Author Topic: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'  (Read 32879 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
Those look great. Thats going to be lots of feeding lol......

Steve

Offline RAGIII

chris, the cables look great! By the way the wood grain on your floor is fantastic! Well done as always ;)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

Hello Chris:

This is coming along nicely.  Your work is very nice, the wood grain, the control cables, very clean and neat.  Looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Chris Johnson

After posting a question in another thread, I've taken some of the advice proffered and gone ahead and installed the acetate viewing port.

I pre-painted the edges of the viewing port in the front deck, dipped the piece of clear acetate in Future (twice) and then super glued it in place on the inside. It worked! There was absolutely no frosting from the super glue, as you can see on the left side of the composite image above.

Seeing how that worked so well, I picked up a bottle of Micro Mask at the LHS (it's all he carries) and I brushed it on over the acetate, burying a piece of thread within it. If this goes well, I should be able to pull the masking off the acetate with the piece of thread, thereby eliminating the possibility of scratching it with the tip of a hobby knife.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
  Chris,
The viewing port instalation looks great my old friend. That's an excellent tip on using a bit of thread to help pull up your masking.I normally use a blunted tooth pick to remove mine never an xacto. With my luck I'd cut myself and still srcatch the acetate.
Highest Regards.
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

cool chris looks like you got it sewed up. i always liked that se5a scheme, little diff from all the drab pc-10 stuff.

Offline phs Paddy

Thanks very much for documenting this for us in picture and word. A bloke can't go wrong paying attention to your solutions.  :)

Well done.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Looks great!!!

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

Thanks very much for documenting this for us in picture and word. A bloke can't go wrong paying attention to your solutions.  :)

Well done.

Paddy

I can't take credit for the solutions Paddy. Among the many good suggestions I received, it was Piltdownman (Trevor) who came up with the thread idea here.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=180.0

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Nicely done, Chris  ;)

You are doing great work! Long may it continue.

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Enjoying following you along on this one,Chris. Very nice work and a very unique scheme. Looking forward to the completion.
Cheers,
Lance :)

Offline keith_christie

Hi Chris,

Thanks for passing on the thread tip, this will be very useful.
The perspex window looks really nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the red scheme on this one.

Best Regards

Keith

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Looking very good so far Chris, love the attention to detail, are you going to paint it red?  If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere that the plane wasn't painted red until 1919, after the war, but I could be wrong about this, perhaps somebody else could throw some light on the subject.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Chris Johnson

Looking very good so far Chris, love the attention to detail, are you going to paint it red?  If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere that the plane wasn't painted red until 1919, after the war, but I could be wrong about this, perhaps somebody else could throw some light on the subject.

Yes, I'm going with the postwar red scheme. My understanding is that this occurred soon after the armistice.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue

Yes, I'm going with the postwar red scheme. My understanding is that this occurred soon after the armistice.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes this was my understanding as well, that the plane was painted red in very late 1918 and carried the colour over to 1919 when he flew the red plane on his posting to Egypt, but there again I'm not too sure if this is correct.

Cheers

Pete.