Author Topic: Attaching and Masking Clear Acetate Vision Ports  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Attaching and Masking Clear Acetate Vision Ports
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:58:59 PM »
I'm coming up to the point where I need to install a clear acetate viewing port to the inside of the front deck of my Roden S.E.5a. I'm wondering how you fellows glue these items in place, and then mask them for painting. I usually use white glue to attach a clear plastic port and I mask it with a commercial or white glue masking solution. However, acetate is flexible and I'm a little concerned what might happen when I start to peel the masking off.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Attaching and Masking Clear Acetate Vision Ports
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:24:50 AM »
I would paint first and then install said window. Plug the hole, paint, unplug hole, touch up and then apply window with thinned white glue or Gator glue.

Simples!
 ;) ;)

Von Windowintime

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
Like Bob said.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »
..and dip them in Future floor wax ..think its actually called Pledge with Future floor wax. Really makes them crystal clear.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
have you ever seen that window maker stuff? i dont have it in front of me,maybe testors makes it. its in a diamond shaped bottle that sits crooked with the long stem. i have used that stuff to make small view ports. i just stuck the nozzle in the hole and squezed then kinda stretched it across. it looks milky when wet but drys clear and looks damn good. i was surprised how easy it was. i did it on a 1/48 se5 and be2e. just letting you know thgere are options.

Offline ALBATROS1234

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:16:33 AM »
Here's what I'm up against.

I was hoping to assemble the Front Deck and other fuselage pieces before painting the whole thing. The window maker Albatros1234 speaks of would do the trick in that regard. Alternately, I could paint the Front Deck separately, install the acetate port inside it, and then glue it to the fuselage. I'd have to do some filling and touchup after the fact though.

Am I making this more difficult than need be? That's usually the case.  :-\

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Piltdown Man

• ...an anthropological fraud
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:20 AM »
How about masking what needs to be masked with a fluid like Maskol and then installing the panel? As you mask the panel, incorporate a small length of thread in the fluid so you have a starting point to unmask it.

Trevor

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:32:41 AM »
I second that. Put the acetate in from underneath then mask it.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »
How about masking what needs to be masked with a fluid like Maskol and then installing the panel? As you mask the panel, incorporate a small length of thread in the fluid so you have a starting point to unmask it.

Trevor

I never would've thought about embedding a thread in the masking agent. That's a great idea.

I second that. Put the acetate in from underneath then mask it.

So you fellows don't think that the inherent flexibility in the acetate will cause it to come loose when I pull off the masking?

Cheers,

Chris

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
  Chris,
I wouldn't think so as long as the acetate glue is fully cured. I use regular superglue to attach my acetate panels after having given the piece several good coats of future to prevent fogging. Never to date had any problem pulling the acetate panels off. That being said I would imagine the larger acetate panel used the greater the chance the flexibility being a problem.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline gcn

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »
A masking solution such as maskol or my favourite is the Gunze offering should do it. I've found that in this situation there is a fair degree of risk in using a bog standard PVA glue as you could well push the part inside the aircraft. May well be worth Futuring the part and then using CYA or something like gorilla glue.

Apparently if the part does come loose a cocktail stick with a blob of blu tac, some patience and a fair degree of swearing will coax the part back.  :-[

Did I mention i've built one of these before

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
Apparently if the part does come loose a cocktail stick with a blob of blu tac, some patience and a fair degree of swearing will coax the part back.  :-[

Did I mention i've built one of these before

Reading between the lines, it would appear that I'm right to be concerned about that piece coming loose. I think I'll give it a couple of coats of future, superglue it in place, and hope for the best.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
i guess if all else fails you could get some window maker after the fact. its what ive used on my 1/48 se5a and be2e. on the se5a i forgot to put the window in so afterwards i went to the hobby shop and its what they suggested. worked so well its how i did it on my be2 which has 3 windows. after everything is done made it easy for me.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »
Yep, I'm definitely ordering that window maker stuff Albatros1234 but I'm too impatient to wait for it to arrive for this build.

Fingers crossed and forging ahead . . .

Cheers,

Chris