell?

Lindsay

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 06:43:50 AM »
Thanks Chris, Bud and Lindsay for your kind comments.

Lindsay - Using the 1:32 scale plans I have, I cut out the section involving the cockpit, I then remove the centre section (the hole) from the plan using a sharp scalpel blade, this is then placed on the sheet of plastic and marked with a fine tip marker. I cut the 'holes' using a very sharp scalpel blade (No.22) following the drawn line, this cutting is done free hand, one pass will do a good clean cut as the material is only 0.25mm thick. I think the main ingredient here would be a keen eye and steady hand.

Because of the small size of the Mercedes symbol I was going to forget about it, but after a little bit of experimenting I realised it was not that difficult to make, I'm glad I did go to the little bit of extra effort.

Des.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:58:59 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
very,very nice des. hell you just as well cover the thing with tissue/silkspan like a balsa model. you would get that authentic light passing thru effect. fabulous work though really. impressive stuff.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
Most of the fuselage frame is now covered, it went on very easy. The padding around the cockpit and observers openings are done with 0.9mm plastic tube, CA holds it in place. The inside of the 'fabric' is painted with Gunze Radome H318.

Des.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
This is very impressive. You make it look so easy - and I know its not!!!!

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »
Thanks Steve for your comments.

Another quickie update. I have added the upper mast, I still need to add the rigging connection plate and a small tank between the mast.

Des.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
I cut the 'holes' using a very sharp scalpel blade (No.22) following the drawn line, this cutting is done free hand, one pass will do a good clean cut as the material is only 0.3mm thick. I think the main ingredient here would be a keen eye and steady hand.

Oh drat. I'm seriously challenged in both of those regards.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2012, 12:44:41 AM »
Its interesting looking at the most recent photo then going back to page 1 and scrolling to picture one...four little quarter rounds of plastic. Beautiful work Des!!

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
Lovely work Des, you truly make it look easy. The Mercedes symbol on the engine is a very nice touch and really sets off your magnificent engine conversion.

As a matter of interest, do you work on other projects whilst waiting for things to dry, etc, or do you stay on task with the one project?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
I only ever work on one model at a time Andrew, I stick to it until it's finished then on to the next project, just my way of doing things.

Des.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »
Thanks Des ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Edo

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
Hi Des!
you work is really super!
Nevertheless, I had thought you'd come out with some sort of tricks of yours to cover the fusolage so to let the rigging somewhat visible...

Since I am planning something similar for my Morane Saluvier L, can you suggest something?

Thank you
Ciao
Edo

p.s.
of course any suggestion from everyone is most welcome!  :)

Offline GHE

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 02:54:57 AM »
Dear Des !

This kind of artwork is first class !
I always liked looking at models, discovering details and the feeling that it makes me fall to my knees
caused by the beauty of it.
Excellent  engineering!
Klasse!

viele Grüße, Gunther
LZeppelin rocks!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »
Hi Edo, I didn't have any 'tricks' up my sleeve to give the see through look for the fuselage, this particular aircraft did not have that appearance. Apparently it was covered with balloon fabric and was painted, so the transparency was not obvious. All the photos I have of the Taube do not show any see through effect.

I have added some more plumbing to the engine, this time the water pipe that runs over the top of the engine, it will have two pipes connected at the rear end that go to the radiators, the two white plastic tubes are where the pipes will connect, these will be painted black. I also added the water pipes which are at the base of each set of paired cylinders, I need to add the hose clamps. I made and fitted the rigging attachment plate to the top of the mast, this was made from thin brass sheet with eight 0.3mm holes drilled for the attachment points, I used brass for strength as the rigging will be tensioned to hold the wings.

Des.